How did Calhoun know? | The Boneyard

How did Calhoun know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How did he do any of this? It is astounding. I have always believed but this is beyond belief.

We went nuts when he won the NIT. And then it took forever to make a final four. He just kept pounding on the door until it splintered. And once in the room, he won. He shouted and he screamed and he swore and he pushed and the players loved him for it. He was tougher than a pair of ten year old boots. He didn't take spit from anyone. He didn't care what anyone thought. And he won again and again. He knew it was point guards. And he knew which point guards. And he leaned on them and pushed them and yelled at them and squeezed them into diamonds and they won national championships and they loved him for it. And of all the point guards, he knew it was Ollie. How the freak did he know it was Ollie? And he sat him down beside him. And forced the hand of the athletic director and willed his choice on the university and didn't back down from anyone and we loved him for it.

It's Calhoun. It always has been. It still is. And others make their own destiny. But his will still drives this university and this fan base and this state.

And I f#cking love him for it.

Reaction Score
Years from now, I hope KO is in the same position as JC was, sitting on a pile of rings, and ready to pick the next great UConn coach.

JC is a legend, he has made his life around recognizing people's potential and pushing them to reach it, both as a player and as a person.

Reaction Score
The choice of Ollie is pretty remarkable if you think about it. It's easy to retrospectively look at Ollie's NBA career and say that given his experience it makes perfect sense that he is a good coach.

Calhoun clearly started talking to Ollie when Sellers left and made the decision in 2010 that Ollie would be his successor. He made that decision before he helped him break down a single team's defense, before he held a single press conference and before he tried to recruit a single player.

Also, I don't know that this arrangement would work anywhere else. Having your hall of fame predecessor at each and every game in your first two years is something most new coaches would despise.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Decades from now, I hope KO is in the same position as JC was, sitting on a pile of rings, and ready to pick the next great UConn coach.

JC is a legend, he has made his life around recognizing people's potential and pushing them to reach it, both as a player and as a person.

Fixed it for you.

Reaction Score
Who do we have to petition to get a 30 for 30 piece? I just want more than the footnote we got in the Big East fluff piece that they did. I mean look at the material they have. Two premier college bball programs. The soundbites from JC and Geno alone would be a gold mine. The players: Ray, Rip, Caron, Okafor,Lobo, Taurasi, Bird the list goes on. Undefeated in National Title games.

All from a little sleepy town in the middle of CT.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I wonder how hard it was for JC to pick one of his "kids" over all the others. It is impressive that he picked someone who is very different from him in many ways (and the same in many others). Maybe it wasn't hard, maybe it was obvious that there was something special about KO that gave JC confidence that he was "The ONE."

I guess we can't expect KO to keep up this rate of winning NC's, but he's off to a decent start as a head coach with so little experience.

Reaction Score
Great thread. JC deserves a ton of credit for this championship, in many ways this is his first championship as a quasi General Manager of the team. He hand picked this coach and force fed him on UCONN nation because he knew, and I get the impression that JC is still a big part of the program and is helping Ollie push buttons behind the scenes.

JC is doing a Pat Riley, moving from hall of fame coach to hall of fame general manager.

Reaction Score
Who do we have to petition to get a 30 for 30 piece? I just want more than the footnote we got in the Big East fluff piece that they did. I mean look at the material they have. Two premier college bball programs. The soundbites from JC and Geno alone would be a gold mine. The players: Ray, Rip, Caron, Okafor,Lobo, Taurasi, Bird the list goes on. Undefeated in National Title games.

All from a little sleepy town in the middle of CT.
"What if I told you that regional school known more for cow tipping than sports would come to rule the college basketball world? What if I told you that the best college basketball school doesnt wear candy stripe pants, sing rock chalk jayhawk, count a judd as a fan, or play on tobacco road?"

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ollie is a lifer. I have no doubt at all.

Reaction Score
If we get that 30 for 30 piece, they damn well better give you credit for that opening UConn5. Legendary opening by you. Inconceivable 30 yrs ago.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How did he know?

The man's single greatest talent is being able to find (and nuture) talent, often when others don't see it. Personnel evaluation probably applies to coaches as well as players.

Reaction Score
I knew too……….said it here. Big deal! :eek:………….

The "it" factor was there, the background and hard work was there, no one knew he could improve so dramatically as a "coach" this fast, and he DID just that. We all can see the motivator side as he can get into a kids head and make him be more than what the kid even believes. But could he coach? Well that's no longer a question is it?

Thank you JC for always doing the right thing for UCONN.

Reaction Score
GREAT post Palatine. It is beyond remarkable. Calhoun's closest and possibly only comp is Red Auerbach

Reaction Score
Ollie's experience and integrity was well known but don't forget that JC got to watch Ollie coach for 2 years. Obviously KO did very well in his audition so it was probably an easy decision. We are so lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
Palatine posted what many of us thought in the back of our mind but for one reason or another did not come out with it!!! Great post!!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think it's because JC knows a thing or two about college basketball and college basketball coaches.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like the thread. But I also find it ironic that the OP was same guy saying Ollie would be on the hot seat if we lost to St. Joe's.

I also don't believe JC would purposely damage the program by putting forward a coach who he thought would cause the program to stagnate, even out of loyalty. UCONN was his life's work, his baby. The guy evaluated KO's potential and found him to be the right man for the job. People didn't give that enough credence.

Reaction Score
I also don't believe JC would purposely damage the program by putting forward a coach who he thought would cause the program to stagnate, even out of loyalty. UCONN was his life's work, his baby. The guy evaluated KO's potential and found him to be the right man for the job. People didn't give that enough credence.
I agree in concept but would say it differently. People didn't give enough credence to the concept that Jim Calhoun understood that continued UConn success fit into both Calhoun's and the bball programs best interests.

So some got nervous in thinking that Calhoun wanted Ollie because only KO would allow JC to continue to be involved. But in reality JC understood that he could help immensely and that his continued involvement was the best way for a transition that addressed the difficult challenge of following a legend. Despite knowing and understanding this, JC couldn't convince Manuel or others of it. So maybe JC agreed to step down in Sept-12 if they'd name Ollie interim and give it a whirl. He knew it would work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer