How awesome is this picture?!! Team USA and UCONN | The Boneyard

How awesome is this picture?!! Team USA and UCONN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Could not be more thrilled for these 5 deserving ladies! So proud to have them represent UCONN, the WNBA, and Team USA!!!

1624376521190.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They don't need it. Their thread on the Olympic team is already four pages, most of it complaining about Geno, Diana, and Sue.
The picture might take it over the top. They blame Geno for everything from the right and left side Twix feud to the fall of the Roman Empire lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be fair, even though I am a die-hard UConn fan and truly dislike ND, if we're basing merit on this year's review, Arike Ogunbowale is far more deserving than either Sue Bird or Diana Taurasi. True, their overall body of work in international play is quite compelling, but right now Ogunbowale's play is better. The same case could be made for others. Those who believe that Geno's influence seeped into the decision-making, can make a compelling case...

Reaction Score
I don’t think Gino had as much influence as popularity and marketing had. I believe women’s basketball is still looking to build its brand and Sue Bird and Diana are as high profile as you can get. I would bet owners and general managers of teams are happy that the UConn brand is well represented here. Within the states or globally it’s one of the most recognized women’s basketball brands there is. I believe this brings more interest to the sport and is another building block to women’s basketball globally. It is a shame that there are a few players that didn’t make the team and may have been more deserving but with less recognition may not have brought as much interest to the event. Even with the old ladies of the W the USA should still win the gold medal. And moving forward with the retirements of the W‘s senior women the younger generation stars will get their shots

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Vol Nation (and Notre Dame fans) can’t hate us anymore than they already do. Our relationship with them can only improve, it can’t get any worse.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To be fair, even though I am a die-hard UConn fan and truly dislike ND, if we're basing merit on this year's review, Arike Ogunbowale is far more deserving than either Sue Bird or Diana Taurasi. True, their overall body of work in international play is quite compelling, but right now Ogunbowale's play is better. The same case could be made for others. Those who believe that Geno's influence seeped into the decision-making, can make a compelling case...
First of all, Olympic and World Championship teams are NEVER selected based on the top producers in the WNBA. In Arike's case, she's a ball dominant scoring PG. Regardless, different teams have different talent levels, players, etc., so there are instances where players are better at many things that don't show up on a stat sheet. Nika as a perfect example of that for folks who want a recent UCONN related example.

It's not the 12 best statistical players who make the team, it's the best players FOR the team. Leadership, character, team-play, etc. are all big parts of who makes the team. And how the players will fit in and mesh. The team trials, when they have them, are a great chance for the coaches to see how more ball dominant players can mesh within the team framework needed for team USA. Diggins-Smith is a great example of an uber talented player who has expanded her game beyond one on one to be much better in a team structure, and has now made the US National team.

Second, both Sue and Dee could have been half dead and they would have made the Olympic team. Fortunately, Sue especially is still at the top of her game, and both she and Dee will be starters. I don't know what a healthy Dee will look like when she comes back, so we will have to wait and see.

Third, EVEN if Sue and Dee were half dead, just like Catching making her last USA National Team, the amount of respect both have earned from teammates, competitors, coaches, committee members, etc. is beyond measure. The amount of experience and leadership they bring is astronomical. They will be off US National Teams when THEY decide to hang up their shorts, so to speak. They will never ever be left off a US National team if they still want in.

It blows my mind that anyone, especially UCONN fans, would think there was a universe where Sue and Dee would not be on the team. Or even worse, that they don't DESERVE to be there. I don't think it is much of an exaggeration to say that there are no 2 players EVER who have given more of themselves to USA Basketball.

Anyway obviously all just my $.02. I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me...

Reaction Score
Can someone pleeeeeeeeease post this on Volnation?

Thank you,

signed Mr Petty.
I'm not that cruel....even when it comes to the VolunTEARS. Might push them over the edge.

Reaction Score
Fortune 500 corporations aren't made up of all the highest test scorers. How can something even be PROBABLE...let alone compelling without actual PROOF? What did Geno do?

Reaction Score
Fortune 500 corporations aren't made up of all the highest test scorers. How can something even be PROBABLE...let alone compelling without actual PROOF? What did Geno do?
Ah, Influence can occur WITHOUT someone's actions or even willful intent, OK?

Reaction Score
First of all, Olympic and World Championship teams are NEVER selected based on the top producers in the WNBA. In Arike's case, she's a ball dominant scoring PG. Regardless, different teams have different talent levels, players, etc., so there are instances where players are better at many things that don't show up on a stat sheet. Nika as a perfect example of that for folks who want a recent UCONN related example.

It's not the 12 best statistical players who make the team, it's the best players FOR the team. Leadership, character, team-play, etc. are all big parts of who makes the team. And how the players will fit in and mesh. The team trials, when they have them, are a great chance for the coaches to see how more ball dominant players can mesh within the team framework needed for team USA. Diggins-Smith is a great example of an uber talented player who has expanded her game beyond one on one to be much better in a team structure, and has now made the US National team.

Second, both Sue and Dee could have been half dead and they would have made the Olympic team. Fortunately, Sue especially is still at the top of her game, and both she and Dee will be starters. I don't know what a healthy Dee will look like when she comes back, so we will have to wait and see.

Third, EVEN if Sue and Dee were half dead, just like Catching making her last USA National Team, the amount of respect both have earned from teammates, competitors, coaches, committee members, etc. is beyond measure. The amount of experience and leadership they bring is astronomical. They will be off US National Teams when THEY decide to hang up their shorts, so to speak. They will never ever be left off a US National team if they still want in.

It blows my mind that anyone, especially UCONN fans, would think there was a universe where Sue and Dee would not be on the team. Or even worse, that they don't DESERVE to be there. I don't think it is much of an exaggeration to say that there are no 2 players EVER who have given more of themselves to USA Basketball.

Anyway obviously all just my $.02. I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me...
Yes, I for one disagree, but you make some compelling arguments... So I guess what you are saying is that this is not about merit-based competition... sounds like you are advancing the current antithesis of egalitarianism and exclusion...

Reaction Score
Ah, Influence can occur WITHOUT someone's actions or even willful intent, OK?
Agreed. But when you say people have a COMPELLING argument....one should be a tad more responsible throwing around the accusations. Who argues anything without something concrete? Give me something. Recorded phone calls threatening the committee works. lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom