How good can we be? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How good can we be?

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
I personally think we can definitely at least make the NCAA's with better coaching and an offensive scheme that makes sense...the cupboard is not bare on talent, these kids just need the direction coach Hurley was hired to give them...sky is the limit

Bleed Blue

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Here is what I believe will be improved...

1) Offensive cohesion/efficiency --> While Hurley's teams are not known as offensive juggernauts, it seems that he understands spacing, matchups, and having players be triple threats. The spacing on KOs teams has been abhorrent the last few years.
2) Defensive intensity --> There's a lot of JC/Bob Sr. in Dan Hurley in that you will play D or you won't play.
3) Coaching consistency --> I think the players will finally know what to expect. KO seemed to be one type of guy on the trail, another during W's, and something very, very different during trying times. From the player's quotes, and of course grain of fluid salt bla bla bla, it seems like they already respect Hurley on a different level.
4) Toughness --> This may take a bit longer, but it spoke worlds to me that Dan Hurley basically called out our returnees at his freakin' intro press conference to get tougher. We have been pretty damn soft the last 4-5 years in that the majority of our toughness came from sub 6-2 players.

All that being said, I anticipate 17-20 wins this year even with "the worst roster" we have had in years. Coaching, chemistry, and cohesion can make a world of difference.
Having met him and spoken briefly I think he would put number 4 first.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to keep my expectations down. We'd have to catch lightening in bottle to have a "good" season by UConn standards. I've said this before but what I'm hoping for is:

1) Competent offense that moves the ball with purpose to get open looks.
2) Three point defense, please god, let us have decent 3 point defense.
3) Beat mid-majors comfortably.
4) No 20 point + beat downs by opponents.
5) No quitting, especially on defense.
6) Chemistry, no negative body language, important for building the team back up.

If we get that we will have a shot at the NCAAs. I think that is a reasonable expectation.

I expect to see some actual coaching regarding #4-6.

KO never punished guys for giving bad effort, coasting through games, taking plays off, and generally failing to play with pride.

Should be night and day with Hurley.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on the talent level of this team outside of Adams and Gilbert. I think anywhere between 0-5 games above .500 is probably realistic.

Reaction Score
A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. We play a much easier schedule than last year. Especially in the non-conference.
2. The conference as a whole is down this year.
3. For everyone saying we basically have the same team. Gilbert being back would be MASSIVE. We were 4-0 with him last year, and down only 1 at halftime to a Top 5 team. He immediately would make a huge difference.
4. We add Sid Wilson, who I think will be a better overall player than Larrier was last year. Maybe not offensively, but with rebounding and defense yes.

C

Chief00

How good will we be next season? For now the question is how much fun will we have on June 23rd in Baltimore. Next season will come soon enough.

Reaction Score
I'm all for the Chief caricature but when you're trying to live up to your rep in a thread that has zero connection to what you just posted and had actually generated on-topic discussion to this point, maybe it's time to walk it back a little bit.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Remember, chief is at least over 50; if he was playing pickup games on campus when I was there. Failure to launch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. We play a much easier schedule than last year. Especially in the non-conference.
2. The conference as a whole is down this year.
3. For everyone saying we basically have the same team. Gilbert being back would be MASSIVE. We were 4-0 with him last year, and down only 1 at halftime to a Top 5 team. He immediately would make a huge difference.
4. We add Sid Wilson, who I think will be a better overall player than Larrier was last year. Maybe not offensively, but with rebounding and defense yes.
All this plus Hurley plus a more excited fan base excluding apologistas and I stick to my 24 - 29 wins this season.

Reaction Score
I have no clue how good we will be next year.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I don't think there will be too much pressure on Hurley in his first season.

Sid and the transfers will help. I don't think we addressed our center position. We have a lot of redundant
6-8 guys. I know our guard play should be solid to dare I say great with the return of both Adams and Vitale and AG.

I think Coach Hurley will get the kids to buy into his system. I'm just curious if they can put it all together this year.

It will be interesting to see. I want to keep my expectations in check, but I think good guard play can overcome weaknesses.

I think an NCAA trip is a possibility.

I agree with this list. Baby steps. Poor perimeter defense cost us three games, at minimum, this past season. As for the beatdowns, the days of being blown out of games at the half need to end.

If I get a full season of constant effort on defense, a healthy back court, and a recognizable offensive system, I will.be thrilled. 20 wins are a fair goal to shoot for.

Reaction Score
We assume the coaching is better, but does the coach make shots? How is our outside shooting which BTW was with the dregs of the nation any better this year?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
All this plus Hurley plus a more excited fan base excluding apologistas and I stick to my 24 - 29 wins this season.
I don't care one bit if you're wrong, I like the feeling I get when you write like this. Besides, the question was, "How good can we be?"

Reaction Score
I have no clue how good we will be next year.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I don't think there will be too much pressure on Hurley in his first season.

Sid and the transfers will help. I don't think we addressed our center position. We have a lot of redundant
6-8 guys. I know our guard play should be solid to dare I say great with the return of both Adams and Vitale and AG.

I think Coach Hurley will get the kids to buy into his system. I'm just curious if they can put it all together this year.

It will be interesting to see. I want to keep my expectations in check, but I think good guard play can overcome weaknesses.

I think an NCAA trip is a possibility.

I say over 14 wins but under 20.

Reaction Score
If Alterique is healthy and able to knock off the rust (big "IF") then we can definitely make the NCAAs. Him and Jalen could be a lethal 1-2 punch.
I don't think the "rust" will be an issue. I think you all have unrealistic expectations for this guy. I am hoping that he can actually play a few games and not get hurt again. Him and Jalen? How about He and Jalen?

Reaction Score
If they buy in and play for each other with love and heart and love in their hearts as a family and a unit with resolve and desire knowing that only they can believe in each other and that believing in each other is the belief that will drive them to success on the court and in life then they can come together and push one another to great and amazing things.

So, like, hopefully 20+ wins.

C

Chief00

I love the idea of Chief driving down to Baltimore to hang out at a day party with a bunch of people he doesn't know.

Chief has always been inclusive - makes friends fast - and already knows a core
DMV crew.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Remember, chief is at least over 50; if he was playing pickup games on campus when I was there. Failure to launch.
Chief launch past your sorry butt and never looked back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom