How good can we be? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How good can we be?

Reaction Score
If they buy in and play for each other with love and heart and love in their hearts as a family and a unit with resolve and desire knowing that only they can believe in each other and that believing in each other is the belief that will drive them to success on the court and in life then they can come together and push one another to great and amazing things.

So, like, hopefully 20+ wins.
Do they hold hands and sing koomba ya before every game too?

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I expect the first third of the season to be rough, throwing some posters here in total panic.

The second third of the season I expect the team to start showing some improvement, giving hope to the more observant members of the boneyard.

The last third of the season I expect the team to look good, to win more games than they lose, and show up well in the AAC tournament, giving almost boneyard members great expectations for the following year.

Reaction Score
I do believe that we will be a fairly good team. If we can get some rebounds and interior scoring, we'll get back to 20 wins. We should finish in top 3 of AAC.

Reaction Score
Who are the very good 3 point shooters on our team? Not the wishing and hoping ones please.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
No reason to think anything short of an NCAA Tournament birth. We have plenty of talent, and speed and size and athleticism and quality guards.

The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. I think Hurley is going to put the kids in a better position to play well, I think his game planning will be better, I think his offensive schemes will be more flexible (talent helps), I think Hurley will get us a few easy baskets after a timeout and that will be huge in close games

The team may start slowly, but I trust they'll be pretty good come February. They'll make the dance, and the second weekend is a realistic expectation (unless they're a dreaded 8/9 seed)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I've severely overestimated our team two years in a row.

I'm done with the prediction business.

Nobody expected the devastating injuries which didn't help. I'm sure your expectations, and mine, would be a lot lower if we knew we wouldn't have Gilbert or Larrier for either year.

PS: and no, we never had a healthy Larrier either, so don't anyone go Boneyard on me, it's the truth

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Who are the very good 3 point shooters on our team? Not the wishing and hoping ones please.

When Christian Vital is using good shot selection, he's a good shooter. Shot 37% as a freshman, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he shot around 40% this upcoming season, assuming the offense looks better than it did last year (it almost has to, right?).

Reaction Score
Yes, there are lots of question marks on offense, but the great unknowable is how totally this team will commit to defense. They have the size and quickness at guard and on the wings to cause a lot of full-court disruption. And they have the bodies to sustain it for forty minutes. They must do this to avoid the mismatches underneath that will show up in a half-court defense. The problem with trying to predict wins is that so much depends on what happens at the opponent's end of the court. Who, for example, can estimate the wins that might come from an aggressive, in-your-face three-point defense?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless they improve their perimeter D and drastically improve 3 point shooting, the team will only probably be 4-5 wins better than last year.

Reaction Score

Adams and CV shot 32% from 3 last year. Prior year Adams shot 35% and CV 37%. Dip last year to 32% maybe as much shot selection/tiredness as lack of ability. Not so much of a stretch to see potential of 40% in either/both as both are solid foul shooters. Team shot 32.6% overall from 3's last year.

Kemba 2011 team shot 32.9% from 3's; both Kemba and Bazz shot 33% that year (as did Giffey) (Bazz and Giffey shot 41% and 48% respectively in 2014). 2011 turned out pretty good.

Polley was 42% from 3's last year.

For all the talk about poor offensive sets (and much warranted) here are last year vs. 2014 and 2011 overall scoring and defense stats:

Uconn Pts Per Game Opponent Pts Per Game

2017 68.2 73.1
2014 70.6 63.4
2011 72.4 64.9

One 3 pointer per game gets 2017 team scoring to 2014 level, lot of stops needed to get to those years defensive stats. Play tough and with some Kemba/Lamb/Bazz/Giffey/Boat type aggressiveness/smarts on offense and defense and a lot of things get better (or end up good enough like the 2011 team's 3 point shooting % at 32.9%).

Reaction Score
"You do not know what pain is yet, but you will learn"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There were times last year when I thought, of only we had Dom Perno as coach, that would be good for a few wins. We were the worst coached team in D1 basketball, and maybe of any time in recent memory. It’s hard to estimate just what that means.

I’m optimistic that it means that our players are a little better than they’be looked so far. I think guys like Diarra can be quality players. Carlton looked very good at times. Adams is Adams. Gilbert is a McD AA PG who is finally healthy. Transfers look like solid players.

It gives me hope.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Gentlemen and Ladies; the answer comes down to three things; defense, defense, defense. we will be as good as our defense lets us be.

Reaction Score
20 wins. But may not be enough to make the tourney. More important is how we play. I don't expect the offense to be significantly better, just marginally. I expect improved defense, and that should be enough to make this team compete for post-season play.

Reaction Score
I expected more last year. I really think there was more talent than the record indicates. So if the team over achieves I see a tourney bid, otherwise NIT.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom