How does the nightmare end? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How does the nightmare end?

How does the Ollie error end?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is not a bad coach is the point of my whole argument. He does not have the roster he needs to run his system, I am saying allow him to put that roster in place. He has shown he has what it takes to win a national title and don’t give me the whole “not his team argument”, because it is incredibly difficult to win a chip and to discredit that with a silly argument is foolish and short-sighted.

Reaction Score
When the rapture comes, Jesus is only taking the 1:2 and above people.

The rest of you will go to hell where you will spend eternity desperately posting cute kitten pictures in a futile attempt to make amends.
I envision hell as spending eternity trying to read the conference realignment tea leaves.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is not a bad coach is the point of my whole argument. He does not have the roster he needs to run his system, I am saying allow him to put that roster in place. He has shown he has what it takes to win a national title and don’t give me the whole “not his team argument”, because it is incredibly difficult to win a chip and to discredit that with a silly argument is foolish and short-sighted.
He’s been given that chance and then some.

The guy is getting paid as if he were the coach of one of the 10 best programs in the country. They’ve barely been one of the 10 best programs in the AAC.

Reaction Score
It takes 2 full seasons to rebuild usually in CBB, but why fire a coach and rebuild again when you’re already in year 2 of a rebuild. Firing Ollie this year makes 0 logistical sense, if we struggle next year I’ll be the first to call for Ollie to be gone. But dysfunctional programs and pro teams make the mistake of firing coaches too soon and being stuck in the eternal rebuild. Heck even the Browns are giving Hue Jackson one more year. Turnover at the coaching level is the number one thing that keeps programs irrelevant, we have to at least give KO the 2 years needed to rebuild.
Ohio State says hi.

Reaction Score
So basically you’re saying they should fire the GM that left him this roster? Wait a minute...

Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point. KO might be a marginally good coach which I'm not seeing any signs of it since 2014 when he had great assistant coaches around. Being a college coach is more than be a good X and O man which I believe Ollie is marginally at best. It also means he knows how to build a program and sustain it. KO has failed miserably at this and there is nothing on the horizon that will change that. KO might bleed blue and white but it is time he understands it is better to accept a buyout and have a potential program builder take his place. I mean one top 3 finish in 5 years in the AAC is totally unacceptable and only the most die hard KO fans are still behind him at this point.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ohio State says hi.

I can't for the life of me imagine why an Ohio State team centered around three 4-star recruits turned upperclassmen with proven track records of playing at a high level in the B1G might be easier to turn around than the current mess in Storrs.

You might also consider that schools like Ohio State with ADs rolling in cash, major conference memberships, and vastly more fan support have a far higher chance of hiring Chris Holtmanns than UConn.

Reaction Score
I can't for the life of me imagine why an Ohio State team centered around three 4-star recruits turned upperclassmen with proven track records of playing at a high level in the B1G might be easier to turn around than the current mess in Storrs.

You might also consider that schools like Ohio State with ADs rolling in cash, major conference memberships, and vastly more fan support have a far higher chance of hiring Chris Holtmanns than UConn.
It doesn't mean we can't find a good coach that can get us to the top of the AAC in few years. Nobody is thinking, I hope not, that we will ever get back to the consistent level of winning and competing for national championships. We just want to be able to compete in the AAC and have a chance to make the tourney every year even if we don't get past the second weekend that often. I think we can find a coach that could do that. KO surely isn't the right guy to lead us there.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Nobody is thinking, I hope not, that we will ever get back to the consistent level of winning and competing for national championships.

LOL. You are mistaken there.

Reaction Score
LOL. You are mistaken there.
Well then that is sad considering our current predicament in the college landscape. I'm definitely not one of them. I do believe we can find a better coach than KO though that can sustain us at the top of the AAC with a chance to go to the Tourney every year. I do believe the best we can hope for is being an Gonzaga type of team. Good chance to make the tourney and do some damage but a very long odds to win it all. I will take that.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well then that is sad. I definitely not one of them. I do believe we can find a better coach than KO though that can sustain us at the top of the AAC with a chance to go to the Tourney every year.

I would personally be content with the "Cincy/Wichita/SMU" tier of looking like a competent program, consistent player development, and finishing at the top of the conference.

The problem is, tourney performance and alumni success are still big deals for many fans. Here are some stats concerning those three programs the past 5 years:

Trips past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament: Cincy 0, Wichita 2 (FF 2013, S16 2015), SMU 0.
NBA Lottery Picks or 1st Rounders: 0 for all 3
NBA Draft Picks: Cincy 0, Wichita 1 (Cleanthony Early in 2014), SMU 2 (Semi Ojeleye and Sterling Brown, 2017)
Current NBA alumni: Cincy 2 (Lance Stephenson, Sean Kilpatrick), Wichita 2 (Ron Baker, Fred Van Vleet), SMU 3 (Ojeleye, Brown, Ben Moore)

On those counts, there's very little daylight between UConn and those programs. The huge difference lies in the ability to win games during the regular season. Even if that is fixed, that still leaves so much to be desired in the above areas. I would wager that even if we finished top three in the conference, stopped getting blown out in the OOC, and started putting away cupcakes the right way again, people would still be upset about the lack of tourney success/Huskies getting drafted or entering the league.

Bottom line, those 3 programs are still nowhere near glory days UConn, and the latter is what most will be satisfied with.

Reaction Score
I would personally be content with the "Cincy/Wichita/SMU" tier of looking like a competent program, consistent player development, and finishing at the top of the conference.

The problem is, tourney performance and alumni success are still big deals for many fans. Here are some stats concerning those three programs the past 5 years:

Trips past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament: Cincy 0, Wichita 2 (FF 2013, S16 2015), SMU 0.
NBA Lottery Picks or 1st Rounders: 0 for all 3
NBA Draft Picks: Cincy 0, Wichita 1 (Cleanthony Early in 2014), SMU 2 (Semi Ojeleye and Sterling Brown, 2017)
Current NBA alumni: Cincy 2 (Lance Stephenson, Sean Kilpatrick), Wichita 2 (Ron Baker, Fred Van Vleet), SMU 3 (Ojeleye, Brown, Ben Moore)

On those counts, there's very little daylight between UConn and those programs. The huge difference lies in the ability to win games during the regular season. Even if that is fixed, that still leaves so much to be desired in the above areas. I would wager that even if we finished top three in the conference, stopped getting blown out in the OOC, and started putting away cupcakes the right way again, people would still be upset about the lack of tourney success/Huskies getting drafted or entering the league.

Bottom line, those 3 programs are still nowhere near glory days UConn, and the latter is what most will be satisfied with.
I still think we could have better upside with our tradition and fanbase but it would take the right hire. I think we could be level above them but even if we are playing at their level is is still better than were we have been the last 3 plus seasons. Our trajectory is looking at the bottom of the conference with KO at the helm.

Reaction Score
Stop being dramatic this team is bad, but you know what would be worse is if we fired KO and lost half the roster to transfers. The new coach won’t be able to salvage a decent team recruiting in the 2018 class, because by that point most impact kids would be signed. If that happens count the 2019 season over before it starts, also the new coach would be behind on the 2019 recruiting front. Count out essentially every kid we’re in on we would have to start over with the whole class. Best case scenario if the coach can recruit we would have a team full of freshman and transfers for the 2020, just like this year. So the fire KO crowd is looking at the 2021 season before we have a team that can compete again. Does this sound like a better or worse scenario than we are currently in with KO if we allow him to try and turn it around next year with a team that has sophomores Carlton, Polley, and Whaley with shooters coming in Akinjo and Williams.
Na- don't think so.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I still think we could have better upside with our tradition and fanbase but it would take the right hire. I think we could be level above them but even if we are playing at their level is is still better than were we have been the last 3 plus seasons. Our trajectory is looking at the bottom of the conference with KO at the helm.

What fanbase? Sure the minority of diehards will come back with a new coach, but the casual fans were only on the bandwagon because UConn was a blue blood winning championships and sending players to the lottery. That's what made being a UConn fan appealing to them, and they're pretty much lost for good.

I agree that playing at their level is a huge improvement, but that's only part of the picture in terms of regenerating support for the team.

Reaction Score
What fanbase? Sure the minority of diehards will come back with a new coach, but the casual fans were only on the bandwagon because UConn was a blue blood winning championships and sending players to the lottery. That's what made being a UConn fan appealing to them, and they're pretty much lost for good.

I agree that playing at their level is a huge improvement, but that's only part of the picture in terms of regenerating support for the team.
Well let's just agree that the current level of basketball and the trajectory we are headed is totally unacceptable. We need to change this and the only way I can see that happening is a new hire. There is no sure thing with any new hire but we definitely can see where the the program is heading under the current helm which is to the abyss. We have to make the necessary actions to change this.

Reaction Score
When the rapture comes, Jesus is only taking the 1:2 and above people.

The rest of you will go to hell where you will spend eternity desperately posting cute kitten pictures in a futile attempt to make amends.
Might as well get a head start.
tin_foil_cat.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom