How about scheduling another game? | The Boneyard

How about scheduling another game?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With the schedule in a constant state of flux, I must admit that I’m not particularly fond of the 9-day gap between the Depaul game on 12/29 and the Baylor game on 1/7. I would really like to see UConn add a game to build towards the matchup with the Lady Bears in Waco on the 9th.

I know there aren’t a lot of coaches that are willing to add a matchup against UConn under any circumstances. In addition, I would not be a fan of adding another mismatch against a mid-major like UML. What I’m looking for is a solid matchup vs a top 25 team.

So here’s my best suggestion. Louisville just lost their scheduled game with Duke on 1/31. Of course the Cardinals were on the schedule before Covid lead to the cancellation of the game earlier in the season. Geno and Jeff are friends. Putting the matchup back on the schedule would fill a scheduling gap and be a great early season test for both programs.

Just sayin.......

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Wouldn't want to face Louisville and Baylor back to back. Save that for the NCAAT.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Louisville has games scheduled for the 3rd, 7th,10th, 14th and 17th. Might not want to jam us in on the 1st. At any rate I would be surprised if some conversation has not occured by the end of the day.

Reaction Score
Maybe sneak an easier opponent in there to conserve our back to back losses streak. Although I think we should be able to handle DePaul

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Or how about we let the players on the team be college kids during the holidays instead of treating them like semi-professional sports indentured servants just to satiate our basketball appetite?
Geno said this season is like no other. Because of the uncertainty of even the next game, you have to play when you get a chance. The kids, I would think, understand that. They are in lockdown mode anyway. May as well play if they can.

Reaction Score
This isn’t just about more games for fans - it is to make sure we have enough games to be ready for the tournament in case some other teams cancel on us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So we play Depaul on the 29th at TBD. Play the Blue Demons in the afternoon, and then simply replace Louisville’s Duke game on the 31st. While I would rather play another game on Jan 2-3, beggars can’t be choosers. The 31st was supposed to be a home game for Louisville, so I would offer to travel to Louisville if that’s what Jeff wanted.

While I certainly want the Huskies to win the game, it’s not as important as getting another early season game vs a top-5 program. Win or lose Geno will learn a lot about his team and be able to make adjustments going forward that should reap benefits if the season ever makes it to the Big Dance.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
So we play Depaul on the 29th at TBD. Play the Blue Demons in the afternoon, and then simply replace Louisville’s Duke game on the 31st. While I would rather play another game on Jan 2-3, beggars can’t be choosers. The 31st was supposed to be a home game for Louisville, so I would offer to travel to Louisville if that’s what Jeff wanted.

While I certainly want the Huskies to win the game, it’s not as important as getting another early season game vs a top-5 program. Win or lose Geno will learn a lot about his team and be able to make adjustments going forward that should reap benefits if the season ever makes it to the Big Dance.
The only reason, on the surface, not to travel to Louisville would be that Edwards and Muhl can’t go. Even then, Geno has never had a history of avoiding anyone, especially coaches he considers friends.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Duke has an opening.

Why don't we just hope we get to play the ones already scheduled. Seems that would be a feat in itself.

Meanwhile,

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The only reason, on the surface, not to travel to Louisville would be that Edwards and Muhl can’t go. Even then, Geno has never had a history of avoiding anyone, especially coaches he considers friends.
Everything I hear is that both Aaliyah & Nika should be good to go starting with practice today.

Reaction Score
Or how about we let the players on the team be college kids during the holidays instead of treating them like semi-professional sports indentured servants just to satiate our basketball appetite?
Really? I believe the team is remaining on campus and I seriously doubt they are interacting with many other people not associated with the basketball program at this time. They are competitors who love playing basketball and if given the choice of adding a game against a top opponent or to just hang out and practice I suspect it would be a unanimous vote to add a game,

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Well they are players as you mentioned and as such came to UCONN to playball in addition to enjoying the college experience. They can't go home the campus is empty, just what else do you think they would rather do. Receiving $50 -$80,000 a year scholarships hardly makes them indentured servants and sounds demeaning. Give them a voice let them vote I dare say it would be unanimous to play.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
With the schedule in a constant state of flux, I must admit that I’m not particularly fond of the 9-day gap between the Depaul game on 12/29 and the Baylor game on 1/7. I would really like to see UConn add a game to build towards the matchup with the Lady Bears in Waco on the 9th.

You don't think the players need a rest? You don't think Nika and Aaliyah need to heal and then have time to get into the flow through practice? You don't agree with Geno that it is important for them to improve their defense before playing Baylor? I don't believe squeezing in another game for the fans is really important for the team.

Reaction Score
Are Nika and Aaliyah still out? I thought Nika was good to go and that AE was day to day?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, I think if you ask them to vote on it getting another game in with win overwhelmingly. It’s not like they are back home hanging out with their friends, heck it’s not like they’re hanging out with other college kids on campus. I’m sure they enjoy each other’s company, but I’m also sure a game would be a welcome diversion from another practice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You don't think the players need a rest? You don't think Nika and Aaliyah need to heal and then have time to get into the flow through practice? You don't agree with Geno that it is important for them to improve their defense before playing Baylor? I don't believe squeezing in another game for the fans is really important for the team.
The players will have had plenty of rest and would relish an opportunity to play another game.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This isn’t just about more games for fans - it is to make sure we have enough games to be ready for the tournament in case some other teams cancel on us.

Correct. it’s about more games for the team. Remember, because of a COVID-19 quarantine the team experienced at the beginning of the season, that late start caused us to be 2-3 games behind everyone else.
DePaul has already played 7 games.

If Geno was to add another game (Louisville was scheduled to play @ Duke on Dec 31), it would help the team. Players want to play!! As another poster commented, they couldn’t go home for Christmas, and they’re cooped up in their dorm rooms and apartments. I’ll bet they would welcome a game anywhere just to get out of their rooms and preferably off campus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Syracuse on the 3rd or the 4th might be a good choice, Top 25 but not above #20.

They have a gap in their schedule from 12/31/2020 to 1/7/2021, and are losing a game in the second half of January....

Reaction Score
Possibly home & home if the Tennessee game is cancelled on the 21st of January... but would not be that week,,,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom