OT: - How do you keep doves off your deck? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: How do you keep doves off your deck?

Reaction Score
I’ve moved it around with no luck. I thought maybe I just had the same birds coming back every year and they knew he was a fake owl regardless of where he was.
Next time don’t introduce them lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
too much flavor for a bird. Works good for squirrel though.
1619208278610.png

Mmm. Pimento smoked squirrel.

Reaction Score
Simple, just turn your deck and railing upside down. Eurasian Collared Doves can't crap upwards in defiance of gravity. On a more serious note, that exotic species may be classified as vermin in some jurisdictions, like rats, which could mean open season.

Reaction Score
I had one of those and one non squirrel proof (which the birds liked better). Gave up when the squirrels were going right through my hot pepper bird seed on the other feeder, and got a Squirrel Buster Plus yesterday at Agway. So far I have enjoyed their frustration with it today.
Shoot them too and make fried squirrel. Also tasty.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Try drawing little dove chalk outlines on the deck.
I like the idea! But I'm thinking a couple of full-scale fake squab, like the food they use to shoot photos, in a roasting pan sitting out there may be worth a shot. Anyone got a source? Amazon's got nothing.

'Course, there's the very real possibility the flying rat(s) just crap in my roasting pan.

Reaction Score
So I've got a Russian dove (or doves) that has suddenly decided that my deck railing outside my kitchen and dining room is his favorite place to hang out. And crap. Dove crap is pretty substantial, and disgusting. Think goose poop, I've been shooing them away every time I see them, but it / they are still managing to dump on my railing at least a couple times a day.

Is there a humane way to keep these things away from my deck without drastic measures like installing those bird spikes? I've seen ultrasonic bird repellers, but the spot in question is only about 50ft from my neighbors' bird feeders, so that would be sort of a dick move. Anyone else had a similar problem?
I was going to say "keep youre pants on" but then realized i read the title wrong. ;)

Reaction Score
I found something that works very well on my moms pool deck in Florida. I got it on Amazon and it’s called Bird B Gone - The bird repeller. It is a solar powered small unit with two arms about 2 1/2 feet long with tell tales on the end and it just slowly rotates all day long. Works great ! It costs about $50.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I found something that works very well on my moms pool deck in Florida. I got it on Amazon and it’s called Bird B Gone - The bird repeller. It is a solar powered small unit with two arms about 2 1/2 feet long with tell tales on the end and it just slowly rotates all day long. Works great ! It costs about $50.
Thanks, I'll check that out!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Nah, Lower River Valley, Eagles run the cleanup crew here.

Last spring an Eagle almost flew into my head. I was on deck and came around corner of deck to side of house and an Eagle was in the process of pulling a chipmunk out of flower bed like 8 feet from me. I startled it (but not as bad as it startled me) and it got up and flew directly at my head before doing a u-turn and dropping the chipmunk out of its talons onto my driveway. Huge adrenaline rush of nerves, those things are huge up close. Anyway, I went back inside all jangled from the encounter and went back out 15 minutes later, it had come back for the chipmunk in driveway. All clear. Im now trying to have my fiancee allow the two cats who are decidedly pampered indoor cats we have (well she has, they were there when I moved in) onto the gated deck when its nice out. Under the guise of " its good for them and mentally stimulating" My real aim is to watch an Eagle take off with one in its talons. I think she sees through my smokescreen though.
'ooohhhhhhhh, i am the eagle, i live in essex and lyme...'
lol. very cool, too.

Reaction Score
We hired this coyote to get rid of a roadrunner problem we had. Turned into a total disaster.
wile e. coyote fall GIF by Looney Tunes
I had a roadrunner squatting in my olive tree a few nights. It was kind of cool to watch him jump from the ground and disappear into the branches They are arrogant and fearless. They kill rattlers just for fun. They have a certain cocky swagger when they walk you have to respect.

Someone mentioned crows if they have numbers they will attack an owl or even an eagle. They will attack any bird regardless of its size. They’re the hyenas of the air.
Owls, Eagles, and crows have a special hate for each other.
As for your birds If there is a feral cat in the neighborhood start feeding it.
He will come back and they will leave

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
So I've got a Russian dove (or doves) that has suddenly decided that my deck railing outside my kitchen and dining room is his favorite place to hang out. And crap. Dove crap is pretty substantial, and disgusting. Think goose poop, I've been shooing them away every time I see them, but it / they are still managing to dump on my railing at least a couple times a day.

Is there a humane way to keep these things away from my deck without drastic measures like installing those bird spikes? I've seen ultrasonic bird repellers, but the spot in question is only about 50ft from my neighbors' bird feeders, so that would be sort of a dick move. Anyone else had a similar problem?
You must live in my house. That is exactly where they rest on my deck. Late summer I put a new deck from the dining room which is in clear view off the kitchen. Last deck was wood, so the poop nestled in the grooves. This year different story. Washable. However under the deck, even if new, they build a nest for years under the deck. You can throw away a nice size complete nest. Minutes, and I mean minutes, there is a brand new one. I gave up. Poop everywhere underneath.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom