How awesome is this picture?!! Team USA and UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How awesome is this picture?!! Team USA and UCONN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, I for one disagree, but you make some compelling arguments... So I guess what you are saying is that this is not about merit-based competition... sounds like you are advancing the current antithesis of egalitarianism and exclusion...
Am I? Please don't put words in my mouth. But hey, in that vein, sounds like you are advancing the current antithesis of common sense and summa summarum. :p

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think Gino had as much influence as popularity and marketing had. I believe women’s basketball is still looking to build its brand and Sue Bird and Diana are as high profile as you can get. I would bet owners and general managers of teams are happy that the UConn brand is well represented here. Within the states or globally it’s one of the most recognized women’s basketball brands there is. I believe this brings more interest to the sport and is another building block to women’s basketball globally. It is a shame that there are a few players that didn’t make the team and may have been more deserving but with less recognition may not have brought as much interest to the event. Even with the old ladies of the W the USA should still win the gold medal. And moving forward with the retirements of the W‘s senior women the younger generation stars will get their shots
You really don’t know the correct spelling of his name after all these years?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, I for one disagree, but you make some compelling arguments... So I guess what you are saying is that this is not about merit-based competition... sounds like you are advancing the current antithesis of egalitarianism and exclusion...
Actually I believe he said it IS about merit-based competition. You are just not looking at all of the merit.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Lou and Steph officially named to 3x3 team for olympics. The hits keep coming for volnation. Carnac, maybe it can get worse. LOL to them!!

Reaction Score
Vols stay angry. They are mad at UConn WCBB, Alabama CFB and Oklahoma WCSB. They hate winners. Some Vols even hate Patrick Mahomes. Such a disgruntled/delusional group.

Reaction Score
To be fair, even though I am a die-hard UConn fan and truly dislike ND, if we're basing merit on this year's review, Arike Ogunbowale is far more deserving than either Sue Bird or Diana Taurasi. True, their overall body of work in international play is quite compelling, but right now Ogunbowale's play is better. The same case could be made for others. Those who believe that Geno's influence seeped into the decision-making, can make a compelling case...
Arike is a ball hog, shooting too many bad shots, interfering with team play, making her the last player I would want on any team. I wonder if she will set WNBA record for most misses.

Reaction Score
It appears some ND fans are also not taking the team selections (for both 3x3 and 5x5) well also.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
In order for Arike to do Arike things, she needs to be able to put up a lot of shots, which she wouldn’t be able to do on this team. I can easily understand why she wasn’t included. Was she at the 3x3 tryouts/camps?

Nneka is still a head-scratcher.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Vols stay angry. They are mad at UConn WCBB, Alabama CFB and Oklahoma WCSB. They hate winners. Some Vols even hate Patrick Mahomes. Such a disgruntled/delusional group.
They have a lot to be angry about. What goes around, comes around. Even though Pat Summitt canceled the on-going series with us back in 2007, they still remain our most "bitter" rival because of the history between us that is unmatched by any other WCBB program. The rivalry with Notre Dame is real, but different. Irish fans hate us too...........with a passion! :mad: Both programs have taken a plunge out of the national limelight recently. Notre Dame's fall I believe is brief. The Irish finished 10-10 last year and did not make the NCAA Tournament field. Tennessee's swoon has lasted over a decade, but appears to be on the come. Head coach Kellie Harper appears to be on track in restoring the Lady Vol program back to national relevance and the top 10. In the final coaches poll for 2020-2021, Tennessee finished at #16, (17-8)

The news that ND head coach Muffet McGraw was stepping down was met with mixed reviews here in the yard. Their hate pales in comparison to the hate, disdain and vitriol that Volunteer fans have for us. Vol Nation has hated us much longer than ND fans have. :D Schadenfreude is the order of the day for fans of all three programs when either we lose, or they lose. Some UConn fans have "softened" their stance about Tennessee over the years. You can bet they were dancing in the streets in South Bend and Knoxville when UConn lost to Arizona in the final four.

New ND head coach Niele Ivey has had to start over from square one (either because of graduation or transfer) with new players the SHE recruited as head coach. I expect their return to prominence in the next year or two. while ND was not ranked, and was not listed in the top 42 per ESPN.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who cares what these has-been programs think?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom