Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The roster over the next few years is silly

Posts Wings Points Guards

Stef Kelly Caroline KML
Kia Tiff Bria Lauren
Heather Breanna BB
MJ Tuck Jefferson

Most likely coming in after next season is Diamond and a year later Sierra both wings . So what positions will UConn be recuiting for? A post.... Mercedes would be a good fit as Stef will be a senior and Heather a graduate and Kia and upper classman. Another scorer at the guard/wing. Thats about it.

Reaction Score

Thank you from all of us, Tonyc, for doing Mickie DeMoss's work for her. Good job!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
my answer to that is simple. and i'm sure it's similar to what Geno says (altho he says way more and better than i do for sure).

you don't come to UCONN if you expect to start from day 1 and to be a star or achieve personal accolades. you come here because you know there's no better coaching staff in the country who will get you to become the very best player you can be. you come here because you WANT to work harder than you ever thought you could to be part of something great. you come because you want to be a great teammate and do whatever it takes to help your team win. you come because you want to win conference championships and National Championships.

We all know UCONN is not for everyone. Brianna Banks said it wonderfully when talking about effort at practice "I thought i went hard in high school, but my hard is nothing like their hard". Geno wants effort and excellence. but he won't ask the same from a bench player as he will from a starter. As Shea said, he knows just how much to push every player to get them to be the very best they can be.

i think Tony's point partly references Xylina's decision and how that has worked out. X would most likely

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
never have been a starter for UCONN - playing behind KML and Bree and Morgan for at least 3 years. X's decision to drop UCONN was mutual per John A. Some tried to make it sound like she wasn't sure after the super show and since she didn't make her decision on UCONN's time, she was dropped. i wasn't there, but that's not the reports we read, and not what happened. it relates to my point about why UCONN is not for everyone. i'm betting in conversations with Geno and Xylina that they both realized UCONN was probably not for her.

But his point does go back to the insane recruiting UCONN has done recently. we will have (most likely) 13 kids on the roster barring injuries or transfers. 6 of those kids are legit top 10 kids in their respective classes. UCONN will have many blowouts and lots of time for the bench to see PT, but unless you want to add more benchies, how many do you really need?

Geno has said he prefers a team of 12. if he ONLY gets 2 kids from 2013, that will give us a team of 12. if we had X, obviously we'd need only 1 to get to 12. obviously he'll go with 13 or 14 but we are loaded and stacked.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
man this 1180 characters thing sucks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I feel your pain Eric. I expect to be pegging all season long. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW I am already major league stoked(Dolson and BS perfect together) about next year, but this year is fine enuff for me.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno has said he prefers a team of 12. if he ONLY gets 2 kids from 2013, that will give us a team of 12. if we had X, obviously we'd need only 1 to get to 12. obviously he'll go with 13 or 14 but we are loaded and stacked.

OK .... I'll just pick two kids at random, totally at random....... how 'bout these two ?? :D

11_wu16_reimer_taya_rings_061411_300x275.jpg
0097F276E74D43CCBBD1E3AC23DD8266.ashx

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And if there's any chance we can get in on Mercedes Russell, late to the party as we are, you have to take her.

Some kids are not going to come to UConn because of the depth right now. That's fine. We have 13 very fine players on tap for 2012-13, are recruiting three top-5 kids to come in for 2013-14, plus Mavunga (when Caroline, Kelly, and Heather all leave), and for 2014 are currently looking at Sierra Calhoun (who sounds like a mortal lock to commit from her father's comments) and Brianna Turner (gonna be a dogfight, but she's a game-changer by all accounts). If UConn hits on more of those players than it misses on, the Huskies are set through the 2018 season. If Geno and CD miss, UConn is already set through 2015 or 2016.

If I'm Russell or Turner, I know Stef leaves after 2014 and there's a huge opportunity at the post. Both Reimer and DeShields are versatile enough to get in early and often in the rotation. In short, I think UConn depth is not going to scare the specific kinds of kids they're targeting right now for the 2013 and 2014 classes.

Reaction Score
man this 1180 characters thing sucks.
This really sucks. I already have had 2 posts that I kept having to eliminate words and sentences:mad: One I finally gave up on and eliminated it completely:eek: Re: recruiting talent! of course it will be used by other schools as stated above! Eric's response will be a piece of what is presented to those special kids we want and that want to really be a Huskie

Reaction Score
UGhhhhhhh this limit has screwed up 2 posts already:mad: Re; Recruiting comments above will be what other schools say,and kids see for themselves! Then of course there will be what Geno says and the special kids who want to be a Huskie;)

Reaction Score
I don't know what you are talking about. 2012 recruiting is done, so we're talking about 2013 (and beyond) now. When the 2013s are Frosh, here's the upperclassmen:

Sr: Hartley (G), Engeln (G), Michala (F), Stef (C)
Jr: Banks (G), KML (W), Stokes (F/C)
So: Moriah (G), Tuck (F), Stewart (C)

There's plenty of room for more good players, particularly PGs and Forwards.

Reaction Score
I don't know what you are talking about. 2012 recruiting is done, so we're talking about 2013 (and beyond) now. When the 2013s are Frosh, here's the upperclassmen:

We have already offered at least DD and Reimer,I would be ecstatic to have both.. No response has appeared
regarding CDs visit with Russell nor the particulars of the rest of her west coast trip. I like Tucker and Mavunga on Nans list. I also liked Harper and a cpl of the 2014 kids who played on the USA 16 team. They played along with Russell,Reimer,Harper,Tucker,Mavunga the 3 2014 kids and a cpl of kids not showing any interest at this time.
Calhoun has alot going for her to be a Huskie in 2014.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And if there's any chance we can get in on Mercedes Russell, late to the party as we are, you have to take her

If I'm Russell or Turner, I know Stef leaves after 2014 and there's a huge opportunity at the post. Both Reimer and DeShields are versatile enough to get in early and often in the rotation. In short, I think UConn depth is not going to scare the specific kinds of kids they're targeting right now for the 2013 and 2014 classes.
you are right of course, but while i said it would take 2 players to get to 12, i thought he'd take 3 or 4 and get to 13 or 14...

Reaction Score

Absolutely. And let's keep the 3/4 member recruiting class thing going for the next decade, huh? I hope Geno has finally committed to not letting his teams come into the Final Four huffing and puffing because they are undermanned and just plain tired. We have flirted with disaster more than once, and need to protect the Huskies' season from the unplanned emergencies which happen to nearly every team, like the flu, colds, banged up knees, hip pointers and worse.

Reaction Score
I guess the major question with future recruiting is, would a recruit that is good enough to start for just about any other team in the country want to be a bench player at UCONN? Every team has their share of injuries, so a bench player today could be a starter tomorrow. As we all know UCONN is not for everyone, and I don't think anyone would want a player on UCONN, no matter how talented, if they weren't 100% dedicated to the team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Absolutely. And let's keep the 3/4 member recruiting class thing going for the next decade, huh? I hope Geno has finally committed to not letting his teams come into the Final Four huffing and puffing because they are undermanned and just plain tired. We have flirted with disaster more than once, and need to protect the Huskies' season from the unplanned emergencies which happen to nearly every team, like the flu, colds, banged up knees, hip pointers and worse.
Geno committed to this? EDD, McCormick, Walker, etc....leaving, all his fault. Now he won't let things like this happen again.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of points I was trying to make and were brought out. X most likely didnt commit to UConn and I beleive she wanted to play for UConn but look whos ahead of her. Uconn is loaded with the very best of the best. Think about this. If your ranked say 15th in next years class you most likely wont start for UConn????? You can start for most other teams. On poster was right and nailed it we are pretty much looking at 2013. From next season forward for a couple of years we just may have the greatest assembleage of players ever in WCBB. But whats mindboggleing is Geno is already looking at 2013. When you look at our bench its most likely ranked number 2 in the country behind our starters. Yes we have alot of great players and they will all play because they are that good. But truly is there room for any more great players? We are in a nice place right now. For all the other teams they are in a good place to because they dont have to worry about UConn competeing for recruits. UConn has everybody they need for now.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I guess the major question with future recruiting is, would a recruit that is good enough to start for just about any other team in the country want to be a bench player at UCONN? Every team has their share of injuries, so a bench player today could be a starter tomorrow. As we all know UCONN is not for everyone, and I don't think anyone would want a player on UCONN, no matter how talented, if they weren't 100% dedicated to the team.

Well, I guess we might as well put up the championship banners for the next few years right now. If UConn is that good that top players in the country would start everywhere else, but not in Storrs, how can UConn lose?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, I guess we might as well put up the championship banners for the next few years right now. If UConn is that good that top players in the country would start everywhere else, but not in Storrs, how can UConn lose?
Well, actually, he said "recruit" and you are saying "player". Quite the difference, wouldn't you say?

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Well, actually, he said "recruit" and you are saying "player". Quite the difference, wouldn't you say?

I don't understand your point. Connboy was talking about whether top recruits would want to come to UConn to be a benchplayer in light of all the great players on the team who would start before the recruit.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
A couple of points I was trying to make and were brought out. X most likely didnt commit to UConn and I beleive she wanted to play for UConn but look whos ahead of her. Uconn is loaded with the very best of the best. Think about this. If your ranked say 15th in next years class you most likely wont start for UConn????? You can start for most other teams. On poster was right and nailed it we are pretty much looking at 2013. From next season forward for a couple of years we just may have the greatest assembleage of players ever in WCBB. But whats mindboggleing is Geno is already looking at 2013. When you look at our bench its most likely ranked number 2 in the country behind our starters. Yes we have alot of great players and they will all play because they are that good. But truly is there room for any more great players? We are in a nice place right now. For all the other teams they are in a good place to because they dont have to worry about UConn competeing for recruits. UConn has everybody they need for now.

All it takes is one or two injuries to key players and this whole equation changes. You can never have enough good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom