Houston Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Houston Postgame Thread

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the issues for freshman not named DT is figuring out which shots are 'good shots' and which are not. It adds a hesitation into their game that messes with accuracy. At some point they know, or just stop caring whether the coaches will yell at them for the shot, and magically it all gets smoother!

Reaction Score
I’m not trying to rush the termination of this year’s play, but I can’t wait for next year’s games. It will be very interesting to see how Geno incorporates the 6 new players coming in. Everyone will have to practice and play hard to scratch out some minutes.

Geno will have “options” he hasn’t had the last two years. Players won’t have to pace themselves to go 40 minutes. So every starter can “ball till they fall.” There will be adequate back up for them to give them a 2-3 minutes blow. Geno is losing 5, and getting 6 replacements. That’s a total of 11 players, more than enough to get us through the season doing 90 mph in the fast lane, and taking no prisoners along the way. :D
Should also help with practice. Better players bring better results from starters while helping develop the rest of team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Should also help with practice. Better players bring better results from starters while helping develop the rest of team.

Of the six incoming, I’m expecting Westbrook, Bueckers and Edwards to play immediately, and play well. Westbrook has 2 years of elite D1 experience, Edwards practiced and played meaningful minutes with the Canadian National Team. She’s already use to the speed and physicality of the game at this level.

Bueckers will be ready to play on move in day in May. It won’t take her long to adapt to Geno, and all things UConn. "There's a good argument that she's the best player in basketball regardless of gender. She's put four gold medals around her neck and a state championship ring on her finger. Her HS team hasn't lost in two years. It has been suggested that she is "the future of basketball." I don't think she'll have any trouble making that transition from HS to college. ;)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of the six incoming, I’m expecting Westbrook, Bueckers and Edwards to play immediately, and play well. Westbrook has 2 years of elite D1 experience, Edwards practiced and played meaningful minutes with the Canadian National Team. She’s already use to the speed and physicality of the game at this level. Bueckers will be ready to play on move in day in May. It won’t take her long to adapt to all things UConn.
I agree. I'm hoping that Mir and Nika won't be far behind. And Piath not too far back.

Westbrook is really good, though I recall that Azura took a while to adjust to UConn's style of play. So, I don't expect Evina to be a star in November, but I'm hoping she is by February.

Reaction Score
One of the issues for freshman not named DT is figuring out which shots are 'good shots' and which are not. It adds a hesitation into their game that messes with accuracy. At some point they know, or just stop caring whether the coaches will yell at them for the shot, and magically it all gets smoother!
I think you missed a "decent" freshman named Maya Moore who knew what was a good shot. She only led the team in scoring her freshman year, something even DT didn't do! ‍‍

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think you missed a "decent" freshman named Maya Moore who knew what was a good shot. She only led the team in scoring her freshman year, something even DT didn't do! ‍‍
Nor did Stewie lead the team in scoring as a freshman. The kid with the perfect ball release and 3 initials--KML--was our leading scorer her first 2 seasons.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree. I'm hoping that Mir and Nika won't be far behind. And Piath not too far back.

Westbrook is really good, though I recall that Azura took a while to adjust to UConn's style of play. So, I don't expect Evina to be a star in November, but I'm hoping she is by February.

I could be wrong, and if I am, I won’t mind some correction. But it was reported (and as I remember) that Stevens played on the scout team during her year of ineligibility. And when she became eligible, she was asked to play the 5 because that was where she being 6’6” was needed most.

She had to learn the system, and learn it at a new position. Remember, she never played the 5 at Duke. Elizabeth Williams was the starting 5 during Steven’s time there. She played a wing position her freshman and sophomore year.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't forget Maya, just think as you say she already knew which shots were good shots - DT has never known or cared! :cool: :eek::) And she still doesn't!

Reaction Score
I didn't forget Maya, just think as you say she already knew which shots were good shots - DT has never known or cared! :cool: :eek::) And she still doesn't!
Hey now don’t discount DT’s shot selection! Diana always took good shots when it came to her sarcasm and trash talking.:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom