How intimidating can we make Gampel on Wednesday? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How intimidating can we make Gampel on Wednesday?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After the Hartford Civic Center collapse, my dad would drive us up to Springfield to see the Whalers play. I can remember more than a few occasions of him driving back in pretty significant snow storms. He gave no visual indication that it in any way stressed him. It wasn’t until years later driving as an adult in bad weather, that his passive expression and attitude was just “dad game face.”
As I get older and my sense of immortality wanes, I'm not longer willing to do what used to seem ordinary. "Let's drive through a blizzard in my Prelude to watch a game and drink beers, then drive back late at night" just doesn't have the appeal it once did.

Kudos to our fans who make it to either venue to support the team.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Amazing how many people were leaving at the U8 timeout with about 6.5 mins left in the game. I get it's a blowout, but was still surprised at the numbers
I unfortunately was one of those fans, but it was due to my youngins deteriorating. Good thing we left when we did, they were passed out before getting out of the garage.

Reaction Score
I agree with this for Gampel, and in theory for Hartford. But in Hartford the students don't even show up. If you allocated all those seats to them, would half of them be empty? They don't even fill the sections that are allocated to them behind the basket. Would they if they were seated courtside, I don't know.
The students don't show up in Hartford due to transportation. They are college students. How many of them have cars?? I'm not sure how the shuttles operate, but in imo that's a clear sign that more home games need to be played on campus.

Reaction Score
The students don't show up in Hartford due to transportation. They are college students. How many of them have cars?? I'm not sure how the shuttles operate, but in imo that's a clear sign that more home games need to be played on campus.
There's plenty of tranpo provided. If you're too cool to ride a bus, then I don't know what to say. You just don't care about the team.

Reaction Score
I despise everything Duke but their home court atmosphere makes me green with envy sometimes.

F Duke though…
No argument from me on that, and will always carry the same dislike for Laettner… I even get a little tick in my eye when Bobby appears on the screen with Danny at times…

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My game day crew is fired up and ready to roll. All hands on deck. +4 lunatics tomorrow.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
There's plenty of tranpo provided. If you're too cool to ride a bus, then I don't know what to say. You just don't care about the team.
Seriously. What's better than a DD for the whole gang?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I will say this: Basketball is Fun Again™️

It wasn’t the outcome we wanted, but for a game where UConn was out of it within the first 4 minutes and down nearly 20 at a couple points … that was the loudest I’ve felt Gampel since probably 2014. I left the game really disheartened they couldn’t come away with the win but somewhat on a high from the experience. It is so so good to be playing high stakes basketball against real opponents again.

And for everyone who has complained over the years about hype music, DJs, Gameday Conor, etc. - I think Dave Benedict is doing a tremendous job of listening to fans and making changes. The music selections are so much better, particularly during player introductions. The hype video before introductions is light years better than past years. They know we’re all just a bunch of evolved apes and throw t-shirts nearly every timeout to get the place loud.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t the outcome we wanted, but for a game where UConn was out of it within the first 4 minutes and down nearly 20 at a couple points … that was the loudest I’ve felt Gampel since probably 2014.
Absolutely!

Reaction Score

It wasn’t the outcome we wanted, but for a game where UConn was out of it within the first 4 minutes and down nearly 20 at a couple points … that was the loudest I’ve felt Gampel since probably 2014. I left the game really disheartened they couldn’t come away with the win but somewhat on a high from the experience. It is so so good to be playing high stakes basketball against real opponents again.

And for everyone who has complained over the years about hype music, DJs, Gameday Conor, etc. - I think Dave Benedict is doing a tremendous job of listening to fans and making changes. The music selections are so much better, particularly during player introductions. The hype video before introductions is light years better than past years. They know we’re all just a bunch of evolved apes and throw t-shirts nearly every timeout to get the place loud.

yeah he's really doing a lot behind the scenes. Delivering hot drinks and pizza to fans camping out before games. He's always constantly on Spaces after the games. See him giving fans seat upgrades. He's def involved.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Gampel crowd brought it. Shout out to everyone in attendance. Even the little kids in front of me were standing and yelling for basically the whole game. Terrible outcome. Terrific atmosphere.

Reaction Score
One way to surely fire up the crowd…

I hope AD Dave reads the boneyard and knows that we NEED Red Panda!!!!

We cannot let Rutgers show us up.

Red Panda is an absolute must get for one of the final two Gampel games. Place will be rocking coming out of halftime.

Reaction Score

Agree with all of the above. One minor and silly quibble would be to swap out the sad smoke machines during player introductions and go back to the fire towers from 3 years ago. The smoke machines don't even work most of the time and the fire was fun and were much more entertaining. It has next to zero impact on anything but just from a presentation standpoint its something I've noticed this year.

Reaction Score
years ago we had this type of contraption at UConn games.
salvage.0.jpg
It needs to return

Reaction Score
I consider myself a major crowd snob. When Florida last visited at Gampel, I criticized the crowd's enthusiasm while the rest of the board raved about it. That said, last night's crowd was stupendous. Almost everyone stood for almost the entire second half, even when we fell back to a 10 point deficit after getting to within a point. The pace of play and shot making played a big role in it, so I don't want to go overboard, but that was nonetheless the best Gampel crowd I can remember since I started attending games as a non-student in 2018.

Let's give Marquette and Providence a similar welcome!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I consider myself a major crowd snob. When Florida last visited at Gampel, I criticized the crowd's enthusiasm while the rest of the board raved about it. That said, last night's crowd was stupendous. Almost everyone stood for almost the entire second half, even when we fell back to a 10 point deficit after getting to within a point. The pace of play and shot making played a big role in it, so I don't want to go overboard, but that was nonetheless the best Gampel crowd I can remember since I started attending games as a non-student in 2018.

Let's give Marquette and Providence a similar welcome!
I thought that Florida game was a really good crowd...especially for a November game. Last night we brought it. I can't say one bad thing about the crowd. I felt like people like myself had to get a few others on board, but once the second half started, no one sat, and no one shut up.

Reaction Score
I thought that Florida game was a really good crowd...especially for a November game. Last night we brought it. I can't say one bad thing about the crowd. I felt like people like myself had to get a few others on board, but once the second half started, no one sat, and no one shut up.
Agreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom