Houston Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Houston Postgame Thread

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Towe had to flop..he was only 4 feet tall. and his best friend was David Thompson..still have not forgiven NC State for knocking of Walton's UCLA Bruins..
I won $400.00 on that win. I was stationed at Fort Bragg and the Squad Leader was from California and gave me 10 to 1 odds that UCLA would win. He wasn't to happy either.

Reaction Score
I won $400.00 on that win. I was stationed at Fort Bragg and the Squad Leader was from California and gave me 10 to 1 odds that UCLA would win. He wasn't to happy either.
Good for you .. good pick .. that was a huge upset!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Coaches must not be concerned about the tomahawk chop. I'm confident it would go away if she got to immediately sit on the sidelines for 90 seconds every time it happened. Bet she would loose it in about two games.

Nothing said. Just sitting on the end of the bench every time until it happens.

So I'm not worrying about it anymore because the coaches aren't.

One of UCLA's John Wooden's quotes was "The bench is an excellent teacher". I don't think you're right, I know you're right!! ;) I can't understand why the coaches haven't addressed that dynamic yet. It is very fixable. How many games THIS year did she have to go to the bench in the 1st quarter, or early in the 2nd quarter with foul trouble. One game she picked up 2 fouls in 4 minutes, and sat the rest of the half. However when she came back in the 2nd half, she only picked 1 more foul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was going to post that it seemed to me that she was getting mugged (again) every time we had the ball by both of the Cougars post players - with no calls. But I was going to wait until I watched the replay (but not post it), but you @southofnorth have basically confirmed it for me.
Yes unfortunately I saw the mugging all to clear with the refs saying doing nothing about it. There was an instance when I thought I Houston player actually took a swing at Olivia as she (Olivia) was going to the high post and trying to unwrap the defending Houston player's arm from her own. I get that smaller players tend to be more physical with bigger players, but there's got to be something done to protect the bigger player from getting bruised every time they're on the court.

Reaction Score
One of UCLA's John Wooden's quotes was "The bench is an excellent teacher". I don't think you're right, I know you're right!! ;) I can't understand why the coaches haven't addressed that dynamic yet. It is very fixable. How many games THIS year did she have to go to the bench in the 1st quarter, or early in the 2nd quarter with foul trouble. One game she picked up 2 fouls in 4 minutes, and sat the rest of the half. However when she came back in the 2nd half, she only picked 1 more foul.
Maybe (and sorry for speculating, but it's just my observation) they'd rather have ONO play with a couple of fouls and prove that she play without picking up another one? I remember in the video about the 2016-17 season Samuelson (then a sophomore) came to the bench after a foul in (I think) the Florida State game. She told Geno, "I have four fouls!" and Geno simply responded with something like, "That's your problem not mine." Fouling out and being forced to sit on the bench and watch regardless of how much you want to help your team on the court might be a good teacher, too. You still end up on the bench, but now you know there's nothing anyone can do to get you off of it until that game is over. Again, just my observation, but it could be a million other things like lack of depth or that she still gets a good amount of blocks from those swats.

Reaction Score
Like Geno, I like what I saw out there today. You know it's a good day when ALL of your starters score in double figures (see box score below). A piece of Anna's luggage got lost during her flight to America while changing planes. It had her jump shot in it. Luckily it was found after a couple of months and delivered to her by the airline. Thank goodness. We remember at the beginning of the year when she was "0 for America". Thank goodness that ship has sailed. :p

Think how good she's going to be the next 3 years. When she's in rhythm, she's unstoppable. She can knock down 3-4 shots in a row with ease. I expect Anna to have an "exceptional" tournament. :D Can't wait for the brackets to be revealed in 2 weeks. The NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship bracket will be revealed at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, March 16. ESPN will televise the announcement.

Games start with the first round on Friday, March 20 and Saturday, March 21. First and second round games will be played at campus sites. Regionals will be at Dallas, Texas; Fort Wayne, Ind.; Greenville, S.C. and Portland, Ore. This year's Women's Division 1 final four will be in New Orleans at the Smoothie King Center on Friday April 3, and Sunday April 5.

View attachment 51368
Have not seen replay yet, but this is one of the best box scores I have viewed in many years of following UConn. With few exceptions, all starters in double figures, great shooting percentage, with multiple rebounds, steals and assists. I understand this is against a poor team, but having all starters fully engaged in all aspects of game a great foundation for playoffs.

Reaction Score
I agree ONO will look good as a senior. I'm already on record suggesting that Olivia will make a huge "junior" leap such as the one Megan made this year. I predict she will round into form at or around the holiday break at the end of THIS year. Liv turns 20 this summer. She will be older, more experienced and will continue to benefit from weight room training over the summer. I look for Liv will be a "consistent" force in the middle for UConn next season.......on both ends of the court. Doubles doubles will be the standard for her if she can stay on the floor.

The top priority on her "to-do" list during the off season should be to eliminate the tomahawk chop blocking technique from her game. If she can do that, she'll play more minutes in them first half. One chop block foul and one ticky-tack foul call puts her on the bench. Olivia and the team would greatly benefit if she could learn to play WITHOUT fouling. Her potential will be determined by her ability to stay on the floor. The best ability in any sport is AVAILABILITY!!!
ONO's "swatting" would seem to warrant a typical Geno response to repeated non performance - benching, particularly in games we have a huge lead. In a sense, she is self inflicting this type of "motivation" since she has to sit due to fouls. Doesn't seem to be working. Seeing her stop this tendency and get in control would put more of a smile on my face than scoring in double digits against inferior competition.

Reaction Score
Here are the game highlights:

Just watched those highlights. The play of the game came when Anna batted the ball near the opposite basket to Liv who passed to Crystal who passed to Meg who passed to Crystal who passed to Meg for the basket. It just doesn’t get any better. It didn’t go down as a block so I guess it was an interception to start what was great teamwork.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maybe (and sorry for speculating, but it's just my observation) they'd rather have ONO play with a couple of fouls and prove that she play without picking up another one? I remember in the video about the 2016-17 season Samuelson (then a sophomore) came to the bench after a foul in (I think) the Florida State game. She told Geno, "I have four fouls!" and Geno simply responded with something like, "That's your problem not mine." Fouling out and being forced to sit on the bench and watch regardless of how much you want to help your team on the court might be a good teacher, too. You still end up on the bench, but now you know there's nothing anyone can do to get you off of it until that game is over. Again, just my observation, but it could be a million other things like lack of depth or that she still gets a good amount of blocks from those swats.

Yes, I vividly remember that game. Geno’s response was not what she was expecting. As I remember, she simply turned and walked away.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So Houston's Coach Hughey had a colorful reaction to the game:

"They’re Mike Tyson in his 20’s. They walk into the gym, and they already have you down 10 or 12 or 14 based on intimidation. You can’t flinch at the beginning. If you flinch at the beginning, it’s over. We flinched.”

Carnac

Reaction Score
ONO's "swatting" would seem to warrant a typical Geno response to repeated non performance - benching, particularly in games we have a huge lead. In a sense, she is self inflicting this type of "motivation" since she has to sit due to fouls. Doesn't seem to be working. Seeing her stop this tendency and get in control would put more of a smile on my face than scoring in double digits against inferior competition.

You and me both!!!:D

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m not trying to rush the termination of this year’s play, but I can’t wait for next year’s games. It will be very interesting to see how Geno incorporates the 6 new players coming in. Everyone will have to practice and play hard to scratch out some minutes.

Geno will have “options” he hasn’t had the last two years. Players won’t have to pace themselves to go 40 minutes. So every starter can “ball till they fall.” There will be adequate back up for them to give them a 2-3 minute blow.

Geno is losing 5, and getting 6 replacements. That’s a total of 11 players, more than enough to get us through the season doing 90 mph in the fast lane, and taking no prisoners along the way. :D

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If they can continue to shoot 55% to 60% from the field, around 40% from three and 80% from the charity stripe, the Huskies are going to cause a lot of headaches for their opponents moving forward into tournament time.
Shoot 45% or better, not 32%!

Reaction Score
Maybe @Jingo had the wrong freshman in mind. hey! :D
Hey .. Aubrey's foul-shooting was stellar yesttidday and she had a gr8 putback in a crowd w/o getting blocked, so I still predict superbness for her .. meanwhile, i m sooo happy for Ania and for UConn fans who get to see her weave her magic, eh?
Both AG & AM are far from typical hoopsters .. they are rare gems that we are extremely fortunate to have for this and the next three years!

Reaction Score
TEAM = TERRiFIC!
That’s two games in a row I’ve saved the games to my DVR to watch again and again. The smiles were infectious! Starting 5 all in double figures. To my eyes the passing was spot-on! The threes, wow!
Keep growing on this game and make it 3 in a row team terrific! BTW, our Frosh did not play like Frosh! Bravo to the whole team!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just watched those highlights. The play of the game came when Anna batted the ball near the opposite basket to Liv who passed to Crystal who passed to Meg who passed to Crystal who passed to Meg for the basket. It just doesn’t get any better. It didn’t go down as a block so I guess it was an interception to start what was great teamwork.
Looked at it again. Even better. Liv blocks, then Anna bats back to her and....makes only No. 2 on Top 5 plays but their No. 1 is pretty good, five passes, including two from Anna, before Kyla dishes. Really good minutes from Kyla.

Reaction Score
I’m not trying to rush the termination of this year’s play, but I can’t wait for next year’s games. It will be very interesting to see how Geno incorporates the 6 new players coming in. Everyone will have to practice and play hard to scratch out some minutes.

Geno will have “options” he hasn’t had the last two years. Players won’t have to pace themselves to go 40 minutes. So every starter can “ball till they fall.” There will be adequate back up for them to give them a 2-3 minutes blow. Geno is losing 5, and getting 6 replacements. That’s a total of 11 players, more than enough to get us through the season doing 90 mph in the fast lane, and taking no prisoners along the way. :D
Looking forward to Mir along with Aubrey adding 'disruptive defense' to the juggernaut!

Reaction Score
Recent games have shown Ania with creative drives to the hoop and several pull-up and step-back jumpers, moves that were absent in early season .. so then, why did it take Ania so long to showcase these moves??? .. Aubrey too has some hidden gems in her arsenal [I have seen them in person in high school] .. so another good question is, "What's taking Aubrey so looong???" I can't wait!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom