How quickly things can change. | The Boneyard

How quickly things can change.

Reaction Score
Friday, after working from home, my brother visited with his family, my sister came with her grandkids, and my niece and her boyfriend all came down to celebrate my mom's birthday early. It is Wednesday, September 2nd. It was a great get together. We all had a lot of fun in the pool and and it went very well.

Then, I was bummed to hear about Chadwick Boseman passing away, which got me thinking about Cliff. Then last night at 4:55 I was inside and my dad came running to the door and said call 9-1-1 because your mom just tripped and broke her leg. I won't get into the gory details, but it was a compound fracture of both the tibia and fibula, with a ankle dislocation. The doctor, who is a seasoned orthopedic surgeon who usually deals with sports injuries, said it was the worst break he's ever seen.
He cleaned it and barring infection, will perform the surgery in the next few weeks. Please, just pray she doesn't get an infection. I know deaths are worse, but when your close to someone, especially a parent, well I'm still in kind of shock. I think seeing a parent in pain like that just shakes you to the core. All their lives they have been the one who comforted you and to see them in pain just hits you in a different way.

Reaction Score
I presume she is home? Keep her reasonably secluded, make her wear a mask when out and make sure she is getting plenty of nutrients. I am a huge advocate of vitamins, minerals and natural antivirals/antibacterials. Multivitamins, D3, K, C, garlic, onions, turmeric etc. Just keep her loaded up on good stuff and lots of water. People with breaks like that often try to minimize the need to urinate because they need help getting to the bathroom. Terrible mistake. Keep her system on self clean mode. Get her a bed pan if that’s easier for her.

Reaction Score
She came home at 4 PM this afternoon. She's in good spirits. She's a retired nurse, so she knows infection is the big thing to watch for right now.
She is drinking lots of water and using the facilities as needed. My dad has a commode set up right next to the bed.

Reaction Score
At her age she'll need significant help. Sounds way worse than my tib-fib at 40 but the surgery was botched so I got to have a re-break 18 months later. Good doctor, smart parents and a little help she might be joking about it by Thanksgiving. Good luck to all of you. The first time she drops her leg off that bed after surgery will be like nothing she's ever felt before. Lol because you have no choice. Rearrange a few things in the house to make her trips more efficient. It's mentally tough but we have technology so checking in should help but depression can creep in. Check in.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the prayers and sharing your experiences. Right now, infection is what we are really concerned with.
I live with my parents. We moved from CT to VA together when my brother was diagnosed with Stage 3 lymphoma. We're very close. For example, I have two nieces who have already told their employers they are taking time off to help out. We didn't ask them to, but they love my mom so much. My brother, who has been cancer free for 15 years now, is driving up tomorrow morning. My sister is ready to help out.

The depression is also a little bit of a concern. She and my dad were suppose to drive up to the Cape on Friday and stay for 3-4 weeks.

Reaction Score
She came home at 4 PM this afternoon. She's in good spirits. She's a retired nurse, so she knows infection is the big thing to watch for right now.
She is drinking lots of water and using the facilities as needed. My dad has a commode set up right next to the bed.
Uggh! Thats just awful. Im not a religous man but she is in my thoughts and i hope she recovers quickly and everything goes well. I wish her the absolute best.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hey, that really sucks, but It sounds like you guys know how to rally for family and your mom is a nurse and knows what she needs to do to get all the way back.

I’ll put my money on a strong recovery here and hope that it’s sooner rather than later. Hang in there!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Knowing nurses the way i do, she'll laugh this one off in a month or 2. They're tough as nails. Good luck!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Said a prayer for your mom and for your family, but as Fishy pointed out, you guys already seem blessed.

Reaction Score
I'm not at all minimizing her pain or road to recovery, but if you're going to be stuck in bed for a prolonged period of time, this is as good a time to do it as you can have. Because no one is going to be leaving their house for 4 months this winter anyway.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really sorry to hear about your mom. She sounds like a wonderful woman. And you sound like a terrific son. Thoughts and prayers for no infection, a good result with the surgery, a speedy recovery and for you and all those close to your mom.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As I get older, I realize that falls are what is probably going to get you. Too many people I know have died from falls or the subsequent complications. That's how Dr. Atkins died. I'm glad your Mom is on the mend, I understand the seriousness of her situation.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Best of luck to your Mom and here's hoping for a quick and trouble free recovery
Had the same thing minus the ankle issue - it's not easy and I still suffer pain and issues in the bones but that is typical - had my knee replaced on the same leg 4 years ago - that leg is toast!!!
You should be so fortunate that you have extended family help - I had the same and it is so crucial - it will help you and your father maintain some sanity
GOOD LUCK Mrs Spaceman!!!

Reaction Score
Just want to thank everyone for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. She went to the doctors yesterday and there was no sign of infection and he doesn't believe he'll have to fuse the ankle either. Surgery will be in the 5 to 12 days.

Thanks again everybody.

Reaction Score
Life is just one thing after another. Wishing your mom a full and speedy recovery.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wishing for the best Space man.My mom broke her neck at 90 and fully recovered

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member