How come Dorka only played 3 minutes? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How come Dorka only played 3 minutes?

Reaction Score
I always knew that Geno would go back to his old way of distributing minutes, but he has to realize that this could negate the advantage he has about keeping players fresh. He doesn't have to do it as liberal as he has done lately, but it was plain to see that Azzi was gassed in the fourth quarter. Her threes were way off, and the shot she took inside the foul line was a line drive that hit the front of the rim. Caroline and Dorka need a few more minutes just to remain sharp, but a little bench time, and I'm only talking a few minutes, for Paige and Azzi early in the fourth could make them more productive late in the game.
UCONN won the game in which there was no realistic chance Indiana was going to win late. I don't think Geno has to realize anything other than that.

Reaction Score
We are down to what is theoretically the hottest 16 teams left. There is little room for error. She has missed something like her last 9 shots, and her last 6 layups, or something close. She received an excellent pass and was in position to go straight up and score. Instead she complicated the play and missed badly not even hitting the rim. Mind you, she was standing right next to the rim, on her right side, which is her strong hand.

When she came out, as she was approaching Geno, he said nothing but was shaking his head. I’d rather see her shot blocked while going up strong, sticking her butt out for space, versus what happened.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Geno had a group he trusted in the 3rd quarter that just decimated IU. AE played possessed after she was mugged and no foul was called and Liv was playing great. As said above, Dorka looked tentative. Iirc in the second half Geno want to a 4 guard lineup more than usual which cut out some minutes for the bigs. So I’d say there was just less opportunity this game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Q. While you're still playing -- you mentioned Paige is getting closer to what she was. What do you like about this five that you seem to be kind of sticking with? They're rolling, and obviously you're not going to break it up when it's going well, but what do you like about this core?

GENO AURIEMMA: Well, I made a concerted effort, I wanted to play nine players today. I wanted to play nine players. We got nine in. Just some people sometimes when they get in are more effective than others, so you've got to watch and see what do they have today.

But unfortunately some people need a lot of minutes to be effective. But unfortunately in the NCAA Tournament you don't have time. So you've got to get it done right away. So it's kind of -- it's just nobody's fault, it just is what it is.

Nika helps us out by fouling a lot so that gets us to get somebody else in the game. But everyone has a role to play on our team. And it depends on what night it is, what your role is going to be that night, which is what I really like.

Reaction Score
Geno had a group he trusted in the 3rd quarter that just decimated IU. AE played possessed after she was mugged and no foul was called and Liv was playing great. As said above, Dorka looked tentative. Iirc in the second half Geno want to a 4 guard lineup more than usual which cut out some minutes for the bigs. So I’d say there was just less opportunity this game.

If you can only play 2 bigs, and they are in danger of picking up #4 or fouling out, then you have almost no choice to play 1 and go small. We need Dorka, she allows us to play 4/1 or 3/2. We need her back.

Reaction Score
Nika helps us out by fouling a lot so that gets us to get somebody else in the game. But everyone has a role to play on our team. And it depends on what night it is, what your role is going to be that night, which is what I really like.

Nika’s 3rd foul was right in front of us. On the inbound she basically hit the Indiana player with 2 hands in the chest/shoulders, very much like a football CB playing bump and run. Mind you the girl was running from baseline to outside and had her back to the ball. She was not setting a screen and was in no way going to be an issue at that point in time. It was a head scratcher. And it’s too bad because Nika certainly raises the energy level when she comes in.

Reaction Score
I understand why she was pulled first half. I just would like to see a player who works hard, to be able to get another chance at redeeming them self while in the midst of pressure. See where their focal point and resolve is once they've had a chance to think about it. Dorka was lights out when she became the starter. I hope that's not part of her glitch. One thing for certain, the bench is the penalty box for Geno. Rule by fear.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand why she was pulled first half. I just would like to see a player who works hard, to be able to get another chance at redeeming them self while in the midst of pressure. See where their focal point and resolve is once they've had a chance to think about it. Dorka was lights out when she became the starter. I hope that's not part of her glitch. One thing for certain, the bench is the penalty box for Geno. Rule by fear.
Read his quote. These aren’t learning games, these are the games you have it bring it from the first minute you come onto the court. He needs the people that are playing their best that game.

Reaction Score
Read his quote. These aren’t learning games, these are the games you have it bring it from the first minute you come onto the court. He needs the people that are playing their best that game.
This exactly. Geno explained it very well during the post game yesterday. If people haven’t watched it, they should.

Reaction Score
I think you nailed it. Not only were ONO and AE playing one of the best games of their career but when the other subs came in, they immediately performed well. ONO and AE got their rest without Dorka.
That wasn’t near the best games of their career for neither. Did they give effort? Yes Did they defend and rebound Yes. But AE was out of control at times Liv was also missing layups and getting block by a much smaller player. They has have to develop a hook shot going right and left.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
"Well, I made a concerted effort, I wanted to play nine players today. I wanted to play nine players. We got nine in. Just some people sometimes when they get in are more effective than others, so you've got to watch and see what do they have today.

But unfortunately some people need a lot of minutes to be effective. But unfortunately in the NCAA Tournament you don't have time. So you've got to get it done right away. So it's kind of -- it's just nobody's fault, it just is what it is."

Listening to Geno say this at the time, I thought this was a direct, albeit veiled, reference to Dorka.

One thing I noted was that when Dorka was in a pregame presser talking about her experience playing against Indiana she was practically breathless with (I assume) excitement. I thought at the time that she was either going to maul her former Big10 rivals or she might toss a few shot attempts over the backboard. I think she was totally over-hyped leading up to the game and when she was inserted into the lineup. She may be an experienced player, but she's new to this pressurized environment. If I'm right about this, she somehow she needs to relax and slow the game down in her head. She's a really good player with a skill set that is complimentary to the other bigs. We need her and all hands contributing to do what everybody wants to get done Monday.

Reaction Score
I think Geno in a way likes the idea of a 9 player rotation even against top competition, but in the tough games he has a very short hook. If he inserts a player who has a bad first minute or two they may be done for the day. My question that I don't know the answer to, is how do you build confidence in a player?

Dorka, Aaliyah, and at times Caroline have seemed to be nervous and rushed on shots around the basket. I understand the teaching aspect, namely if you do something wrong you sit, and in the long run you will learn and be a better player as a result. But if the issue is more nerves, confidence, and the pressure of the moment what is the best solution?

You could give that player a little more rope, and hope they settle down and get into the game, not being paranoid that they are one mistake away from an early hook. Maybe if they don't settle down and make more mistakes, you yank them then, but give them a chance to right the ship themselves, at least for a little longer.

Isn't there a difference between what kind of problem it is. Not hustling? get them out, same thing for not following the game-plan, too many missed assignments on defense etc. But if it is nerves or a lack of confidence couldn't a quick hook be pouring gasoline on the fire? It seems to me very one of the 9 players in a full rotation have earned their place there over the course of the season.

Caroline for example was hardly used in the beginning of the season, then because of injuries Geno had to use her, playing her 40 minutes in at least one game, and for a stretch you could argue she was our best offensive player. Dorka was a starter for much of the year when Aaliyah was struggling and did a good job. Haven't they proven themselves enough to not warrant a quick hook if they make a mistake or look a little nervous in their first couple of minutes?

Many coaches learn how all their players are different, and you push different buttons to motivate different players, and I have no idea what that is for players like Dorka or Caroline, but it seems like Geno publicly touts the merits of a deep rotation, while looking for a quick reason to abandon it. He probably knows better, but i just don't get it.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, Geno was messaging Dorka there I think.

Reaction Score
Genos choices yesterday were pretty pitch perfect in terms of rotation. I remind everyone that for Dorka or Nika or Caroline to play the minutes we want - Liv Aaliyah Paige CW or Azzi (or multiple of them) need to be out during all those minutes.

This is the NCAA tournament. You need to be making a consistent positive impact nearly immediately on the game to stay in. It’s not personal.

Reaction Score
I was there yesterday and the place was rocking when they went on that run to start the 3rd quarter. I didn't see the defensive lapses by Dorka but her two outside shots were nervous shots and her lay up was just unfortunate. We will definitely need her size Monday night and if she can make outside shots it will change the game because the middle will open up.

I also wanted to see Caroline more. She is a 100% basketball player. In 8 minutes she had 4 points, a rebound and 2 assists. She can be a major weapon going forward. She has appeared tentative at times though and I don't know if it's the injury, being a freshman in the Big Dance ,not starting, or a combination thereof.

At halftime I turned to my wife and remarked that CW only had 5 points and was going to get going in the second half. She just goes to the basket like no one else and is unstoppable with a head of steam.

I think I just have to get used to the fact that with Aaliyah you are going to get basketball pluses and minuses every game. If she ever gets to that zone of basketball completeness it will be something very special. She just seems to need a better awareness of exactly where she is and others are on the court. In that last play before halftime she lost sight of her man and stayed underneath instead of being on her and she made the 3.

I thought Evina contributed solidly on defense and the two breakaways on steals made the place roar. She had a turnover but it didn't lead to a basket and made some great set up passes that were hockey assists.

Liv was just great all around. She really wants it and I hope she stays out of foul trouble on Monday. Nika was Nika, a crowd favorite with a bomb of a 3, and Paige and Azzi were really good even on a somewhat off night. I hope we get to see the 2 of them both really "on" together on Monday and hopefully beyond. That layup by Paige off the cut hand off was picture perfect form.

That devastating run was defense and going to the basket and being opportunistic. The Hoosiers were shellshocked and their timeout when the lead was 13 was closing the barn doors after the horses had run out. Their season was over because they were not coming back.

I wanted us to play ND because of Paige but NC State is a very good team with a very good offensive inside player. We won't have to be perfect, just 1 point better.

Reaction Score

Q. While you're still playing -- you mentioned Paige is getting closer to what she was. What do you like about this five that you seem to be kind of sticking with? They're rolling, and obviously you're not going to break it up when it's going well, but what do you like about this core?

GENO AURIEMMA: Well, I made a concerted effort, I wanted to play nine players today. I wanted to play nine players. We got nine in. Just some people sometimes when they get in are more effective than others, so you've got to watch and see what do they have today.

But unfortunately some people need a lot of minutes to be effective. But unfortunately in the NCAA Tournament you don't have time. So you've got to get it done right away. So it's kind of -- it's just nobody's fault, it just is what it is.

How novel. The coach actually making decisions during a game as to who should play based on how they are playing. You would think that he is trying to win the game?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Listening to Geno say this at the time, I thought this was a direct, albeit veiled, reference to Dorka.

One thing I noted was that when Dorka was in a pregame presser talking about her experience playing against Indiana she was practically breathless with (I assume) excitement. I thought at the time that she was either going to maul her former Big10 rivals or she might toss a few shot attempts over the backboard. I think she was totally over-hyped leading up to the game and when she was inserted into the lineup. She may be an experienced player, but she's new to this pressurized environment. If I'm right about this, she somehow she needs to relax and slow the game down in her head. She's a really good player with a skill set that is complimentary to the other bigs. We need her and all hands contributing to do what everybody wants to get done Monday.
I thought it was a reference to Caroline. Still only a freshman, Caroline needs some time to settle into a game and find her groove. She’s a great player, though, and will learn. She’s incredibly coachable - Geno says she’s the only one that listens to him.

Reaction Score
That the Big East is a good conference with 2 teams in the E8 and a 3rd in S16?
I remember BYers lamenting that this was going to be another AAC which was being blamed for our FF loses. Those of us who were BE men's fans always knew what the conference was. It is only going to get even better and quickly on the ladies' side. The transfer portal and the Covid year will continue to impact and of course recruiting just took a quantum leap forward for Creighton and Nova and maybe DePaul and The Hall. It's a basketball conference with a lot of intersecting older rivalries and that will show itself in the women's game even more. I mean 2 teams in the top 8 so soon is sick. Let's not forget that we lost to Nova this year. Sure we were down, but we still lost. Now that's a separate women's rivalry too. How many years will that game be brought up every time we play?

Reaction Score
Caroline came in made a great move under the basket, made the pass of the game to Liv, was yanked shortly thereafter and hardly got in again

I can understand the Dorka issue, not Caroline

Caroline came out after her turnover in the circle. You could see Geno was upset. Honestly, he played all of the right people for the right amount of time yesterday. This is crunch time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom