How nervous are you about Sunday's game? | The Boneyard

How nervous are you about Sunday's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
I, for one, am very nervous about Sunday. I hate it when UConn plays teams they haven't played before or seldom play. For the simple fact UConn has a tough time with teams like that. Plus this team is a good defensive team, which doesn't help matters. :confused: I just wish the game was on so I could see what we are facing....:)

Reaction Score
I hope I'm not committing the sin of hubris but I'm not nervous at all. UConn is the better team by a lot. Much better offense and better defense. We have Stewie and they don't. We have Moriah and they don't. And we have Morgan and they don't. Enough said.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"Pride goeth before..."

It seems that the basketball karma has plowed a road for the Huskies. And THAT is what worries me. The team needs to take the next two games very seriously. It's just too tempting to mentally relax, as so many fans have seemed to do. And if you're wondering how could they not be on point, just refer to some other scores from both the men's and women's tournament. One and two seeds got chopped down like Chinese elm trees.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I'm always nervous when UConn is in the Final Four. Invariably, the only teams left standing this time of year are (1) really good, (2) playing really well, or (3) both of those things. Any opponent who makes it this far is worth respecting. Sure, UConn has the best team and will almost certainly need to have an off night for someone else to beat them, but crazy things can still happen in March and April. For example, once upon a time UConn had the nation's two best players and still managed to score a grand total of 12 points in the first half of a national championship game. Why? Because sometimes crazy things happen. That particular thing wasn't crazy enough in the end to cost UConn the game, but still. I take nothing for granted when it comes to UConn winning in the Final Four. Also, I especially want this year's championship for Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan, so I'm probably a little more nervous than normal.

However, I'm not particularly concerned about the fact that the teams are unfamiliar with one another. If anything, I think that factor works to UConn's advantage. But Oregon State strikes me as a smart, tough, physical team that won't quit easily, and if they hit enough outside shots and grab enough rebounds (both of which they're capable of doing), they could prove to be a major headache. As I said in another thread, I do think that Oregon State has more things to worry about in terms of matchups than UConn does. But I cannot treat this game, or any game this time of year, as a foregone conclusion.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
NO, I'm not nervous at all, here's why. NONE of the Oregon State players have ever been on a stage of this magnitude before. This IS NOT just another game, and they know it. Geno was "queasy" before the great 8 game with Mississippi State last Monday. He's a seasoned veteran of bringing teams to final fours. He's been coming to these for over two decades. Now if HE still gets a little nauseous, what makes you think Oregon State's players are not going to feel the pressure too? Especially if UConn jumps out to an early double digit lead. We've all seen a quick double digit lead to the flood gates opening W-I-D-E. Once you find yourself looking that far up at UConn, you know you're done. You know UConn is not going to let up, or take their foot off the gas.

Odds are they don't get any sleep tonight. They've seen UConn play on TV before. They know what's coming. They'll all be pondering the same thing. How do we stop a team that's won 73 games in a row, and has momentum?
This is the BIG 3's 4th time to the finals. They know what to expect. They know exactly what it's going to take to win this game. There will be no "unknown" for them tomorrow. There will be no quit, no hesitation. They'll be ready. They'll be ready to play 40 minutes if they have to. They want to end this season, "the right way". They will not be denied. Geno will have the whole team "jacked up" when they come out of that dressing room. UConn will be all business tomorrow from the tip, to the final buzzer.

They've never been this close before. Remember, Mississippi State came in with just about the same record and credibility as Oregon State. UConn has played teams with tall shot blocking posts this year. None of them were effective.
A couple of early fouls, and they were on the bench. After Stewie blocks a couple of their shots, they become hesitant to try her again. Every player on UConn's roster understands that this is a business trip. For UConn, it will be business as usual. Basketball the way its suppose to be played, UCONN style.

The question for the game tomorrow is can the Beavers score 70 points? UConn will score at least that many. I say NO! I predict OS does not break 70 points. They'll have to score more that 70 to beat UConn. If Oregon State's offensive scheme is successful in the first half, Geno will make adjustments at the half. He always does. Carnac says relax, lean back (grab a cold one) and enjoy the game. You'll be watching women's college championship basketball at its finest.

Go Huskies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope I'm not committing the sin of hubris but I'm not nervous at all. UConn is the better team by a lot. Much better offense and better defense. We have Stewie and they don't. We have Moriah and they don't. And we have Morgan and they don't. Enough said.

I'm giving you a high five ball hawk. A man after my own heart. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm as nervous as a snowman in July, especially with how the Men and Women top seeds have disappeared in this years March Madness. This season has been Wackier than me. That said, I still have faith in OUR UCONN HUSKIES to bring home title #11! Our 3 All Americans will find a way to get it done.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
While I'm confident UConn will win, there's still a concern how will Mo, Morgan and Stewie nerves be They're tying to accomplish something that's never been done, 4 Straight National Championships. Their final game(s0) with no chance of a do over. Then what you can't control until the game is being played, how will the Ref's call the game. Will the big three get into foul trouble and if that happens how does Kia and KLS react. The game has to be played while I expect UConn to win, anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Every player on UConn's roster understands that this is a business trip.

Kudos to Carnac the Magnificent; that quote sums it up in a nutshell. For the other teams in the Final Four, this is their shot, [likely] their only chance, and they will have to do it against a team for which this is Business As Usual. That kind of pressure usually begets anxiety, which in BBall means banging shots off the back rim, inaccurate passing, defensive lapses, and foolish fouls in the first few minutes. Against this UConn team, that can have you down by 20 in short notice.

All of that is blood-in-the-water to the UConn shark attack.

It ain't over 'til its over, but I'm not breaking out in a cold sweat. Practices are hard, games are easy. These Girls won't let each other down. They know their Duty, and will stand by it.

Reaction Score
One advantage OS has is that they've already exceeded the whole world's expectations. They know regardless of the outcome they've had a successful season. That should remove some pressure. We, on the other hand would experience a colossal failure if we lose. Also, they can see themselves in the David vs. Goliath role and pretend that everyone wants to see them topple UCONN. So the pressure is on us.
No problem, our gals don't get caught up in hype. We block out everything and focus on business as usual because of the great coaching by Geno et.al.

Reaction Score
The old timers here will recall... the last gal to break my Husky heart was named Ruth. There have been a few other losses since, but that one haunted - still does a tiny bit

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm always nervous in the national semis and NC game. Uconn is 10-6 in national semis games, but those six losses came under circumstances that don't apply tonight. However, Oregon State is a different sort of team, and we have to have been prepared for that matchup.

On the other hand, this is a game Uconn *should* win. Oregon State has not executed well enough to beat anyone better than Baylor, and they haven't posted especially strong margins of victory over teams the Beavers should beat. Generally speaking, Uconn beats teams like this.

Of course, I'll be nervous simply because of what's at stake. I want to see Uconn accomplish something unprecedented, as well as for Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah, to go out on top. It would be heartbreaking if that didn't happen, and I do think about that even though I expect it to.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

and. . . we have Kia and they don't, we have Lou & they don't. game over

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
upload_2016-4-3_8-0-40.png
My nightmare.

Reaction Score
I'm only nervous because UConn has a losing record when they play the early game. When I watched the OSU-Baylor game I remember thinking that this UConn team could beat either one of them. But, it's my nature to be nervous when they get to this point. So, I'll record the game in case I need to walk away from the TV for a bit. I do believe that the senior three are locked and loaded which makes me feel infinitely better. However..I wil appease the MOJO Gods in my own quirky way by saying... WE ARE DOOMED..DOOMED I TELL YOU!! :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Slightly nervous because I remember Senior Night and the impact that emotion had on the 1/2 half of that game. Combine that with Geno's emotion in accepting AP COY award yesterday and emotion is the only thing I can see UCONN having to overcome.
This edition of the UCONN machine makes it very easy to forget that the machine is fueled by human beings.

Reaction Score
"Pride goeth before..."

It seems that the basketball karma has plowed a road for the Huskies. And THAT is what worries me. The team needs to take the next two games very seriously. It's just too tempting to mentally relax, as so many fans have seemed to do. And if you're wondering how could they not be on point, just refer to some other scores from both the men's and women's tournament. One and two seeds got chopped down like Chinese elm trees.
I'm not nervous on that count. Geno's teams don't take any opponent lightly, even when they're ridiculously ahead.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm always nervous when I have a strong rooting interest. Always. That's just my nature. I am not quite as nervous this year as I was, say, three years ago when they were about to play Notre Dame for the 4th time that season (having lost to them in each of the previous 3 times) or the following year when both teams were undefeated heading into the final. But I'm still nervous. I'm trying very hard to force myself to enjoy watching the game and not to let my partiality ruin my enjoyment of the process.

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
Not nervous one bit. The reason to go to games is to have fun and see UConn play. Everyone who is nervous likes to be nervous. Me, I go in with confidence and watch UConn win. In the past years it has worked out great. I like going into games believing UConn will win and watch it happen. There is no way I could travel all around game after game seeing what this team can do and be nervous.The thing I am nervous is getting my camera into the game. For the open practice they took it away until after it was over. Even if it is not allowed in for the game its going to be a awesome night

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Slightly nervous because I remember Senior Night and the impact that emotion had on the 1/2 half of that game. Combine that with Geno's emotion in accepting AP COY award yesterday and emotion is the only thing I can see UCONN having to overcome.
This edition of the UCONN machine makes it very easy to forget that the machine is fueled by human beings.

Perhaps the staff will find a way to use this info to an advantage. You were nervous on Sr Night, Elite Eight, and both turned out ok. So just go out there, play hard, have fun, enjoy each other.

Me? I'm more nervous counting down the hours and minutes before the game. It's like that scene in Cutting Edge:

Doug: Man, this overnight thing is brutal. Why can't it be a double header, you know? Short program, long program. Same night, boom, we're outta here, you know what I mean?

Kate: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

Doug: It's like 'Enough already!' It's like... what's the word? Uh, y-you know what word I'm looking for? Wh-You know what I mean?
I'll leave the rest out to keep it G rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom