Houston Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Kyla in the last two games has looked a lot better getting rebounds and making some threes. She could give us some minutes in the tournament. Especially with Liv's, as everybody calls it playing swat defense. Aubrey has the strongest hands she wins so many 50/50 balls. Anna is actually looking like the best freshmen we have had in a long time. We as of now have three consistent 3 ball shooters going into the tournament. That should open the lanes for some cutting for layups. Liv's outside shot is coming along. When she is a senior look out. Even with all of the good things we have been doing, this team is capable of more. Great win Huskies

Reaction Score
I was at the game today and I have to say a couple things.

First, WOW! ONO looked SO much taller in person (even from the stands)! She played great despite every Houston player guarding her wrapping one her arms and raking her across the arms every time she had the ball. Huge improvement on her part to play tough.

Second, Aubrey and Christyn Williams have HOPS. Multiple times Christyn jumped and reached above ONO’s outstretched fingertips. Aubrey’s steps alone seemed enormous. Truly a joy to see such incredible athleticism displayed.

Finally, seeing the bench play and get minutes with the starters was great. I was hoping Batouly would play and was excited when she finally got in the game. Adebayo and Bent has some good plays and Kyla knocking down threes is always a highlight to me.

Overall this was a great game to watch. UConn’s defensive intensity in the first half seemed like the best I’ve seen this whole season. Active hands and feet and good help rotation.

Reaction Score
I generally liked what I saw for 3 quarters. The fourth quarter had the usual slowdown to give more players floor time. But 92 points is not bad. Caution: Houston is an inferior team and not the type of opposition that you will see in the second or third round or the NCAA tournament. UConn played UConn basketball. I observed, as I hope that you did as well, some really great passing, scoring on the inside, and some terrific 3 point plays. It appeared to me as well rounded basketball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Cannot agree CW did much to show she is out of her funk. The team needs more from her to get to the FF

Today. I think it's necessary to defend Chirstyn's contribution

The other day, I noted to a poster who had said that CW's strength was rebounding but in the game in question (in the middle of her funk) she had had zero that evening.

Yes, her distant shooting was off...but tonight, she had 7 defensive rebounds and 4 steals... played credible defense and made her foul shots; not bad.

I agree that the team requires even more from her, I think we'll get it

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Curious about a comment from Meghan - she said Kyla had a foot issue that seems finally to be better. Didn't remember anything about this - what did I miss?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Curious about a comment from Meghan - she said Kyla had a foot issue that seems finally to be better. Didn't remember anything about this - what did I miss?
It was mentioned in passing a few games back, either on SNY or maybe by Geno in his postgame comments. I hadn’t thought much about it until reading your post.

Reaction Score

kyla went from starting to zero/last person off the bench. Recently Meghan said she had been battling a foot injury. Looks like a healthy Kyla is the first off the bench

Reaction Score
The guy who made the [basketball] flop famous wuz Monte Towe [NC State] mid 70s, eh?
Fosbury was an Olympian who changed the technique of high jumping.
Towe had to flop..he was only 4 feet tall. and his best friend was David Thompson..still have not forgiven NC State for knocking of Walton's UCLA Bruins..

Reaction Score
Yes but is she ready for the world championships in Germany? ;)

Actually, I was probably thinking of the Scottish games in Estes Park, 20 miles from my mountain home, where tossing an enormous log is a highlight. Aubrey doesn’t look strong enough.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Question for board historians.

When was the last time the Huskies wore white in an actual road game. I can't remember a game in the last five years.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She played great despite every Houston player guarding her wrapping one her arms and raking her across the arms every time she had the ball.
I was going to post that it seemed to me that she was getting mugged (again) every time we had the ball by both of the Cougars post players - with no calls. But I was going to wait until I watched the replay (but not post it), but you @southofnorth have basically confirmed it for me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kyla in the last two games has looked a lot better getting rebounds and making some threes. She could give us some minutes in the tournament. Especially with Liv's, as everybody calls it playing swat defense. Aubrey has the strongest hands she wins so many 50/50 balls. Anna is actually looking like the best freshmen we have had in a long time. We as of now have three consistent 3 ball shooters going into the tournament. That should open the lanes for some cutting for layups. Liv's outside shot is coming along. When she is a senior look out. Even with all of the good things we have been doing, this team is capable of more. Great win Huskies

I agree ONO will look good as a senior. I'm already on record suggesting that Olivia will make a huge "junior" leap such as the one Megan made this year. I predict she will round into form at or around the holiday break at the end of THIS year. Liv turns 20 this summer. She will be older, more experienced and will continue to benefit from weight room training over the summer. I look for Liv to be a "consistent" force in the middle for UConn next season.......on both ends of the court. Doubles doubles will be the standard for her if she can stay on the floor.

The top priority on her "to-do" list during the off season should be to eliminate the tomahawk chop blocking technique from her game. If she can do that, she'll play more minutes in the first half. One chop block foul and one ticky-tack foul call puts her on the bench. Olivia and the team would greatly benefit if she could learn to play WITHOUT fouling. Her effectiveness and degree of over all contributions to the the team will be determined by her ability to stay on the floor. The best ability in any sport is AVAILABILITY!!! No player can help their team win sitting on the bench.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I agree ONO will look good as a senior. I'm already on record suggesting that Olivia will make a huge "junior" leap such as the one Megan made this year. I predict she will round into form at or around the holiday break at the end of THIS year. Liv turns 20 this summer. She will be older, more experienced and will continue to benefit from weight room training over the summer. I look for Liv will be a "consistent" force in the middle for UConn next season.......on both ends of the court. Doubles doubles will be the standard for her if she can stay on the floor.

The top priority on her "to-do" list during the off season should be to eliminate the tomahawk chop blocking technique from her game. If she can do that, she'll play more minutes in the first half. One chop block foul and one ticky-tack foul call puts her on the bench. Olivia and the team would greatly benefit if she could learn to play WITHOUT fouling. Her potential will be determined by her ability to stay on the floor. The best ability in any sport is AVAILABILITY!!!
If her foul shooting doesn't improve, I fear opponents will employ a "hack a Liv" strategy. 51% isn't going to cut it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If her foul shooting doesn't improve, I fear opponents will employ a "hack a Liv" strategy. 51% isn't going to cut it.

Agreed!!!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Coaches must not be concerned about the tomahawk chop. I'm confident it would go away if she got to immediately sit on the sidelines for 90 seconds every time it happened. Bet she would loose it in about two games.

Nothing said. Just sitting on the end of the bench every time until it happens.

So I'm not worrying about it anymore because the coaches aren't.

Reaction Score
Coaches must not be concerned about the tomahawk chop. I'm confident it would go away if she got to immediately sit on the sidelines for 90 seconds every time it happened. Bet she would loose it in about two games.

Nothing said. Just sitting on the end of the bench every time until it happens.

So I'm not worrying about it anymore because the coaches aren't.
Exactly. I was just going to post the same thing. Right after her third foul she had another situation and went straight up with her right arm and avoided the foul because she knows better. They just have to demand it if they want to stop it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Towe had to flop..he was only 4 feet tall. and his best friend was David Thompson..still have not forgiven NC State for knocking of Walton's UCLA Bruins..
It made me HAPPY.

Reaction Score
It was mentioned in passing a few games back, either on SNY or maybe by Geno in his postgame comments. I hadn’t thought much about it until reading your post.
Geno mentioned it.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed seeing Christyn smile tonight. She seemed more relaxed.

The offense was really a pleasure to watch, even when the play didn't result in a basket: Crystal's behind the back pass and Anna missed the layup. Crystal gave her quite a stare afterwards.

Olivia can really catch the ball! She has come a long way.

I thought many of the plays by the bench were almost there. I had gotten used to the bench players throwing the ball around to no apparent end and this has very much changed lately. Just a little more practice together might get them there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom