How did Calhoun know? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How did Calhoun know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
I may be alone in this but I think Calhoun had a lot to say in this tournament run.

The team was no doubt Ollie's but I would bet Calhoun was on the phone with him every night these past few weeks.

Reaction Score
I may be alone in this but I think Calhoun had a lot to say in this tournament run.

The team was no doubt Ollie's but I would bet Calhoun was on the phone with him every night these past few weeks.
unfortunately you're not alone, and its very sad to read you and several posters undermine KO and the rest of the staff's coaching ability by constantly implying that JC was part of coming up with the gameplans and the one pushing all the buttons behind the scenes. We constantly saw IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS during this run, yet you guys want to give all the glory to JC who was watching in the stands.

Reaction Score
I like the thread. But I also find it ironic that the OP was same guy saying Ollie would be on the hot seat if we lost to St. Joe's.
Yeah, and that's true too. I did draw it back a bit, but he would have felt some heat if we went down to St. Joe's.

But we didn't KO took the whole thing. He made the point moot. And the reason he did was because Calhoun put him in that chair. And make no mistake Calhoun, not Warde, put him in that chair.

And I sit here and marvel that Calhoun knew. And he knew a long time ago. It's just something else we owe that gruff, tough Irishman.

Reaction Score
At a recent press conference JC was asked how many times a week does KO call him for advice. Here's the proof. :rolleyes:

628x471.jpg

C

Chief00

Calhoun has been on a roll calling Coach Cal a bullsh-tter and telling Daniels nobody was talking abut him. Also said UK doesn't play fundamental ball.

Reaction Score
aceboon said:
unfortunately you're not alone, and its very sad to read you and several posters undermine KO and the rest of the staff's coaching ability by constantly implying that JC was part of coming up with the gameplans and the one pushing all the buttons behind the scenes. We constantly saw IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS during this run, yet you guys want to give all the glory to JC who was watching in the stands.

That seems like a harsh reaction. KO certainly made in game adjustments and clearly knows what he's doing but not getting JC's input when it is there for the taking is unlikely. KO respects JC as much as anyone and he'd probably feel awkward not giving him a call. On top of that, JC is a treasure trove of ideas, info and experience. KO has proven a great coach but I am sure he leans on JC for help, that is the smart thing to do and KO is very careful to prepare and get things right.
It is not a knock on KO in any way to say that he probably had JC's help in game planning. That doesn't mean he took all of his advice and it doesn't make KO any less of a coach. All coaches like to talk basketball with other coaches and having the brain of a top 5 all time coach at your disposal is a major luxury.

Reaction Score
When JC says something he's usually right, who wouldn't listen to Calhoun's basketball mind. The Ollie hire only expands the greatness of JC, its very cool to see the alums in the crowd with him. Rip was by Calhoun and his family's side during our whole tourney run, would love to see Shabazz (when he has time in his NBA schedule) next to Calhoun at our games.

Reaction Score
That seems like a harsh reaction. KO certainly made in game adjustments and clearly knows what he's doing but not getting JC's input when it is there for the taking is unlikely. KO respects JC as much as anyone and he'd probably feel awkward not giving him a call. On top of that, JC is a treasure trove of ideas, info and experience. KO has proven a great coach but I am sure he leans on JC for help, that is the smart thing to do and KO is very careful to prepare and get things right.
It is not a knock on KO in any way to say that he probably had JC's help in game planning. That doesn't mean he took all of his advice and it doesn't make KO any less of a coach. All coaches like to talk basketball with other coaches and having the brain of a top 5 all time coach at your disposal is a major luxury.

*shrugs* I guess I just think differently then, I just believe that the staff got together and put together great gameplans on both ends(the defensive gameplans with the way they forced PGs to the sidelines was straight outta the NBA, where KO just happened to spend alot of time), and didn't feel the need to call on JC like a retired detective to solve a cold case. We have 2 former head coaches on the staff as assistants, and a head coach who was described as a head coach on the floor during his playing days and who reportedly saved stacks of scouting reports from a long list of head coaches, giving him a ton of ways to gameplan an offense and defense.

Just not a fan on how this board can operate at times, when they lose to SMU and Louisville its "KO got schooled and outcoached, he's got alot of learning to do", then when he and the staff put on a clinic in the tourney run that has NBA guys like Reggie Miller, Grant Hill, and Steve Smith gushing postgame about the in game adjustments and game planning, we have some posters resort to "Calhoun obviously had input on the gameplanning and he was definitely playing a role behind thr scenes". I didn't hear anyone blaming JC during the losses, so why does he now get credit for coaching this team along the way during the tourney?

Reaction Score
aceboon said:
*shrugs* I guess I just think differently then, I just believe that the staff got together and put together great gameplans on both ends(the defensive gameplans with the way they forced PGs to the sidelines was straight outta the NBA, where KO just happened to spend alot of time), and didn't feel the need to call on JC like a retired detective to solve a cold case. We have 2 former head coaches on the staff as assistants, and a head coach who was described as a head coach on the floor during his playing days and who reportedly saved stacks of scouting reports from a long list of head coaches, giving him a ton of ways to gameplan an offense and defense. Just not a fan on how this board can operate at times, when they lose to SMU and Louisville its "KO got schooled and outcoached, he's got alot of learning to do", then when he and the staff put on a clinic in the tourney run that has NBA guys like Reggie Miller, Grant Hill, and Steve Smith gushing postgame about the in game adjustments and game planning, we have some posters resort to "Calhoun obviously had input on the gameplanning and he was definitely playing a role behind thr scenes". I didn't hear anyone blaming JC during the losses, so why does he now get credit for coaching this team along the way during the tourney?
Fair enough. I just think that KO uses the resource. In regard to your point about people knocking KO for losses, that was silly. He's done a great job from day 1. However, he is certainly a better game coach now than he was a month ago. We watched both he and the team evolve.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't hear anyone blaming JC during the losses, so why does he now get credit for coaching this team along the way during the tourney?

Nobody is saying JC coached the team, JC deserves credit for picking his replacement. Some idiots on this board were saying that JC was intentionally trying to destroy the program he built when he basically forced the school to go with Ollie.

There is plenty of glory to go around for everyone, this board is nothing but an Ollie love fest right now so there is no need to get defensive. Ollie has said in numerous interviews that he consults with JC and Geno, all successful coaches have mentors.

BTW the people who criticized Ollie earlier in the year are dumb for doing so. There are indeed plenty of dumb posts on this board every day.

Reaction Score
Nobody is saying JC coached the team, JC deserves credit for picking his replacement. Some idiots on this board were saying that JC was intentionally trying to destroy the program he built when he basically forced the school to go with Ollie.

There is plenty of glory to go around for everyone, this board is nothing but an Ollie love fest right now so there is no need to get defensive. Ollie has said in numerous interviews that he consults with JC and Geno, all successful coaches have mentors.

BTW the people who criticized Ollie earlier in the year are dumb for doing so. There are indeed plenty of dumb posts on this board every day.

I agree with JC definitely receiving all the credit for handpicking KO, and seeing that this was the guy to take care of what he built, but I have definitely seen posters imply that JC had direct involvement in game planning, it was done in the post I responded to.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Calhoun didn't push for Ollie getting the job so Calhoun could still control the team. Calhoun wouldn't want us to have a coach who would allow that.
Calhoun is a great resource and Ollie would be a fool not to listen to him. But Ollie's coaching was distinctly his own and not the things JC would have done. Playing small, not yanking players, even a little zone.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
How did he do any of this? It is astounding. I have always believed but this is beyond belief.

We went nuts when he won the NIT. And then it took forever to make a final four. He just kept pounding on the door until it splintered. And once in the room, he won. He shouted and he screamed and he swore and he pushed and the players loved him for it. He was tougher than a pair of ten year old boots. He didn't take spit from anyone. He didn't care what anyone thought. And he won again and again. He knew it was point guards. And he knew which point guards. And he leaned on them and pushed them and yelled at them and squeezed them into diamonds and they won national championships and they loved him for it. And of all the point guards, he knew it was Ollie. How the freak did he know it was Ollie? And he sat him down beside him. And forced the hand of the athletic director and willed his choice on the university and didn't back down from anyone and we loved him for it.

It's Calhoun. It always has been. It still is. And others make their own destiny. But his will still drives this university and this fan base and this state.

And I f#cking love him for it.

I'm not sure "how" he knew but I'm pretty sure this was when......

960x540.jpg

"Connecticut head coach Jim Calhoun hugs Kevin Ollie with one minute left on the clock during the NCAA West Regional Championship against UCLA on Saturday, March 25, 1995 at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, Calif. Connecticut was eliminated by UCLA 102-96."

Reaction Score

I thought so, too. It had to happen that way. Izzo still uses his former boss. I am sure Pitino was on Donovan's ears prior to the semifinal game.

Reaction Score
It now seems obvious ... that Jim Calhoun's discussions with KO on joining the staff as an Assistant included a conversation on his succession. I think Kevin Ollie was told (and as he told Larry Brown) that this is YOUR opportunity to be the lead guy in the UConn family. Like everything with Calhoun, Kevin Ollie had to earn that position by what he did in those years as an Assistant. He, as JC says, got a PhD in Basketball in his 13 year NBA & College career. But, he proved that he could evaluate & recruit; motivate; and be composed while on that bench in the second seat. (Blaney moved over)

Reaction Score
I agree with JC definitely receiving all the credit for handpicking KO, and seeing that this was the guy to take care of what he built, but I have definitely seen posters imply that JC had direct involvement in game planning, it was done in the post I responded to.
A few comments.
1. I didn't post it in this thread but I have blindly speculated that JC did some game-planning in post-season, I don't know and actually SAW Calhoun having a leisurely dinner with his son in Memphis an hour before the Friday night doubleheader in the AAC tournament AFTER the coaches all left so I hypothesized this while knowing if true it was in the private conversation type, not in the locker room. JC was not on the coaching staff, whatever he did it was different.
2. I think this kind of speculation within the message board is harmless. Much different than a column about it and whether or not it happened I'd agree 1000% that it is a team, closed door matter mostly because it would undermine KO publicly.
3. Despite that, I think IF it occurred or the fact that it might have occurred is a STRENGTH of KO. If it came out publicly that JC helped in some way and people said it undermined KO I would vehemently argue the opposite. Kevin Ollie is not vain, he has said many times it is not about one player, one team or any one person. UConn is a program. Because he believes in that he is open to input. That made him the perfect person for the incredibly difficult job of succeeding a legend. Bob Ryan recently commented that succeeding a legend has NEVER been done successfully, yet Kevin Ollie has seemingly done just that. KO is in new territory and he's succeeding because of who he is.

In the end it doesn't matter if JC game-planned, scouted, pointed out anything about basketball or counseled KO on big picture stuff, what hotel to stay at, or curfew hours. This was a program win. Ten toes in.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A few comments.
1. I didn't post it in this thread but I have blindly speculated that JC did some game-planning in post-season,

When you use the term "game planning" I think you go a step too far and that step diminishes Ollie A coach makes the game plan. And Ollie's game plan did not resemble ones used Calhoun.
Whether you call it Calhoun or the Program, it still doesn't hold water. Ollie has advisers to get feedback from. JC is huge in that category. But that is enough.

Reaction Score
Calhoun didn't push Ollie on Manuel so that he could remain directly involved. However, it's naive to think that Calhoun was ego-free in his desire to have "his guy" take over. I don't know to what degree Calhoun "knew" Ollie would be able to get it done as coach, but I'd say it was at least 20-30% ego-driven and the rest wanting the best outcome for the program.

As far as our current team's performance, I give JC credit only insofar as he instilled in Ollie some of the toughness that JC himself possesses, and taught Ollie how to translate that toughness to his players. X's and O's wise, I think Ollie could coach circles around JC at this point, and Ollie deserves all of the credit for some of the things he's been able to implement on offense.

Reaction Score
When you use the term "game planning" I think you go a step too far and that step diminishes Ollie A coach makes the game plan. And Ollie's game plan did not resemble ones used Calhoun.
Whether you call it Calhoun or the Program, it still doesn't hold water. Ollie has advisers to get feedback from. JC is huge in that category. But that is enough.
I hear you. I used game planning thinking of it as a bunch of sub tasks such as scouting a player, a counsel with Ollie about a tendency JC noticed or KO wanting to debate a tactic. I differentiate that from The Game Plan that I agree is Ollie's. I should have avoided that phrase and just said scouting or consulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom