Houston post game | The Boneyard

Houston post game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:

- I loved Touly’s minutes today
- Great senior day for Pheesa. Sad that Lou couldn’t go out on a high note, but relieved that it’s only a back spasm.
- I couldn’t make up my mind whether Houston is a team on the rise in the AAC, or just another UCF clone that adopted the “hack a Husky” defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:

- Great senior day for Pheesa. Sad that Lou couldn’t go out on a high note, but relieved that it’s only a back spasm.
- I couldn’t make up my mind whether Houston is a team on the rise in the AAC, or just another UCF clone that adopted the “hack a Husky” defense.

Geno acknowledged that Touly gave us great minutes and Liv good defense in spite of the fouls.

Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:

I think they are the latter; we sat behind the Husky basket in the second half and saw all of the fouling Houston was committing that didn’t get called. ONO got clobbered when shooting and no whistle.

Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:

Houston can shoot much better than UCF. The hack a Husky thing is what it is.

Reaction Score
Were back spasms the official word? They didn’t say anything at the game and reception was spotty.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Were back spasms the official word? They didn’t say anything at the game and reception was spotty.
Yes, that's the only diagnosis that was given during the game. No mention of what that may mean for Monday's game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Houston chucked up 35 3 pointers. More than 50% of their shots. Moreover, they made 2 of them in the last 90 seconds. I hate the "hack a husky" strategy. I'm surprised Geno doesn't work the refs harder for the overly physical play. Houston was called for 21 fouls (to UCONN's 17) but probably committed 50.

I did think Touly gave some really solid minutes in spite of it not really showing up on the box score. She brings some solid physicality and physical push back - that aside from Crystal, this team sorely lacks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s a statistic to note. UConn was -6 rebounding in the 1st half. In the 2nd half, with Pheesa only getting 2 rebounds, UConn was +10. Great team effort on the boards. Megan, Christyn, Touly & Liv all worked hard and came up big on the boards. Even Crystal went up in a crowd and came down with an offensive board.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Something that confuses me is "normally" during the course of the season, most players get better and it shows BUT I can't say the same about the officiating as this game seemed to have very inconsistent calls throughout the game and possibly for both teams. A few of the incidents were pointed out by Meg but there seemed to be a lot more that she didn't point out.
Maybe it's because that they don't always work together or maybe that has no effect on it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Something that confuses me is "normally" during the course of the season, most players get better and it shows BUT I can't say the same about the officiating as this game seemed to have very inconsistent calls throughout the game and possibly for both teams. A few of the incidents were pointed out by Meg but there seemed to be a lot more that she didn't point out.
Maybe it's because that they don't always work together or maybe that has no effect on it.
Unlike the pros, college refs are part timers. It’s not like they work hard at being referees. They work hard at being teachers, accountants, salesmen or whatever, and pick up a few bucks reffing a game every now and then.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Phee was phenomenal, as usual.

I feel for Lou--missing the NC game as a freshman and missing half of Senior Day.

Danger was aggressive for the most part. She's really good!

I thought Christyn played more aggressively today.

Meg rebounded well but should have taken more shots.

Both Liv and Touly contributed. That was a lot of minutes for Touly.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I did think Touly gave some really solid minutes in spite of it not really showing up on the box score. She brings some solid physicality and physical push back - that aside from Crystal, this team sorely lacks.
My fear now is that the refs are going to be "looking" at Touly when she enters the game. For some reason it has always appeared to me that when a "big" reserve player enters the game that certain refs call the game differently, calling fouls that were overlooked before or just calling ticky tack fouls. I felt this way when we had Natalie and then with Azura and this season with Olivia.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Unlike the pros, college refs are part timers. It’s not like they work hard at being referees. They work hard at being teachers, accountants, salesmen or whatever, and pick up a few bucks reffing a game every now and then.

NBA, NHL & MLB have full time officials, but the NFL refs are just like college. They only work the days of the games and have regular jobs otherwise.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This really isn't true. You don't advance to the D-I officiating level without putting in a TON of work as an official. And most of the officials in the elite conferences are working 5-6 games per week. That's more than just "now and then."

I realize fans perpetually complain about officiating, but it's not a case of them not working hard enough.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

AAC refs are shared with the SEC. They cover both leagues through a cooperative arrangement. They seem to think basketball should be every bit the contact sport that football is.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Here’s a statistic to note. UConn was -6 rebounding in the 1st half. In the 2nd half, with Pheesa only getting 2 rebounds, UConn was +10. Great team effort on the boards. Megan, Christyn, Touly & Liv all worked hard and came up big on the boards. Even Crystal went up in a crowd and came down with an offensive board.

According to the stats, from the live stats log, Houston had rebounds per quarter of 11-12-10-1
Did they have a bus to catch? or did they meet their quota for the game and pack it up?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
According to the stats, from the live stats log, Houston had rebounds per quarter of 11-12-10-1
Did they have a bus to catch? or did they meet their quota for the game and pack it up?
Fatigue?

Reaction Score
My fear now is that the refs are going to be "looking" at Touly when she enters the game. For some reason it has always appeared to me that when a "big" reserve player enters the game that certain refs call the game differently, calling fouls that were overlooked before or just calling ticky tack fouls. I felt this way when we had Natalie and then with Azura and this season with Olivia.

The refs should be "looking" at the starting five of UCF, Houston and others and not Touly when she comes in. All the refs have to do is call the game same way throughout the entire game and not pick and choose where the whistle comes out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom