How important are sports to universities? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How important are sports to universities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean regardless of the take/split, its gotta be better to sell 1/2 million of merchandise vs 26k in merchandise. Gotta figure that's just the start for them.

Reaction Score
You're saying that to me?

People have been following the thread... relevant post. I find the dynamics interesting but not everything has to be dissected to the nth degree. :eek:. Got your points along the way.

Reaction Score
I mean regardless of the take/split, its gotta be better to sell 1/2 million of merchandise vs 26k in merchandise. Gotta figure that's just the start for them.

As I said, it's good. I've been saying that from the beginning. I just think it's totally fleeting. I'd put money down that they are never to be heard from again (and by that I mean they don't win another NCAA game for the next 2 decades). -- I'm actually assuming that, say, Brown and Feiler are seniors, but if that team is back again, then you're right, they can continue to do damage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's probably the end.

Reaction Score
I think you underestimate the benefit of getting the local population to become fans. The area was in a mania over FGCU. People want them to succeed and since most of us are transplants, we find it easy to get on board with them versus UF/FSU. They are our team and it is very exciting. I haven't felt that kind of excitement since 1990.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you underestimate the benefit of getting the local population to become fans. The area was in a mania over FGCU. People want them to succeed and since most of us are transplants, we find it easy to get on board with them versus UF/FSU. They are our team and it is very exciting. I haven't felt that kind of excitement since 1990.

And Enfield is already gone. That didn't take long.

Reaction Score
Like I always say: it's better to make longterm assessments after you've been to your second rodeo.

Well, I never really say that but, what the was a Fugcoo anyway? Come on people!!!

Reaction Score
Like I always say: it's better to make longterm assessments after you've been to your second rodeo.

Well, I never really say that but, what the was a Fugcoo anyway? Come on people!!!

Should be easier to find a new coach now after all that positive publicity ;)
(Sorry - Couldn't help myself)

But hey - baseball team is still ranked in top 30!

Reaction Score
His body of work is rather small. He had some great athletes and a great point guard to feed them. The loss of Enfield would be nowhere as large as the loss of pg Brett Comer would be. I'm not sure Enfield has quite yet earned a job like USC. Oh, well.

Reaction Score
His body of work is rather small. He had some great athletes and a great point guard to feed them. The loss of Enfield would be nowhere as large as the loss of pg Brett Comer would be. I'm not sure Enfield has quite yet earned a job like USC. Oh, well.

Are you serious? The loss of the coach isn't as serious as the loss of the PG? Then how do you expect a school to sustain competitiveness in college basketball if success depends on an underrecruited PG who will obviously leave the school soon?

Reaction Score
Are you serious? The loss of the coach isn't as serious as the loss of the PG? Then how do you expect a school to sustain competitiveness in college basketball if success depends on an underrecruited PG who will obviously leave the school soon?

Yes, I'm serious. Having one great player can get you a long way in college basketball. Enfield was there two years and this season was nothing special until the conference tourney. If I were hiring for a big job, I'd consider his resume thin. Nonetheless, the coach has nothing to do with this debate.

Again, the debate we've been dragging out for days in regard to FGCU is whether or not their tourney run was huge for the university. You have now changed that debate to saying the run won't help sustain basketball success. That was never the argument until you arbitrarily switched it yesterday.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm serious. Having one great player can get you a long way in college basketball. Enfield was there two years and this season was nothing special until the conference tourney. If I were hiring for a big job, I'd consider his resume thin. Nonetheless, the coach has nothing to do with this debate.

Again, the debate we've been dragging out for days in regard to FGCU is whether or not their tourney run was huge for the university. You have now changed that debate to saying the run won't help sustain basketball success. That was never the argument until you arbitrarily switched it yesterday.

I never switched anything. Read back. You'll see where I wrote in my very first post on the subject that athletic success will be fleeting and that the university will be forgotten. This is what we are talking about, are we not? The tie between athletics and academics? I compared them to Cleveland State. I think with Enfield's departure that future is practically already here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom