How does Paige compare to Diana, Maya, and Breanna? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How does Paige compare to Diana, Maya, and Breanna?

Reaction Score
Many of us know that Paige is a phenomenal basketball player, and we are hoping that she has a complete recovery from her surgery to repair her torn ACL.

How great a player is she?

The charts below show how Paige compares to arguably the three greatest players in UCONN women’s basketball history: in chronological order, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart. I used data from Paige’s first two seasons at UCONN, and data from the four-year UCONN careers of Diana, Maya, and Breanna.

Paige averages more assists per game than Diana, Maya, or Breanna averaged. Paige also has a better A/TO ratio, and she has the highest effective field goal percentage of the four players. Her true shooting percentage is identical to Maya Moore’s. Paige also averages almost 2 steals per game, very close to Maya’s UCONN career average.

Paige has better offensive and defensive ratings than Diana Taurasi had during her UCONN career.

Paige’s numbers would be even more impressive if she had not been hampered by injuries. During her freshman season, she had an ankle injury that required surgery during the offseason. In her sophomore season, she suffered a tibial plateau fracture and a lateral meniscus tear, which caused her to miss 19 games. Her scoring averages dropped from 20 points per game during her freshman year to 14.6 points per game during her sophomore year. Her 3-point shooting percentage also dropped significantly, from 46.4% to 35.3%. In contrast, Paige’s field goal percentage rose in her sophomore season, to 54.4%, from 52.4% in her freshman season.

It will be interesting to see how effective Paige is at scoring when she returns to play for the Huskies next season.

Paige can cement her UCONN legacy by leading the Huskies to a national championship, and many of us are hoping she can achieve this goal. But even if she doesn’t, Paige has already established herself as one of the greatest players in the history of UCONN women’s basketball.

View attachment 80191
For my money, Paige is the best player I’ve ever seen! Sure, the jury is still out as to her National Title aspirations (I know that means everything to some people) but as far as just skill, will, & clutch on the court, she’s the bee’s knees as far as I’m concerned.
That in no way diminishes those other three, who are all truly great players and who will always be mentioned when the subject of the greatest players of all time gets brought up!
One of the many impressive things about Paige is, that (not that I’m any kind of authority) my assessment of her greatness is based largely on her freshman year! I do pray that she can make a full recovery and spend her remaining years fully healthy!

Reaction Score
Maya, Diana, and Stewie's teams won multiple NCAA championships. They were durable. Paige is not. Paige is promise and potential. They were actualization.
And the only way she can change that is to use all of her available years Covid and redshirt to stay and compete which I think would mean she'll be here a year after Azzi graduates if she did that which I don't think she'll do at best she'll play next year and move on or maybe stay an extra year and graduate with Azzi but I don't think she wants to compete with her friend for being the number 1 WNBA pick my dream is she stays and win 3 in a row and graduates with Ice and Ayanna...please don't crush my dream...lol

Reaction Score
I love Paige. Love her. Her game awesome. But a top characteristic to think about regarding player ability is player availability.

It hurts to say this because I love her game so much.

She's coming back stronger than ever ..wait for it .

Reaction Score
Paige could have been blessed with a team that has more talent, and she could avoided injury in another Universe. What she has done is impressive by anyones standards and I hope she returns healthy enough to deliver what she has left in the tank. Winning a National Championship would be a tremendous achievement.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
For my money, Paige is the best player I’ve ever seen! Sure, the jury is still out as to her National Title aspirations (I know that means everything to some people) but as far as just skill, will, & clutch on the court, she’s the bee’s knees as far as I’m concerned.
That in no way diminishes those other three, who are all truly great players and who will always be mentioned when the subject of the greatest players of all time gets brought up!
One of the many impressive things about Paige is, that (not that I’m any kind of authority) my assessment of her greatness is based largely on her freshman year! I do pray that she can make a full recovery and spend her remaining years fully healthy!
You need to watch this video

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct when you say national titles means everything to some people. I believe you could count Paige as one of those “some people”. For my money Maya is better than Paige.

Reaction Score
Paige will be a destroyer in the WNBA. With the open floor and with her speed she will be a killer. She will own the W. Unleashed, I wouldn't want to have to defend Bueckers.

Reaction Score
It's been rumored that Ashlynn Shade is the reincarnation of Jackie Stiles. Time will tell!

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct when you say national titles means everything to some people. I believe you could count Paige as one of those “some people”. For my money Maya is better than Paige.
Sure to some people they do. But not to Paige.

Iif one were to take the context of what she has previously said. The win-or-bust comments are cherry-picked comments some posters use while ignoring other things she has said such as how she says how proud she is of her team even if they didn't win it all.

And a further point, we'll see how long she stays at UCONN vs the WNBA if she doesn't win next year.

Reaction Score
Sure to some people they do. But not to Paige.

Iif one were to take the context of what she has previously said. The win-or-bust comments are cherry-picked comments some posters use while ignoring other things she has said such as how she says how proud she is of her team even if they didn't win it all.

And a further point, we'll see how long she stays at UCONN vs the WNBA if she doesn't win next year.
Ridiculous! Paige is a killer! Along the line of Kobe, Jordan, Iverson. ALL killers in Athletics want the Championship above every and anything. FACTS. It’s in their DNA! Why some don’t get that is beyond me. Next time you talk to a high level killer/athlete just ask them away from the cameras. It’s not cherry picking! Good grief. The cotton candy, puppies and rainbows are a little much. She can be proud of the team and at the same time know it’s championship or nothing at UConn.

Reaction Score
I completely understand the “National Titles” argument and I realize that it is (for most people) the deciding factor when discussing the question of who is the greatest player. However, that is not always the case as Bill Russell had 11 to Jordan’s six. Moriah has 4 just like Stewie but is not in the conversation for the greatest player.
Of course, Paige (at present has none) so I realize l’ve lost my argument before it even starts. I still believe though, speaking strictly about her play on the court, Paige is the best I’ve seen! The player I would put next to her, would be Maya, who was also a truly gifted player with similar “big moment” abilities to Paige and who (like Paige) I would rather watch play than any other player.
Certainly in terms of championships, Paige will never match up to Stewie, or Dee and will have to be very fortunate to tie Maya. Nevertheless, I will still choose Paige as the best “player” I’ve seen.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
True, but she had a much better team around her than Paige did!
The team around Stewie failed to win a national championship without Stewie.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Paige will be a destroyer in the WNBA. With the open floor and with her speed she will be a killer. She will own the W. Unleashed, I wouldn't want to have to defend Bueckers.
The WNBA players will batter Paige's thin body.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The posters here throwing shade at Paige are off-base. She was put in a unique position of coming in and having to lead the team. And led them to two FF's. The others were welcomed by All-Americans. Taurasi didn't have to worry about leading until she was a junior and as a freshman she blew the Final Four. Paige has been great, even when compared with the other greats.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous! Paige is a killer! Along the line of Kobe, Jordan, Iverson. ALL killers in Athletics want the Championship above every and anything. FACTS. It’s in their DNA! Why some don’t get that is beyond me. Next time you talk to a high level killer/athlete just ask them away from the cameras. It’s not cherry picking! Good grief. The cotton candy, puppies and rainbows are a little much. She can be proud of the team and at the same time know it’s championship or nothing at UConn.
What you are saying now is different than what you said before. She wants to win a championship yes. But you think that is the only reason why she cmae ot UCONN? SHe even said when she came to UCONN was to also expand her game. Players like Paige are a killer yes. You seriously don't think she came ot UCONN with also expectations of becoming All_Amercian etc too? That would be ridiculous. Part of being a killer is also wanting to be individually great (ie no one can stop me).

Reaction Score
Many of us know that Paige is a phenomenal basketball player, and we are hoping that she has a complete recovery from her surgery to repair her torn ACL.

The charts below show how Paige compares to arguably the three greatest players in UCONN women’s basketball history: in chronological order, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart. I used data from Paige’s first two seasons at UCONN, and data from the four-year UCONN careers of Diana, Maya, and Breanna.

Paige averages more assists per game than Diana, Maya, or Breanna averaged. Paige also has a better A/TO ratio, and she has the highest effective field goal percentage of the four players. Her true shooting percentage is identical to Maya Moore’s. Paige also averages almost 2 steals per game, very close to Maya’s UCONN career average.

Paige has better offensive and defensive ratings than Diana Taurasi had during her UCONN career.

Paige’s numbers would be even more impressive if she had not been hampered by injuries. During her freshman season, she had an ankle injury that required surgery during the offseason. In her sophomore season, she suffered a tibial plateau fracture and a lateral meniscus tear, which caused her to miss 19 games. Her scoring averages dropped from 20 points per game during her freshman year to 14.6 points per game during her sophomore year. Her 3-point shooting percentage also dropped significantly, from 46.4% to 35.3%. In contrast, Paige’s field goal percentage rose in her sophomore season, to 54.4%, from 52.4% in her freshman season.

It will be interesting to see how effective Paige is at scoring when she returns to play for the Huskies next season.

Paige can cement her UCONN legacy by leading the Huskies to a national championship, and many of us are hoping she can achieve this goal. But even if she doesn’t, Paige has already established herself as one of the greatest players in the history of UCONN women’s basketball.

View attachment 80191
@Cedar, thank you for taking the time to share this with us. It’s very much appreciated.
Although Paige hasn’t won a championship yet, she did outperform the others as a freshman, in winning all the accolades. Her goal is to win (at least) one ‘Chip, and when she does, she’ll be ecstatic, we the BYers will be euphoric. Again!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The WNBA players will batter Paige's thin body.
Paige continues to get stronger and well developed and this will continue over the next 2 years . There are plenty of players with less upper body mass very successful in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
For a variety of reasons including injury, I think she should qualify with just one title.

She led last year’s team to the championship game and her play was fabulous in that game. She was basically playing against two or more defenders all night - and very good defenders at that. She could not have done more to carry her team one championship and one runner up should do it.,

I realize y’all aren’t accustomed to runner/up but it’s great by everybody else.
@visitingcock, the standards set at UCONN — where a Nat’l Championship is the team’s goal. Always, every year, no matter what. So although Runnerup isn’t bad (it’s actually a great accomplishment, especially after several injuries), UCONN and its fans aren’t satisfied.

PS: SCar fans know how losing in the NCAAs feels. But that pain is erased, and almost forgotten once the Championship is won, and the trophy is held high by the jubilant student athletes.

Reaction Score
What you are saying now is different than what you said before. She wants to win a championship yes. But you think that is the only reason why she cmae ot UCONN? SHe even said when she came to UCONN was to also expand her game. Players like Paige are a killer yes. You seriously don't think she came ot UCONN with also expectations of becoming All_Amercian etc too? That would be ridiculous. Part of being a killer is also wanting to be individually great (ie no one can stop me).
My stance has always been the same. Championships are all that matter to killers. The rest is just gravy, it’s good put not filling.

Reaction Score
The posters here throwing shade at Paige are off-base. She was put in a unique position of coming in and having to lead the team. And led them to two FF's. The others were welcomed by All-Americans. Taurasi didn't have to worry about leading until she was a junior and as a freshman she blew the Final Four. Paige has been great, even when compared with the other greats.
I don’t believe anyone is “throwing shade“ at Bueckers in the least by not accepting at face value opinions that rank her with the best of the best. I have been involved in basketball at all levels, player, coach, scout, fan, etc. for 6 decades, which doesn’t make my opinion “right” by any stretch of the imagination but it does give me a lot of experience and history upon which to base my opinion.
I have said on many occasions Bueckers is a terrific player, a legit AA, but an all time great, not even close to being in the argument yet, IMO. If that is ‘throwing shade” so be it, we just disagree.

Reaction Score

View attachment 80191
All I can say is that the chart seems to eliminate any dispute as to who was the greatest Huskie ever and that's MAYA MOORE .... she is at the top or near the top of every one of the categories mentioned .... insofar as national championships, it has a lot more to do with the supporting cast that anyone of these great UConn players has had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom