How does Paige compare to Diana, Maya, and Breanna? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How does Paige compare to Diana, Maya, and Breanna?

Reaction Score
Stewart wasn't named an All-American in 2012 - 2013.
Her freshman regular season performance wasn't worthy enough because she struggled to score points, as "her scoring average dropped below ten points for her last eighteen regular season games." - Wikipedia
Stewie had a Phenomenal first 8 Freshman games, then had a basketball mental break until late March -April and the NC's There she was unstoppable. Maya is my favorite of the 3 because she was the nicest lady A close second is Morgan Valley just a plain nice person. DT was super great, Stewie as a ball player was the best at Uconn

Reaction Score
Yeah but she was money when it counted most. Remember that game against ND in the tourney? I don't think winning a player of the year award automatically puts you in the same class as Stewie/Maya/Diana or even in the conversation, and to be honest assuming she comes back for her senior year, there's nothing she can do next year that would put her in that group. She's just lost too much time to injury and it's not fair to compare players that played 4 years with one that will play a max of 2.5.
Hmmm, are you sure it's a max of 2.5? I don't think it's completely out of the question that Paige plays for 3.5. I guess hoping for 4.5 is a bridge too far...

Reaction Score
Very few players at a level of Paige or Azzi have left without a championship. Their legacies as individual players, part of a team, and as a backcourt combo are still achievable, but you only get so many opportunities, and some of those are gone. At least that provides the maximum motivation, I'm sure if they don't meet the loftiest goals, it won't be because of a lack of effort.
Well said except for one point, Oldhuskie. With due respect, I think we need to see Azzi achieve something on the court before we bring her into the conversation or assume she's at Paige's level. Even without a national championship, Paige has achieved a lot and has created tons of memories of her greatness. Azzi certainly has that bewitching quality called potential, but so far her Huskies career is a tale of foot injury, untimely flu bug and amazing potential. I'm with everyone here hoping she actualizes that potential very soon!

Reaction Score
For Paige it isn't over until it's over. Let us wait until graduation day and re-examine this subject. Until then let us bask in the knowledge Uconn has Paige and THEY don't.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, are you sure it's a max of 2.5? I don't think it's completely out of the question that Paige plays for 3.5. I guess hoping for 4.5 is a bridge too far...
I don't think she can play 4.5 if you only have 5 years to use up your eligibility. For all we know she could decide to turn pro in the spring; you just never know nowadays.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that promise and potential are meaningless without actually playing and demonstrating greatness on a regular and consistent basis.
I see a different meaning---however with a person's ability Promise and Potential are essentially the same: Expectations. You may never live up to the Potential but it was there, and for Paige it is there. So, I suggest it isn't meaningless. If Consistency is required, Stewie and one could argue (taking in her freshman NCAA NC game) DT didn't have Potential. Stewie blew most freshman potential as did DT---that takes away the "on a regular basis" I guess when we start speaking in terms of Greatness--great humans aren't always great, except in our memories.

Reaction Score
Love Paige. She seems to be an amazing person and we know she's a great player, but she's not even in the conversation.

DT, Maya, and Stewie are ALL-TIME greats. Any school, any era.

Paige got needs some rings to even enter the chat.

Reaction Score
Was Diana a guard or forward. Paige is right up there with the group. How does she compare statistically with Sue Bird or MoJeff? All she needs is a NC to cement her place on the Uconn Mt. Rushmore. Stylistically she is different from Breanna or Maya, and even Diana. Probably Uconn's greatest guard, by a little because Sue Bird and MoJeff, differently, were magnificent. But Paige is a Beast, like Diana.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Was Diana a guard or forward. Paige is right up there with the group. How does she compare statistically with Sue Bird or MoJeff? All she needs is a NC to cement her place on the Uconn Mt. Rushmore. Stylistically she is different from Breanna or Maya, and even Diana. Probably Uconn's greatest guard, by a little because Sue Bird and MoJeff, differently, were magnificent. But Paige is a Beast, like Diana.
Diana was a point forward.

Geno said Maya would have had more points if she had the ball in her hands as much as Diana.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't think she can play 4.5 if you only have 5 years to use up your eligibility. For all we know she could decide to turn pro in the spring; you just never know nowadays.
Let's see. Paige gets one year due to the lost Covid year, plus a red shirt this year. I would think the five year rule is waived due to the free Covid year. It's an interesting question, but I doubt Paige wants to stay in college that long.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting question, but I doubt Paige wants to stay in college that long.
I wonder about this too. Does she want to be another Aly Patberg? There’s lots of pleasures to be had staying in college a little longer. And I wonder how attractive the W seems to her. She makes better money now, and her career in the W may not be all that long if she remains injury prone. Could she be happier going into coaching?

Reaction Score
Let's see. Paige gets one year due to the lost Covid year, plus a red shirt this year. I would think the five year rule is waived due to the free Covid year. It's an interesting question, but I doubt Paige wants to stay in college that long.
I think they just made it so the Covid year doesn't count against your eligibility, so you could play up to 5 seasons in 5 years with the free Covid year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Based on stats/talent, she's right there with those 3. Ultimately though it's winning titles and elevating UCONN to new heights which is what separates those 3 from any other UCONN greats, and Paige hasn't accomplished that yet. If she doesn't bring home at least 2 titles (assuming she stays until 2025) I don't think you can put her on the same level as those 3 when looking at legacy.

Reaction Score
Based on stats/talent, she's right there with those 3. Ultimately though it's winning titles and elevating UCONN to new heights which is what separates those 3 from any other UCONN greats, and Paige hasn't accomplished that yet. If she doesn't bring home at least 2 titles (assuming she stays until 2025) I don't think you can put her on the same level as those 3 when looking at legacy.
For a variety of reasons including injury, I think she should qualify with just one title.

She led last year’s team to the championship game and her play was fabulous in that game. She was basically playing against two or more defenders all night - and very good defenders at that. She could not have done more to carry her team one championship and one runner up should do it.,

I realize y’all aren’t accustomed to runner/up but it’s great by everybody else.

Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi was the greatest player in the history of the women's game and that is due to her unmatched ability of elevating and making her teammates better. Anyone who follows UConn basketball knows who her teammates were during her last two seasons. Ask a general fan and I highly doubt they'd be able to name one. I also do recall Geno mentioning something about this in an interview at one point. To stir things up a little bit, if you put Diana or Maya on the teams Stewie was on, each would've easily won four championship. I do believe Breanna would've won two being on the teams Maya was on but don't know about more if it would have been more than that. But its all a guessing game so no one (obviously including me) really knows.

:p
For the fun of it I believe it's Stewie 1, DT 2, And Maya 3. And in regards to your point about DT and Maya winning 4, I doubt it but maybe - it depends on how anyone wants to frame it. IMO two of the 4 years Stewie's teams beat Notre Dame (not the year ND lost Achonwa), those ND teams were superior to what Dt and Maya had faced. Anyhow I do not want to knock super super super all-time greats and get into who is greater Willie Mays or Hank Aaron on this thread.

But for fun regarding this thread you bringing up DT and Maya winning 4 if they had Stewie's teammates; one point why I said I doubt it is look at DT's game vs ND in her frosh year. However if we want to instead look at DT's frosh year in the NCAA's leading up to the FF in which she was named Most Outstanding in the Region and as was Maya i'm near certain, then hell yeah. But then what about Paige? How many titles would she have won with Stewie’s teammates along with what DT was playing with her 1st two years etc
if we look at her amazing E8 games? And she was better than DT's first and probably 2nd FF game and while Maya had excellent stats in FF her frosh year she didn't shoot well and Higgins was the star of the game, a wing position that Maya played on the other side.

Each person has their own view. Nothing is wrong. :):)

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I wonder about this too. Does she want to be another Aly Patberg? There’s lots of pleasures to be had staying in college a little longer. And I wonder how attractive the W seems to her. She makes better money now, and her career in the W may not be all that long if she remains injury prone. Could she be happier going into coaching?
If you have the potential to realize millions of dollars as a college player versus less as a professional, why not milk the college scene? In the pros the big girls play rough. Will Paige's body be able to handle the physicality of the pro game here and overseas.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
For a variety of reasons including injury, I think she should qualify with just one title.

She led last year’s team to the championship game and her play was fabulous in that game. She was basically playing against two or more defenders all night - and very good defenders at that. She could not have done more to carry her team one championship and one runner up should do it.,

I realize y’all aren’t accustomed to runner/up but it’s great by everybody else.
It's open to interpretation, but it's hard to imagine she'd be on par with someone like Stewart who was a 4x champion, 4x Final Four MOP, and went 116-1 over her last 3 years (where she was the NPOY in all 3). Or on par with Moore who went 150-4 in 4 years, was also a 3x POY, finished top 2 in POY voting all 4 years, obliterated record books, and won 2 titles. Or DT who won 3 titles, a slew of accolades and had a 70+ game win streak. All 3 of those players took UCONN to new heights and put the program in a new stratosphere. Paige winning 1 title doesn't put her collegiate career in the same realm as the other 3 IMO.

Also, Paige last year was far from 100% in the tournament and it showed. I disagree with the assessment that she was fabulous and that she carried the team on her back (excluding the NC State game). Title game she had 14 points, 6 boards and 2 assists on 6-13 shooting. A fine stat line for most players but hardly a "carrying your team on your back" type of performance. She wasn't the NPOY caliber Bueckers we saw in 2021 where she single-handedly did carry UCONN on her back to a win over SC.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Bueckers has the potential to be one of the best ever to play for UConn but Moore, Stewart and Taurasi played in a competitive conference. Bueckers plays in the New Big East. That has to be considered when doing a statistical comparison. More important though is that injury prone Bueckers needs to put together some injury free seasons to be compared to the top three players ever to play for UConn.

Reaction Score
BBallnut90 give the girl a break. Paige carried the team as far as she could in the NC game. Others made turnover after turnover. CW didn;t score a point, as a senior in her last game. Paige deserves all the credit to get us to the NC game. She simply didn't have any supporting cast or apparently any plan. Yet, her greatness shone through.

Reaction Score
If you have the potential to realize millions of dollars as a college player versus less as a professional, why not milk the college scene? In the pros the big girls play rough. Will Paige's body be able to handle the physicality of the pro game here and overseas.
Not everyone wants to play school. She probably realizes after these injuries that she's not immortal, and she has limited time for a pro career, plus she's already on the older side being 21.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not everyone wants to play school.
For the long green she will play school where she outshines all of women's college basketball which will not be the case in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Bueckers has the potential to be one of the best ever to play for UConn but Moore, Stewart and Taurasi played in a competitive conference. Bueckers plays in the New Big East. That has to be considered when doing a statistical comparison. More important though is that injury prone Bueckers needs to put together some injury free seasons to be compared to the top three players ever to play for UConn.
Stewie & Co. were so good it likely wouldn't have mattered their league, but she did play three of her four years in the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom