How about scheduling another game? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How about scheduling another game?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As I said earlier, beggars can’t be choosers. If Walz called up and said he could only play UConn this coming Thursday in Louisville, I would take it if I was Geno.

According to this article, Jeff and Geno are talking?

To that end, Walz has talked to UConn’s Geno Auriemma about adding a game should COVID-19 leave both schools with an open weekend date. He has joined a text group of coaches within a five or six-hour bus ride to facilitate communication in case someone needs a game on short notice.

Also interesting how a National Contending coach things about Program Shutdown

This a team of high purpose and tantalizing possibilities.

“Our players know if they wanted to opt out, it’s no hard feelings,” Walz said. “It’s their choice. But I have a lot of players who want to play after college. Some might play in the WNBA, some in Europe. Some might do both. Because their ultimate goal is the same, they are very self-motivated. I’m very fortunate.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
According to this article, Jeff and Geno are talking?

To that end, Walz has talked to UConn’s Geno Auriemma about adding a game should COVID-19 leave both schools with an open weekend date. He has joined a text group of coaches within a five or six-hour bus ride to facilitate communication in case someone needs a game on short notice.

Also interesting how a National Contending coach things about Program Shutdown

This a team of high purpose and tantalizing possibilities.

“Our players know if they wanted to opt out, it’s no hard feelings,” Walz said. “It’s their choice. But I have a lot of players who want to play after college. Some might play in the WNBA, some in Europe. Some might do both. Because their ultimate goal is the same, they are very self-motivated. I’m very fortunate.”
It’s good to know Jeff and Geno are talking, but it sounds like it’s confined to contingency planning right now, based on future events that may or may not happen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Louisville plays Jan 1, 3, and 7th. The Duke cancellation is this Thursday. He was going back to back. Walz would be jumping on the proverbial grenade for Geno if he snuck UConn in his schedule. Good for him!
Don't we ideally want the game early next week?
@LETTERL posting Jan 1 rescheduled game with NC cancelled due to travel issues on NC side. Maybe UConn sneaks in there??

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A little late to the party, but screw the Cuse! That smacktalking coach can drown in his misery (metaphorically speaking). He never did anything with that team outside of making it to the Final..in part from the divinity of Stewie who powered Cuse to be UConn's opponent to finish her college story! ;) Okay, the Earth may continue to rotate after I got that out

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
@LETTERL posting Jan 1 rescheduled game with NC cancelled due to trael issues on NC side. Maybe UConn sneakes in there??
That would be nice, although I suspect Jeff will attempt to shuffle in a conference opponent before calling Geno.

Reaction Score
Walz said tonight on his radio show it is a non-conference opponent and it should be announced tomorrow. He said it will not be at Yum Center and it “will be a good one”.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Walz said tonight on his radio show it is a non-conference opponent and it should be announced tomorrow. He said it will not be at Yum Center and it “will be a good one”.
Thanks for the update. If it’s the game we all hope it is, it will be fantastic matchup.

Reaction Score
Walz just did an interview with local media. Said the game is off. Said it was a T10 matchup. Our doctors were talking to other schools doctors working out logistics. I can’t be sure, because my feed cut out, but it sounded like it was a neutral site game and other school would not give permission for the long bus ride. Whatever the sticking point was, the game is off. Walz STILL trying to find another game we can play on either 12/31, 1/1 or 1/2.

Reaction Score
Walz just did an interview with local media. Said the game is off. Said it was a T10 matchup. Our doctors were talking to other schools doctors working out logistics. I can’t be sure, because my feed cut out, but it sounded like it was a neutral site game and other school would not give permission for the long bus ride. Whatever the sticking point was, the game is off. Walz STILL trying to find another game we can play on either 12/31, 1/1 or 1/2.
I just found the media link and listened again. The cancelled game with whomever the T10 team was, had nothing to do with a bus ride. I previously caught parts of two different questions and merged them ( mistakenly) into one storyline. The game is cancelled, the medical personnel for both teams could not work it out, following state guidelines around Covid. However, it had nothing to do with a bus ride. Sorry for any confusion. The interview is on the Louisville WBB Facebook page, if anyone wants to listen. I can’t seem to attach it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If it's at Gampel, who's going to televise it? I don't see Fox giving it away to ESPN, when it would be #2 vs #4. If it's at the Mohegan, then it might end up being ESPN. I hope it's at Gampel and it's not on ESPN.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If it's at Gampel, who's going to televise it? I don't see Fox giving it away to ESPN, when it would be #2 vs #4. If it's at the Mohegan, then it might end up being ESPN. I hope it's at Gampel and it's not on ESPN.
Just keep Antonelli away and I am golden

Reaction Score
The team doesn't need another game right before a big game like Baylor. We're down one player already (Aubrey), and two others are working their way back from injury (Nika and Edwards), while one starter is not having a good time lately (Anna). We don't need another tough game like Louisville squeezed in. Maybe if it was a light stress free game where the players could spend most of the time tuning up and working on specific parts of their game, but a game like Louisville that could result in more walking wounded? No thanks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The team doesn't need another game right before a big game like Baylor. We're down one player already (Aubrey), and two others are working their way back from injury (Nika and Edwards), while one starter is not having a good time lately (Anna). We don't need another tough game like Louisville squeezed in. Maybe if it was a light stress free game where the players could spend most of the time tuning up and working on specific parts of their game, but a game like Louisville that could result in more walking wounded? No thanks.
Win or lose, a game vs Louisville would be a definite plus for a young team like UConn. Nika & Aaliyah are fine. Aubrey is day to day, but likely fine as well. UConn’s players are currently on ice with nothing other than a daily practice routine for 9 straight days, unless another game is scheduled. At Louisville, they haven’t even played a game in 21 days.

UConn didn’t win 11 national championships by ducking top competition. The players and coaches will learn an enormous amount from back to back games vs Louisville & Baylor, and as a result will be far better prepared for a postseason run, assuming we get to a postseason.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As I said earlier, beggars can’t be choosers. If Walz called up and said he could only play UConn this coming Thursday in Louisville, I would take it if I was Geno.
This may have been mentioned already. I have not read all of the posts.

Louisville's game with Virginia scheduled for Sunday January 3 has been cancelled. THAT would be a win-win for both programs. Louisville hasn't played a game since Dec. 9, and UConn is looking for a game. [Link]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can't be in NY because of mandatory quarantine regulations
If that’s so, how is it that out of state teams are playing at St Johns & Syracuse, not to mention pro basketball teams playing in NYC & Brooklyn?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any update on this or are we at the point where we don't think another game between now and Baylor will be added?

Happy New Year everyone! Stay safe

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom