• Since we became a national power

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • Recently (Ollie era)

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been a fan since the 1990 Dream season. Cant remember which game came first but when we beat Gtown and Cuse i was absolutely hooked. The excitement of those games as we were starting to run with the big boys was incredible.

Reaction Score
Whatever year Whelton and Hansen and the boys were tearing it up. In 7th or 8th grade my junior high Spanish class went to some conference on campus and ran into Tony H outside the Fieldhouse. (I started watching a couple of years before that I think).
I don't think I have ever seen anybody drive the baseline as well as Tony H.

Reaction Score
1981. Corny Thompson, Michael McKay, Chuck Aleksinas.
Yep, Born in '68, attended UConn 87-91 and remember as a kid watching Chuck, Corny, McKay and company play. Went with my father to watch Providence-UConn play at the New Haven Coliseum, circa 1978

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Born in 85. I's say I started watching around the Ray Allen days and then became obsessed after they won it all in 99.

Reaction Score
Just curious. Personally, my first games were during the end of Perno's run. It was so amazing seeing JC turn everything around.

Two years removed from the Dream Season.

So, since KO's frosh year ('91-'92).

Reaction Score
I remember watching Uncle Cliffy, but the Dream Season sealed my fandom. Spent many afternoons that spring/summer re-creating Burrell to Tate George in the driveway with neighborhood friends.

Reaction Score
Born '68, Graduated from New Britain High 1986... My first memory of watching UCONN sports was around 1975 :)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Became a fan cuz Al Weston came from my home town. Loved listening to the radio w the Whelton, Hansen, Abro teams, and then of course Corny/McKay/Aleksinas. Still remember listening to the NCAA game lost to Rutgers in 1976....Uconn was very good then, but Rutgers was obviously awesome.
Cromwell boy?
Coached Al's daughter in soccer for years
Very close friend of the late great Pete Denz

Reaction Score
The first Christmas present with a plug I ever received was a clock-radio in 1966. Since it was winter, that meant listening to UConn basketball on WTIC. Also, TIC broadcast Hartford Capitols games from the Eastern Basketball League. I remember Scranton being a big rival.

Wes was voted "most popular Cap".

Reaction Score
Bob Stack, Bob Boyd, Ron Hrubala, late 60's

used to listen to the games on AM radio

only televised games were against RI & MA on CPTV

Same here. Listened to Erlich under my pillow at night. Kind of knew a little Wes and even went to a game or 2 but the memory of when I began listening, watching and being a huge fan was this team. Then guys like Cal Chapman, Al Vaughn came along and I was hooked.

Reaction Score
Same here. Listened to Erlich under my pillow at night. Kind of knew a little Wes and even went to a game or 2 but the memory of when I began listening, watching and being a huge fan was this team. Then guys like Cal Chapman, Al Vaughn came along and I was hooked.
Born in 1959, used to listen on my Grandmother's radio. You turned it on and it took about 5 minutes to warm up. Remember first teams had Bob Stack, Bob Boyd and Ron Hrubala (sp). Also have a vague recollection that one of the announcers would call the Husky dog the Husky Bear. Not even sure if that really happened , but again I vaguely believe it did.

Fell in love with junior college transfer Jimmy Foster and have never stopped following them. Went to UConn and graduated in 82. Have had only 1 bet in my life ( wife's idea), and I named it Calhoun

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My dad took me to my first game against Syracuse in 1995 when I was 4. I was amazed by UConn's crafty point guard, one of my favorite players to this day: Doron Sheffer.

Reaction Score
Toby Kimball, AL and Ron Ritter, Ed Slomcinski, and one my all time favorites #14 Dan "The Spider" Hesford. My first game was in 1967 The Poughkeepsie Popper torched New Hampshire for 42. Man, so many thrills over the years. KO has got to turn this ship around. It's killing me.

Reaction Score
I actually grew up a St John's fan...loved Louie, Mullin, Walter Berry, etc. Went to Uconn my sophomore year in 89, had season tickets to the new Gample and eventually became a die hard fan. Only time I've ever changed team loyalties...

Reaction Score
Just curious. Personally, my first games were during the end of Perno's run. It was so amazing seeing JC turn everything around.
Mine were around when Perno was playing. Early 60s.

Reaction Score
Millennial here, and this is my UConn story..

In 1999 my 5th grade teacher was a UConn Alum and structured Math class on the mens season stats. We all were assigned a player; I got Kevin Freeman, and I watched and tracked his stats every game the entire season. Needless to say watching a magical season of El Amin and Hamilton, Jake Voskuhl fouling out every game, and a trip to Tampa to cut down the nets for the first time had my 10yr old self hooked on all things Huskies. I've bled blue ever since.

Thank you Mrs. OK

Reaction Score
1978, my freshman year at UConn. First game I saw was a televised loss to Yale, but I was hooked for life. Before that, I lived in the Danbury area, where at the time there was not much interest in UConn athletics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Started to listen to Floyd Richards and George Ehrlich in late 50s when I was in high school in Poughkeepsie. Huskies featured Jack Rose, Al Cooper, Wayne Davis, John Pipczynski, Pete Kelly, Joe Uhl, Rollie Sheldon, Bob Countryman, et al. Consistently won the YanCon and was solid across the schedule.

Arrived at Uconn in 1960 with Dom Perno, Ed Slomcenski, Al Ritter and Billy Della Sala. Great years followed and I stayed through June '65 to watch my fellow Poughkeepsian, the late Wonderful Wes Bialoksunia, Toby Kimball, Spider Hesford, Billy Holowaty, Ronnie Ritter, PJ Curran, Dickie Thompson and Tommy Penders.

Last game I saw as a student was 67-61 loss to third-ranked St. Joe's in NCAA regional game in Palestra which was St. Joe's home court. Made no difference back then. Had them at the half, but Matty Guokas and Cliff Anderson were too much in second half. Toby pulled down 29 REBOUNDS and 21 points, but Wes was tied up pretty well by Guokas and only scored 13 points.

Year before Perno stole ball from Bill Bradley and we knocked off Princeton in second round of NCAAs, only to fall to powerful Dukw squad in Raleigh. UConn showed both games at Jorgenson Auditorium on big screen. This team was not nearly as strong as 64-65 squad, but had best NCAA run until 1990s.

Still going strong as big fan in Schenectady where I proudly wear my blue/white colors in a sea of Orange. Remain hopeful that present team will develop in California and Maui. Team needs to play aggresively, but stay loose and gain its confidence. And somewhere, there have to be some outside shooters, and REBOUND. And, I will be at MSG on December 5.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1978, freshman year as well (which was also Corny & McKay's freshman year).

Reaction Score
81 or so. Michael McKay and Norman Bailey era. I was in 10th grade and used to watch the games on a black and white TV. I think the games were on channel 20 or some other b grade UHF station. LOVED UConn basketball from the first game I watched.

Went to UConn in the fall of 83. Gerry Besselink was in one of my first semester classes. Great guy. First game I went to was against Seton Hall and PJ Carlisemo. It was $1 and your student ID to get in. Then I started getting paid like $30 to go to the games as an "usher", nothing job. You seat like 8 people and pretty much get paid to watch the game. Sweet gig. Went to almost every home game while there, plus bus trips to MSG like when we won the NIT in my last semester.

Became friends with Greg Economou and got to play pick-up against Earl Kelley.

Those were good days. This thread just made me realize that I haves loved UConn hoops for 35 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom