OT: - How do you keep doves off your deck? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How do you keep doves off your deck?

Reaction Score
Shoot them, breast them out, drop a slice of jalapeno in each breast and wrap with bacon and grill. Very tasty.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My high school had a fake owl or hawk(? Some kind of bird of prey) on a spike at the top of our press box to keep seagulls off the field. Maybe that will work?
I use the fake owl.

Works okay but you gotta move it around or they get used to it. Also, crows will kick its ass. They decapitated ours once.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You must not have grown up in Hartford. Graduate to the real stuff.
eh, Im a right tool for the job kinda guy. The real stuff seems like overkill in this instance, its like cutting a thin wooden dowel with a chainsaw.

I find, that say, for example, a 1976 Crossman 760 powermaster pellet rifle on 10 pumps is more than adequate. Just ask my squirrels. Oh wait, you can't. Maybe next year.

Reaction Score
So I've got a Russian dove (or doves) that has suddenly decided that my deck railing outside my kitchen and dining room is his favorite place to hang out. And crap. Dove crap is pretty substantial, and disgusting. Think goose poop, I've been shooing them away every time I see them, but it / they are still managing to dump on my railing at least a couple times a day.

Is there a humane way to keep these things away from my deck without drastic measures like installing those bird spikes? I've seen ultrasonic bird repellers, but the spot in question is only about 50ft from my neighbors' bird feeders, so that would be sort of a dick move. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Are you sure you don't have a Dook flag in your backyard? I heard it attracts all sort of @Dove (s)

Reaction Score
I’ve moved it around with no luck. I thought maybe I just had the same birds coming back every year and they knew he was a fake owl regardless of where he was.

Reaction Score
I have a fake hawk to keep geese away. Worked for a very short time, even when I moved it.
Graduated to fake snakes. Same deal.
How about something that moves with the breeze? A beach across the lake has this dog cutout thing that spins with the breeze and it seems to work.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
eh, Im a right tool for the job kinda guy. The real stuff seems like overkill in this instance, its like cutting a thin wooden dowel with a chainsaw.

I find, that say, for example, a 1976 Crossman 760 powermaster pellet rifle on 10 pumps is more than adequate. Just ask my squirrels. Oh wait, you can't. Maybe next year.
'Just ask my squirrels. Oh wait, you can't. Maybe next year.'
hmmm, good thoughts. i see that we are both members of the dead squirrel society. mebbe there is redemption for you afterall. do you use the 'hey hawks, come and get it!' waste removal company, after a successful squirrel expiration session? or the 'hey wolves, chowtime!' yell? turkey vultures? please don't tell me that you just dispose of them. that's just a waste, anti-natural, and would diminish ur street cred.

Reaction Score
hmmm, good thoughts. i see that we are both members of the dead squirrel society. mebbe there is redemption for you afterall. do you use the 'hey hawks, come and get it!' waste removal company, after a successful squirrel expiration session? or the 'hey wolves, chowtime!' yell? turkey vultures? please don't tell me that you just dispose of them. that's just a waste, anti-natural, and would diminish ur street cred.
Do the predators eating your squirrels end up eating the ammunition, too? Cuz that's not cool.

August_West

Reaction Score

Nah, Lower River Valley, Eagles run the cleanup crew here.

Last spring an Eagle almost flew into my head. I was on deck and came around corner of deck to side of house and an Eagle was in the process of pulling a chipmunk out of flower bed like 8 feet from me. I startled it (but not as bad as it startled me) and it got up and flew directly at my head before doing a u-turn and dropping the chipmunk out of its talons onto my driveway. Huge adrenaline rush of nerves, those things are huge up close. Anyway, I went back inside all jangled from the encounter and went back out 15 minutes later, it had come back for the chipmunk in driveway. All clear. Im now trying to have my fiancee allow the two cats who are decidedly pampered indoor cats we have (well she has, they were there when I moved in) onto the gated deck when its nice out. Under the guise of " its good for them and mentally stimulating" My real aim is to watch an Eagle take off with one in its talons. I think she sees through my smokescreen though.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Do the predators eating your squirrels end up eating the ammunition, too? Cuz that's not cool.
u may be unfamiliar with the squirrel realities, and the absolute nightmares they often create. as to 'predator ingestion,' they're quite capable of eating intelligently, and for those times that they glom a tiny projectile, well, their elimination system is more than adequate to handle that as well. i use copper.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
not to go off topic but Squirrel Buster feeders work great.

I had one of those and one non squirrel proof (which the birds liked better). Gave up when the squirrels were going right through my hot pepper bird seed on the other feeder, and got a Squirrel Buster Plus yesterday at Agway. So far I have enjoyed their frustration with it today.

August_West

Reaction Score
I had one of those and one non squirrel proof (which the birds liked better). Gave up when the squirrels were going right through my hot pepper bird seed on the other feeder, and got a Squirrel Buster Plus yesterday at Agway. So far I have enjoyed their frustration with it today.

That will last for another day or so.

Even mechanical engineers lose to squirrels.

This is well worth the watch by the way.

Reaction Score
u may be unfamiliar with the squirrel realities, and the absolute nightmares they often create. as to 'predator ingestion,' they're quite capable of eating intelligently, and for those times that they glom a tiny projectile, well, their elimination system is more than adequate to handle that as well. i use copper.
oh I know. One chewed through my screen door and had to get him out of the house. Still don't want to be inhumane. Copper is good. Many large bird predators die from lead.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That will last for another day or so.

Even mechanical engineers lose to squirrels.

This is well worth the watch by the way.

I've seen that, it's a fun watch. He's not really trying, just having fun with them. As @Vancat noted, they have not defeated the one I've had up for some time. I had a Yankee Dipper, they did beat that eventually. If they get past this one, I'll buy the bird spikes. They make about a 9 foot leap from the fence to the feeder pole now. Spiking the fence should shut that down.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shoot them, breast them out, drop a slice of jalapeno in each breast and wrap with bacon and grill. Very tasty.
Shouldn't they be smoked using pimento branches?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom