How Can Uconn Recruit Anymore Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How Can Uconn Recruit Anymore Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The issue of freshman minutes is true for every top program at certain positions every year and of course it affects the recruiting picture. Some recruits will be concerned about their minutes and the players ahead of them, but generally those are not players that Uconn has a lot of interest in. For the players that put playing time at the top of the list, they are going elsewhere - for those that care about team and team success ahead of personal goals Uconn points to the fact that they compete for NCs almost every year. I am not going to check carefully, but since around 2000, Uconn has been in the final four 9 times. No other team comes close. That is one string of 5 years and another of 4 years. You want great success for your team, come to Uconn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't understand your point. Connboy was talking about whether top recruits would want to come to UConn to be a benchplayer in light of all the great players on the team who would start before the recruit.
No problem. I'll explain.

Connboy said - "I guess the major question with future recruiting is, would a recruit that is good enough to start for just about any other team in the country want to be a bench player at UCONN?

Then you said - "Well, I guess we might as well put up the championship banners for the next few years right now. If UConn is that good that top players in the country would start everywhere else, but not in Storrs, how can UConn lose?"

I took your comment to be about all players, not just recruits as Connboy was saying. But in re-reading, I see what you meant. So,

thumbnail.aspx

Reaction Score
Regardless of what a recruit says publicly or to his or her respective coaches while being recruited, it is all about playing time. Period! To Coach Auriemma's credit, he does not make any promises of playing time. Then again, he is making these pitches to top recruits who have a reasonable expectation of garnering significant playing time at whatever program they choose. The UConn program is a lot like the civil service in that they are only recruiting the players who grade out at or near the top. They are not digging too far down the list to just fill roster spots.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
VAUConnFan - sorry but that is just not true. There are a whole bunch of other issues involved starting with coaching staff and location. Lots of people don't like Geno, lots of recruits don't want to leave home and others want to get far away. Some want a city location and some love cows. Some want a challenge or a winning environment even if they know that they will get limited minutes.
Recently at Uconn we had Gardler who was told if she came to Uconn she would never play, but if she went elsewhere she could start. And Heather knew she would play from day one at Holy Cross or she could sit behind Tina at Uconn. People kept saying Heather would transfer, but she loves her team however frustrated she has been personally. And last year we had a freshman that was getting big minutes and was intergral to the team and then quit.
It is not just about minutes.

Reaction Score
UcMiami - Everything you have said is true about the factors that go into program choices. There are a lot of other issues. Bottom line, it's about playing time. If an athlete expects to play, they will commit. If they come out of high school or junior college to be part of a winning program playing only during mopup time have different priorities, such as paying for their college education. But a top ballplayer is going where they project themselves playing significant minutes making a significant contribution.

However, let's throw out Meghan Gardler. She was coming to UConn since the day she was born. Heather Buck came to UConn fully expecting to play significant backup minutes during her first two years and then taking over the starting role. Because it has not worked out that way has prompted her to reevaluate her situation. She is, obviously, content with where she is. Maybe, just maybe, there is less pressure on her now that very little is expected of her. She will graduate with her nursing degree and move on. Not everyone accepts this, thus the many transfers within college sports.
Out freshman transfer last year was, in fact, playing significant minutes. Playing time was not the issue with her transfer. But playing time was almost surely an issue when she chose to commit. At a point in her recruitment, she was the top recruit in the country. Naturally, she would expect to play anywhere, even UConn. But, as you alluded, there were other issues at play.

Then, there's the issue of parents...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The bottom line is UConn is loaded for the next few seasons and with DD and Sierra leaning toward UConn there isnt alot of room A post player and a guard are what UConn needs for their future. Hey let me shoot straight, point blank. If you not ranked in the top 10 the next 2 seasons well...... Look at the roster

Tiffany SR
Caroline JR
Heather JR
Lauren JR
MJ JR
Bria Soph
Stef Soph
KML Frosh
Kiah Frosh
BB Frosh
Breanna Commit ranked 1
Tuck Commit ranked 5
Jefferson Commit ranked 2

Diamond 2013 F/W
Sierra 2014 F/W

The reason why some kids wont come to UConn is because...............

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
The bottom line is UConn is loaded for the next few seasons and with DD and Sierra leaning toward UConn there isnt alot of room A post player and a guard are what UConn needs for their future. Hey let me shoot straight, point blank. If you not ranked in the top 10 the next 2 seasons well...... Look at the roster

Tiffany SR
Caroline JR
Heather JR
Lauren JR
MJ JR
Bria Soph
Stef Soph
KML Frosh
Kiah Frosh
BB Frosh
Breanna Commit ranked 1
Tuck Commit ranked 5

Diamond 2013 F/W
Sierra 2014 F/W

To note a correction in your list: Lauren and MJ are sophomores, not juniors.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

Tiffany SR
Caroline JR
Heather JR
Kelly JR
Lauren Soph
MJ Soph
Bria Soph
Stef Soph
KML Frosh
Kiah Frosh
BB Frosh
Breanna Commit ranked 1
Tuck Commit ranked 5

Diamond 2013 F/W
Sierra 2014 F/W

I made a few corrections in bold if you dont mind.

Also, does anyone know if Heather intends to come back for a 5th year?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Thanks one to many glass of wine and bingo the electric just went on. We have heat and electric and hot water.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thanks one to many glass of wine and bingo the electric just went on. We have heat and electric and hot water.

Back to civilization ...! :) Hope it comes back on soon for everybody up there

Reaction Score
The bottom line is UConn is loaded for the next few seasons

I have no idea what you're basing this on. 2012-13 yes, but 2013-14? Right now that roster has 10 players. If Geno should happen to have a bust in recruiting (doubtful I know), I wouldnt call that team "loaded". Strong, yes, but not very deep.

The idea that UConn doesn't have room for good players is rubbish.

Reaction Score
you are right of course, but while i said it would take 2 players to get to 12, i thought he'd take 3 or 4 and get to 13 or 14...
I see us going to 13-14 if we do end up with DD and Reimer. That puts us at 12 and I do see us wanting a guard whether that is #9Tucker,#? Samuelson, or some other. That is 13 and as I have said before I have wondered what came of the CD visit at her school and the Ca evaluations. If it were a mutual fit,you take Russell;). Those circumstances have us at 14. With a class of #1,#3,#4, and #9 or other. This scenerio provides a mindboggling team for 2013-14 and beyond. It is incredibly difficult to have a team with this # of Top 10 players at one time.

Reaction Score
my answer to that is simple. and i'm sure it's similar to what Geno says (altho he says way more and better than i do for sure).

you don't come to UCONN if you expect to start from day 1 and to be a star or achieve personal accolades. you come here because you know there's no better coaching staff in the country who will get you to become the very best player you can be. you come here because you WANT to work harder than you ever thought you could to be part of something great. you come because you want to be a great teammate and do whatever it takes to help your team win. you come because you want to win conference championships and National Championships.

We all know UCONN is not for everyone. Brianna Banks said it wonderfully when talking about effort at practice "I thought i went hard in high school, but my hard is nothing like their hard". Geno wants effort and excellence. but he won't ask the same from a bench player as he will from a starter. As Shea said, he knows just how much to push every player to get them to be the very best they can be.

i think Tony's point partly references Xylina's decision and how that has worked out. X would most likely

I believe the idea you don't come to uconn to be a star is a little off base. Ask DT , Maya, or Tina. You aren't treated special because your a great player, because your one of many, but winning titles and becoming AA comes by being the best of the best on the best team. Players that stay away because they believe they won't get recognition are mistaken. If your are that good, say a Brianna Turner, you will be a national star at uconn, just don't expect Geno to do your laundry for you.

Reaction Score
I made a few corrections in bold if you dont mind.

Also, does anyone know if Heather intends to come back for a 5th year?
I have taken it for granted that Heather will be around in 2012. She will be a member of a team that will IMHO be favored for the National Championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom