How intimidating can we make Gampel on Wednesday? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How intimidating can we make Gampel on Wednesday?

Reaction Score
If the game is still on with bad weather, I hope they can take the tickets on the market and some how subsidize them for students on campus to entice them to go.
Way way back when I was on campus Pitt came to Gampel during a snow storm. Free tickets for students. I chose that night to come down with mono and sleep for 27 hrs straight. Heard it was awesome. (They can do it, and it's not unprecedented.)

Reaction Score
Can't let a little snow keep you away - can't tellyou how many storms we drive onto watch UConn - 12/7/96 comes to mind - hell of a drive home and no power for 5 days afterwards. Only 1 time I remember not going- was against Pitt at Gampel, not sure of the year - donated our tickets to students
Just commented on this. I was a freshman. Fall semester of 2004 or spring semester 2005, depending on when in the season.

Reaction Score
Just commented on this. I was a freshman. Fall semester of 2004 or spring semester 2005, depending on when in the season.
Figured it out - 1/22/05. Had almost 20" in Tolland where I lived at the time

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Wish they were given more seats to fill around Gampel ala Cameron Fieldhouse (as much as that pains me to say…)
I despise everything Duke but their home court atmosphere makes me green with envy sometimes.

F Duke though…

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Still a ton of tickets left on secondary market, people need to scoop em’ up.

Reaction Score
Here we are again boys and girls. I've used terms like "hostile" and "raucous" before. Now it's INTIMIDATING. My contacts at the XL today told me the crowd was large but church-like. I'm sure most of that had to do with the inferior quality of opponent and the resulting blowout. There is no excuse for Wednesday. My UConn group chat is ready to lose their minds as we seek to avenge loss 1 of the year. The base is coming around again, as are the casuals. Let's show X what a real college crowd looks and sounds like. Gampel. Storrs, CT. 1/25. 6:30 pm. There are no excuses. The dogs need us. Mount up.
Uconn will never have the hostile environment like the other big time programs because Connecticut is full of old uppity stuck up people. Uconn does their students a disservice sitting the behind the baseline out of the view of the tv cameras. What you do see on tv are those old folks I mentioned earlier sitting in the good seats but are too good or too stuck up to stand and cheer. Uconn announces a white out game, they'll give out white t shirts and the old folks wont even put them on. They will rather sit them on their laps and remain quiet. Home games feel like they are being played in a library. Its even worse in the XL Center. I've been saying for years that they need to move the students courtside. This is why we have absolutely no home court advantage for any home games.

Reaction Score
I despise everything Duke but their home court atmosphere makes me green with envy sometimes.

F Duke though…
Its more than just Duke. Turn on any game from a big time program other than UConn and you will see their students sitting in the good seats going crazy. UConn buries their students behind the baseline and who do we see on tv sitting in the good seats? Old senior citizens that won't stand up and cheer. That needs to change.

Reaction Score
"stuck up"? Isn't that what we called kids in high school?

Reaction Score
Its more than just Duke. Turn on any game from a big time program other than UConn and you will see their students sitting in the good seats going crazy. UConn buries their students behind the baseline and who do we see on tv sitting in the good seats? Old senior citizens that won't stand up and cheer. That needs to change.
I agree with this for Gampel, and in theory for Hartford. But in Hartford the students don't even show up. If you allocated all those seats to them, would half of them be empty? They don't even fill the sections that are allocated to them behind the basket. Would they if they were seated courtside, I don't know.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very true. It was more than 30 years ago when I first heard the "in Connecticut there are fans who stay until the end of the game to avoid traffic".
This is funny, but it’s so true. Spending a few minutes talking after the end of the game, listening to the band etc. lets you avoid the traffic. Don’t tell that to the lemmings rushing out with 10 minutes to go, though. They are the reason why I get to drive out without hassle.

Reaction Score
Uconn will never have the hostile environment like the other big time programs because Connecticut is full of old uppity stuck up people. Uconn does their students a disservice sitting the behind the baseline out of the view of the tv cameras. What you do see on tv are those old folks I mentioned earlier sitting in the good seats but are too good or too stuck up to stand and cheer. Uconn announces a white out game, they'll give out white t shirts and the old folks wont even put them on. They will rather sit them on their laps and remain quiet. Home games feel like they are being played in a library. Its even worse in the XL Center. I've been saying for years that they need to move the students courtside. This is why we have absolutely no home court advantage for any home games.
I'm sure an athletic department running a sizable deficit every single year would be able to convince the high rollers to move to the baseline at the same price and donation points so the students can take their seats.

Reaction Score

post/handle, when you donating so we can replace the donators with students?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm sure an athletic department running a sizable deficit every single year would be able to convince the high rollers to move to the baseline at the same price and donation points so the students can take their seats.
get method man GIF

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Love these threads where our fanbase inexplicably turns on itself.
There aren't many in 2023 that are free of some aspect of this, whether it is internal squabbles, disruption from or engagement with trolls, or anything else that hints at greater interest in hanging out with negative energy than pursuing positive energy.

It's like we live in a land of steady habits.

Reaction Score
Can't let a little snow keep you away - can't tellyou how many storms we drive onto watch UConn - 12/7/96 comes to mind - hell of a drive home and no power for 5 days afterwards. Only 1 time I remember not going- was against Pitt at Gampel, not sure of the year - donated our tickets to students
During the Dream Season, we beat Syracuse and Georgetown at the Civic Center in the same week. Serious winter weather on the night of the Georgetown game. Didn't keep many people away. First night of many that year that complete strangers were high fiving each other in the hallways after the game.

What a night. Nadav and Mourning jawing as they were lined up during a free throw.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People are wimpier now.
After the Hartford Civic Center collapse, my dad would drive us up to Springfield to see the Whalers play. I can remember more than a few occasions of him driving back in pretty significant snow storms. He gave no visual indication that it in any way stressed him. It wasn’t until years later driving as an adult in bad weather, that his passive expression and attitude was just “dad game face.”

Reaction Score
During the Dream Season, we beat Syracuse and Georgetown at the Civic Center in the same week. Serious winter weather on the night of the Georgetown game. Didn't keep many people away. First night of many that year that complete strangers were high fiving each other in the hallways after the game.

What a night. Nadav and Mourning jawing as they were lined up during a free throw.
Didn't miss 1 game that year or many games over 38 years - used to arrange my work schedule at the hospital around UConn games.
Still remember Mourning with his finger in Lyman DePriest's ear

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

People are wimpier now.
I remember these games. I was like 8, and I've been hooked ever since. The atmosphere at the XL will never, ever touch what it was then at HCC. Goes for Fairfield and CCSU used to sell out and get loud. It is why I used to prefer games downtown. Even when Gampel opened, the big games in Hartford were always louder and crazier. That has started to change. Outside of Nova last year and maybe the AAC final vs. SMU, the best crowds for the past 5/10 years have been on campus.

Speaking of snow games...anyone remember that game in Hartford vs. Pitt, when they were highly ranked? A huge storm ended like 1-2 hours before the noon tip, and the streets were barely plowed. I think I wore my snowboard boots/outfit to the game. Walked into Coach's before the game like it was a ski lodge. So fun. I think we lost that day though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom