How nervous are you about Sunday's game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How nervous are you about Sunday's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm always nervous, but remember one thing. UCONN has never lost in the final four to a team which it hadn't played earlier that same season. So I for one am happy that they are playing Oregon State for the first time and when we win we will also meet a team that we have not played before in the Championship Game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Boy a lot of nervous fans. Think of it like this. What would it take for UConn to lose. IMO they would have to have at least 20 turnovers, shoot the ball poorly, and get in foul trouble. Remember UConn is a 20+ pt favorite and Im picking UConn to win 88-56. That's a lot of points to make up. OSU is a very very good team however they have never faced a team like UConn who is big, athletic and operates like a well oiled machine. A big machine like a steamroller. UConn is not just another good team they are exceptionally talented on both sides of the ball without much of a weakness. UConn aint gonna lose the next two games and I don't think it will be close. Think of it this way. How many close games has UConn had in the past 4 years???? Now if OSU gets off to a quick start or hangs with UConn that's fine. Don't worry. When the adrenaline wears off UConn will take command. Understand also for all of these teams its their first time here. They have to have some doubt in their minds as to whether they should be here, that's only human. UConns Big 3 are above that. I don't expect the refs to get UConn in foul trouble and I don't expect a close called game. If the game is called close OSU is the slower team and that spells foul trouble for them. Bottom line expect what we've seen all season . A fairly called game and UConns defense taking over. With that said I don't see OSU scoring over 60 pts against UConn unless Geno pulls the starters early because of a blowout and I don't see OSU or any other team keeping UConn under 80...do you??? UConn 88 OSU 56

Reaction Score
I'm nervously optimistic. I'll have on my lucky blue jeans, Grey t-shirt, all topped off with my UCONN sweatshirt. As backup, I have two loads of laundry all ready to go. When things get tense, I fold a load of clothes and that seems to right the universe. Hopefully all these offerings to the MOJO gods do the trick.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I, for one, am very nervous about Sunday. I hate it when UConn plays teams they haven't played before or seldom play. For the simple fact UConn has a tough time with teams like that. Plus this team is a good defensive team, which doesn't help matters. :confused: I just wish the game was on so I could see what we are facing....:)
Um think you are completely wrong. I love playing new teams because UCONN usually does really well against them. And I'm not nervous. Doesn't help any to be nervous. Contrary to what many on here believe, we have no affect on the outcome.

Reaction Score
What makes me nervous is when outlets like ESPN suggest that one of the essential things that the remaining teams have to do in order to prevent UConn from winning the national championship is to “get physical” or “rough Stewie up” and that the referees should “let them play” (Were these phrases ever meant to not encourage fouling?). I would be very disappointed if any UConn players were deliberately fouled and injured, especially by teams who have been informed that “they haven’t got a chance” and have nothing really to lose.

Reaction Score
A little nervous? Sure. But this team has certainly earned our confidence. What have we seen this year and in the last three tournaments to cause us to doubt them. I say YA GOTTA BELIEVE

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Um think you are completely wrong. I love playing new teams because UCONN usually does really well against them. And I'm not nervous. Doesn't help any to be nervous. Contrary to what many on here believe, we have no affect on the outcome.
WHAT!!!! Blasphemy!
I remember exactly what I did wrong the day of that Stanford disaster last season, and I was completely messed up during that awful spell when we lost so many games against ND. It was like i couldn't even tie my shoes correctly, and I had the wrong sequence on the three locks on my door, and I was eating all the wrong meals at the wrong times. And that doesn't even begin to cover the wardrobe choices I was making and which chair I was sitting in. IT WAS ALL MY FAULT!

There, they say confession is good for the soul, and this is the first time I have come clean with this dark secret that I have been carrying for so many years. It was my fault Maya lost her last Uconn game! I feel a great burden lifted form my shoulders. I hope you all can forgive me.

:eek::)

Reaction Score
I posted this yesterday on another thread on pg.2, but it fits here also:

Earlier today I was worried about OSU as "a team of destiny" type team, but as the day wound down I went back to the facts, many stated above, and now feel that UCONN can win by 25 to 30 points!
Who does OSU have to cover Stewie?
Hamblin is good, big, but slow and has bad endurance.
They have size to go with talent but UCONN has quickness, athleticism, "been there before", and loads of speed.
MoJeff will drive their G's crazy!
Tuck will cover Hamblin too much talent inside & outside
No one sells out on defense for 40 minutes like the Huskies!

And the main fact that gives me the confidence is as stated above:
They lost to TN at home!

So UCONN 87 / OSU 53!

Reaction Score
I tried to launch a poll on this question yesterday, but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and it wouldn't post. It had choices that ranged from ice water in my veins at one extreme, to heavily on medication at the other. Maybe someone with a more normal intelligence could do this for us.

Reaction Score
Honestly, not at all, for I know if it was close at the end, the Big 3 will all be in there, and they would will the outcome-one way or another - in UCONN's favor. :)

Reaction Score
It's a game. Of course, anything can happen.
As a coach, athlete and spectator I always have some nervousness, which becomes more like butterflies, then comes excitement and (when prepared) --in comes the confidence. Could take 5 minutes or a full half.
Some are nervous about what OSU will bring to this important game. Could be a Dayton or a Miss. State? With UConn, every practice and every minute of every game (even when up 40) is played at the ultimate level. That's what Geno states on day one. You practice and play at the level needed to win the NC. One does not wait for April to know what that feels like. The odds are UConn knows what NC level feels like. Do ya think?
Some are concerned about the big scorers on OSU. They really only have two. Could they take over like a Plum? Maybe. Here is what we do know. Four of the UConn starters have recognized situations where shots were not falling for others or the flow was off. Remember, MO took over the NC game last year and Stewie was very appreciative. Stewie and Morgan have taken over important games numerous times. Kia took over the Pan Am games and scored 33 because she knew it was needed. That's four. Lou has the potential to score 25 --probably better odds to do that then the 4th or 5th starter for OSU.
Some are concerned that UConn has not seen OSU play. Come on Man! UConn has seen top 10 teams with top defenses and with AA's who are long and tall. OSU is the team that has not seen the top defensive team (points), who is quick and long, with the top offense (89pts to OSU 67pts per game) and OH YEA--the best coaching staff and the best experience of winning of all time. I like UConn's odds. Just a bit.
Some are concerned and nervous that Geno will take OSU lightly and get surprised like ND, Maryland, and SC. Is today April fools day? I think it has passed. Geno gets nervous every important game (which means every game.) He knows what can happen and that's why he NEVER takes a team lightly.
Anything can happen----but I like UConn's odds. A lot! Let's play the game and see what happens.

Reaction Score
I will be more nervous later. I have read much about Oregon State's defense but haven't seen them that much so I do not know what to expect. I remember hearing about Mississippi State's defense and look what we did to them but they do not seem as good as Oregon State's.

Reaction Score
When I played a long time ago.Before our championship game coach asked if we were nervous and of course we said yes.He told us that feeling in your stomach wasnt us being nervous.It was the feeling of being excited to be in this game,to do what we came to do and finish the season they way we wanted to.Champions.I never thought of it as being nervous again.When I coached thats what I told the players and it helped them individually and as a team concentrate on what we needed to do.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One advantage OS has is that they've already exceeded the whole world's expectations. They know regardless of the outcome they've had a successful season. That should remove some pressure. We, on the other hand would experience a colossal failure if we lose. Also, they can see themselves in the David vs. Goliath role and pretend that everyone wants to see them topple UCONN. So the pressure is on us.
No problem, our gals don't get caught up in hype. We block out everything and focus on business as usual because of the great coaching by Geno et.al.[/Q

Sonny44, There is a lot of truth in your comments. Oregon State has exceeded everyone's expectations for them this year, and are therefore playing today with house money. Louisville played Baylor several years ago with that same mind-set, and shocked the world, as they took down Brittany Griner, Oddesy Sims and the mighty Baylor Bears (the defending national champions) by 1 point. Unfortunately for them, they then ran smack dab into a UConn buzz saw that was was hungry, full of resolve, eager to win a championship, and reestablish themselves as the dominate program in WCBB. Louisville caught a 35 point smack down in the process.

Don't look for that to happen today. Remember, UConn will be playing the same way they've been playing all year, against themselves. UConn is a well oiled machine that has been finely tuned to run at optimum efficiency. And they plan to do it for 40 minutes unless Oregon State is unable to keep up, and the game is decided much sooner. One more thing that many onlookers are failing to realize. A lot of folks are assuming that Oregon State is going to play the same type of game that they played to beat Baylor. Note:

1. They only scored 60 points in that game. That's not going to be enough to beat UConn. Everybody knows that, including them. They're problem is that they are going to have to generate more offense against a team whose defense is much better that Baylor's.

2. Oregon State can just as easily stink up the arena today with a performance similar to that in games that they lost this year. There are no guarantees that they are going to come out, and play their best game of the year today. All of their shots could fall early, or there could be a lid on the basket. We won't know until the game starts.

3. They have not played UConn this year. Remember what the Duquesne players said after the game. They were in denial pregame, but were very transparent in their post-game interview session. They admitted that they weren't ready for the quickness and intensity that UConn brought into the game. I remember one player said "UConn must have scouted us pretty good, because they were blowing up our plays right from the start".

Geno likes to set the tone for the game in the first 5 minutes of the game. It's not unusual for the Huskies to jump out to a double digit lead in the first 5 minutes. Teams know that if you get down to UConn early, its almost impossible to recover, because UConn just keeps pouring it on (just ask the players from Robert Morris - UConn put up 41 against them in the 1st quarter).

If one of the BIG 3 is hot at the start, its going to be a long day for their opponents, because that player will get the ball open and often. Remember what Geno said: "in order for us to lose, the other team will have to play their A+ game, and we'll have to help them". Odds are UConn didn't wake up feeling benevolent today. Don't look for any upsets today, at least not in the first game. Go Huskies. :cool:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I am a bit nervous - this team we are playing reminds me of the BYU team we struggled with well into the 2nd half in Nebraska. Except this team is much more talented. Having said that, I'll be surprised if it ends up under a 22-25 pt game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
In my youth I was told that you're supposed to have butterflies before big events, that it is a normal human response and that if you didn't have them you weren't taking things seriously.

Be that as it may, I am not nervous. I am always cognizant of the possibility of a rolled ankle or unwelcome foul trouble (see 1995). So there is a fear of the unexpected or unlikely, but I am in a calmer, more relaxed state than any of the past three years. Here's why:

1. UConn has the best defensive backcourt in the country. That is a tremendous asset. Also, one of them is a big guard who can handle a variety of opposing players. Very few teams can switch like UConn; Kia is a big reason for that.
2. UConn has the best one-two punch on defense in the country, and maybe in the history of WCBB. I'm talking about Mo and Stewie. Mo is the first line of defense. She is arguably the best defensive disruptor on the perimeter ever. Who's been better? That is of immeasurable value. Stewie may not be the very best rim protector ever (see Griner), but she's up there. And she probably gets more steals that anyone her size has ever had.
3. This team is first in the country (so I'm told) in least fouls committed. On the obverse, they are the number one team in the country in free throw percentage.
4. This team, like last year's, starts five players who can shoot the three. Who else does that? DePaul, I suppose. No matter what kind of junk or semi-junk defense the opposition tries, they risk being burned from the arc.
5. Gabby is the top sixth-woman in the country. No elaboration needed.
6. While it's true that the OSU coaching staff has had a week to prepare for UConn, the converse is also true. And Geno and CD are not at their first rodeo.
7. Then we have the Big Three, and they don't.

I could go on, but is there really any need to? :cool:

Reaction Score
I'm nervous about this one because it is so important. But I tend to get nervous about the games - not really connected to reality.
Oddly, I find it much more nervewracking to watch at home than to be at the game. Yeah, wish I were there!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I just learned a new way to overcome anxiety in a critical moment. In today's account (Norwalk Hour) of a thrilling HS lacrosse match (Norwalk vs. Stamford, 8-8 in OT), the NHS goalie reportedly made a critical save with 11 seconds remaining to prevent a heartbreaking loss. When interviewed, she explained her heroics:

"I was so Zen...."

See, Huskies, ya just gotta have a little Zen (whatever that is).:rolleyes:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I just learned a new way to overcome anxiety in a critical moment. In today's account (Norwalk Hour) of a thrilling HS lacrosse match (Norwalk vs. Stamford, 8-8 in OT), the NHS goalie reportedly made a critical save with 11 seconds remaining to prevent a heartbreaking loss. When interviewed, she explained her heroics:

"I was so Zen...."

See, Huskies, ya just gotta have a little Zen (whatever that is).:rolleyes:
Maybe Kaizen can inform.

Reaction Score
If we didn't have so many weapons on offense, the "on a mission" mindset, the defensive focus that our beloved UConn ladies have, or the quality of coaching that our ladies have, I would be nervous. We can play both ends of the floor, well! Not to take anything away from any of the other teams in the Final Four. They are some great teams left. But to know that we have the mental edge in these games is going to be a huge plus for our ladies at UConn. Having been on the Big Stage so many times is going to give our girls that extra boost. I am not nervous. As coach Wooden always use to say to his players "Why should we be nervous. We know what we have to do. Now let's go get it done!"

Go, Huskies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak