How important are sports to universities? | The Boneyard

How important are sports to universities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tony Barnhart (@MrCFB)
3/24/13, 9:42 PM
This why college presidents care about athletics. FGCU will get media exposure worth millions over the next five days.

Reaction Score
Tony Barnhart (@MrCFB)
3/24/13, 9:42 PM
This why college presidents care about athletics. FGCU will get media exposure worth millions over the next five days.

Where is Cleveland State today?

Reaction Score
You really don't think this is a huge net positive for FCGU?

Not really, no. A positive, yes. Huge? No. Before this week, no one knew who they were. After this week, kids who were interested in applying to USF will now also look at FGCU (G before C, by the way). That's basically it. The net for them is minimal.

If they were to sustain this, I'd be wrong. If it's not sustained, they are Cleveland St.

Reaction Score
I don't know upstater, a hell lot more people know about this school than they did before. I'm sure there is some kid right now in CT, who is an okay (not superb) student who is thinking, "they have a beach on campus? Imagine the chicks". I know would have thought that as an 18 year old. I'm sure they're going to see a spike in applications.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not really, no. A positive, yes. Huge? No. Before this week, no one knew who they were. After this week, kids who were interested in applying to USF will now also look at FGCU (G before C, by the way). That's basically it. The net for them is minimal.

If they were to sustain this, I'd be wrong. If it's not sustained, they are Cleveland St.
So...they get millions of dollars of free publicity, applications and admissions explode and it's net neutral. Got it.

Reaction Score
I don't know upstater, a hell lot more people know about this school than they did before. I'm sure there is some kid right now in CT, who is an okay (not superb) student who is thinking, "they have a beach on campus? Imagine the chicks". I know would have thought that as an 18 year old. I'm sure they're going to see a spike in applications.

Yeah - like my son the high school junior baseball player. (btw - to my surprise, they have a top 30 baseball program). Mom shut that down.

darren rovell (@darrenrovell)
3/24/13, 11:14 PM
Florida Gulf Coast University Google Search Chart

image.jpg

Reaction Score
So...they get millions of dollars of free publicity, applications and admissions explode and it's net neutral. Got it.

Applications exploded?

The free publicity is of limited value. That's what I'm saying. It probably won't improve applications that much, and unless this sort of athletic success is sustained, it will not put the school on the map. But we've been over this before, haven't we. The schools that have been helped by the publicity are few. The FGCUs and Cleveland States are the many. Andrew Zimbalist has actually done a study on this.

Put it this way, I have no doubt that schools ranging in mission from Boston College and Boise St. have been helped a great deal. But FGCU is a long way from Boise St. That being said, basketball is relatively cheap, and if you can make this kind of splash in this sport, it's great. In football, it's really questionable. However you cut it, I don't expect the net impact to be huge. One of the things people have missed about the explosion in applications in recent years is that the same explosion occurred at schools without sports. The common digital app. coupled with increased demographic is largely responsible for that jump. Schools are not increasing their seats.

What difference do you think it's going to make?

Reaction Score

I'd never heard of it either. But let me ask this: why wasn't Huskymedic's son considering USF or Florida St. or FIU and FAU? Schools many have heard of? So, this is a hot school now. In a couple weeks (if they don't advance) that line on the grid is going to drop back to where it used to be.

Have a look at this: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ktli/interactive-chart#.UVBDtejnKRM

KTEL's stock.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd never heard of it either. But let me ask this: why wasn't Huskymedic's son considering USF or Florida St. or FIU and FAU? Schools many have heard of? So, this is a hot school now. In a couple weeks (if they don't advance) that line on the grid is going to drop back to where it used to be.

Have a look at this: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ktli/interactive-chart#.UVBDtejnKRM

KTEL's stock.

I have a friend in Florida who's son started there as a freshman this year. He looked at UCF as well, but didn't have the #s. It's such a young school that this will certainly help them with name regognition.

It can't make them something they are not however. US News has them at #74 among regional schools in the south. Nobody who can get in to Florida, FSU, any SEC or ACC school, would consider this place. A comparitor might be CCSU (more quality regional schools in the north). By way of example, Western Kentucky has had similar NCAA runs I believe. They are the #33 regional school in the south. Are they big time now? SEC inviting the Hilltoppers soon?

UConn was a flagship school to begin with, and yes basketball caused applications to rise, but the biggest impact was on the legislature, which bumped funding dramatically. Nobody in Tallahassee is about to give FGCU a pile of money normally destined for Gainesville...or hell, even what UCF and USF get.

Reaction Score

KTEL's stock.

Wrong. FGCU already has an endowment of $60,000,000. The area is overrun with millionaires that want to support the local U. I have met numerous faculty from schools all over the country that want to spend later years of their career at FGCU and settle in the area. FGCU is the fastest growing school in the state. The scene on campus is very Southern California in atmosphere. The campus is gorgeous and spotless as is the surrounding area. No trash on the side of the road etc. and even the road medians outside campus are landscaped with flower and palm trees and even sprinkler systems. The airport is literally 5 minutes from dorm to terminal.

I know many local kids that choose FGCU over UF and FSU. In fact, I know one girl who chose FGCU over Yale then went on to her masters at Columbia and is finishing up at law school in the DC area (can't remember which top flight school). She likes the area and the campus.

The student body will get stronger and stronger academically and the school will become wealthy very quickly.

Oh, Cleveland State's endowment after all these years? $6,000,000. Again, FGCU $60,000,000 in 12 years. FGCU is going places. (Sorry, I take this personally as I donate and go to basketball games there). I also expect at least one or more of my kids will go there because they all love being on campus for events.

Reaction Score
Wrong. FGCU already has an endowment of $60,000,000. The area is overrun with millionaires that want to support the local U. I have met numerous faculty from schools all over the country that want to spend later years of their career at FGCU and settle in the area. FGCU is the fastest growing school in the state. The scene on campus is very Southern California in atmosphere. The campus is gorgeous and spotless as is the surrounding area. No trash on the side of the road etc. and even the road medians outside campus are landscaped with flower and palm trees and even sprinkler systems. The airport is literally 5 minutes from dorm to terminal.

I know many local kids that choose FGCU over UF and FSU. In fact, I know one girl who chose FGCU over Yale then went on to her masters at Columbia and is finishing up at law school in the DC area (can't remember which top flight school). She likes the area and the campus.

The student body will get stronger and stronger academically and the school will become wealthy very quickly.

Oh, Cleveland State's endowment after all these years? $6,000,000. Again, FGCU $60,000,000 in 12 years. FGCU is going places. (Sorry, I take this personally as I donate and go to basketball games there). I also expect at least one or more of my kids will go there because they all love being on campus for events.

That's all great. Now, what am I wrong about?

Reaction Score
You are so contrarian.

I like to support universities. You think I'm being contrarian simply because I'm not licking the flavor of the week? Come'on!

The basketball team is incredibly easy to root for. In fact, they are my #1 rooting interest. But the idea that this will somehow translate into anything more than a bump in interest for the school is hard to fathom. The only question they are asking down in FLA. is, why can't UCF, FIU, FAU and USF do this in basketball? Those schools aren't quaking when it comes to competition. Meanwhile the bball coaches at those schools are saying, "Hey, I can lose to Lipscomb twice too!"

Let's be realistic here.

Reaction Score
If you and whaler had an argument about gravity, which one of you would claim it doesn't exist?

I like watching FGCU play basketball. Their style is aesthetically pleasing, it actually looks like basketball and not over coached slop.

Also, if FGCU has something to offer, other than athletic dept, then they will capitalize on this.

If they are a high school with ashtrays, then they won't.

I like to support universities. You think I'm being contrarian simply because I'm not licking the flavor of the week? Come'on!

The basketball team is incredibly easy to root for. In fact, they are my #1 rooting interest. But the idea that this will somehow translate into anything more than a bump in interest for the school is hard to fathom. The only question they are asking down in FLA. is, why can't UCF, FIU, FAU and USF do this in basketball? Those schools aren't quaking when it comes to competition. Meanwhile the bball coaches at those schools are saying, "Hey, I can lose to Lipscomb twice too!"

Let's be realistic here.

Reaction Score
If you and whaler had an argument about gravity, which one of you would claim it doesn't exist?

I like watching FGCU play basketball. Their style is aesthetically pleasing, it actually looks like basketball and not over coached slop.

Also, if FGCU has something to offer, other than athletic dept, then they will capitalize on this.

If they are a high school with ashtrays, then they won't.

If it were that easy to build a decent university, UMass would be a world-class institution by now!

Reaction Score
That's all great. Now, what am I wrong about?

You said, "Where did that get Cleveland State?"

Answer: Cleveland State is not FGCU and to imply there are any parallels is wrong and poorly thought out. The endowment alone proves it let alone area demographics, location and university growth.

Reaction Score
If it were that easy to build a decent university, UMass would be a world-class institution by now!

Lol. People in the northeast don't think like people in the south. In Florida they are thinking about growing and improving. At UMass they are thinking about running for cover.

Reaction Score
You said, "Where did that get Cleveland State?"

Answer: Cleveland State is not FGCU and to imply there are any parallels is wrong and poorly thought out. The endowment alone proves it let alone area demographics, location and university growth.

I think you're being wildly overoptimistic here. I mean, the parallels are a school that makes it onto the national map with a NCAA tournament wrong. The chances that FGCU will develop into a good school are extremely long. I'd rather bet on horse races. Especially coming from a state like Florida where you have two factors working against it. One, the state has never funded higher education well. I mean, FSU has been around for eons and won national championships. Second, the state leadership is right now defunding higher education and eliminating programs, the rep of the state schools is falling dramatically. And we're to believe that a basketball tourney run is going to have a huge impact? No, it won't. I know you're close to the school, but step back and be realistic.

Reaction Score
Lol. People in the northeast don't think like people in the south. In Florida they are thinking about growing and improving. At UMass they are thinking about running for cover.

Are you being serious here? Florida is one of the worst states there is in the country when it comes to this sort of thing. It has a very bad reputation, especially with Rick Scott. I was just joking about UMass--just taking a shot about them. But in comparison between Florida and Mass., I take Mass. every time when it comes to the long-term future of its schools. No comparison really.

Just look at the costs per student. Like night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom