Houston Nutt | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Houston Nutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Take that board and those posters with a grain of salt. It'd be like listening to UConn fans' opinions on PP. They hate Nutt because they think they should have been playing for NCs. He won a lot of games and ran to top tier programs for over a decade.

Again, I am not necessarily saying Nutt is the right guy or even that he is a great coach, just trying to keep things objective.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Take that board and those posters with a grain of salt. It'd be like listening to UConn fans' opinions on PP. They hate Nutt because they think they should have been playing for NCs. He won a lot of games and ran to top tier programs for over a decade.

Again, I am not necessarily saying Nutt is the right guy or even that he is a great coach, just trying to keep things objective.
That board was GREAT reading. Haha

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
That board was GREAT reading. Haha

That's the best college sports message board around (Shaggy Bevo being a close second).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Are you making the Tommy Bowden comparison again? Bowden hasn't gotten a sniff in 5 years from anyone, and the ACC from 2005-08 was an awful conference. He had superior talent and was mediocre with it.

No, you #$%!^##%@5 :)

I'm saying that he's done well at a STATE FLAGSHIP in a LOW QUALITY RECRUITING AREA.

Mcfly?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Of course some salt is required. What I actually find interesting is that except for one poster, they didn't disparage UConn or look down on us. They seemed to respect us, which was pleasantly surprising.

Reaction Score
Of course some salt is required. What I actually find interesting is that except for one poster, they didn't disparage UConn or look down on us. They seemed to respect us, which was pleasantly surprising.

At this point they probably just feel sorry for us.

Reaction Score
We need both cart and horse. Additionally, the new guy needs to be someone that can sell the Program in CT and nationally. That, first and foremost, requires winning eight, nine, ten plus games a year. But it also requires someone who can feed believable BS that makes the media beast write and say positive stuff. There are good coaches that have the charisma and personality to convince recruits, fans and media that UCONN will/is happening. A socially awkward, humorless grinder type will not work in this environment. Enough people have been turned away. We need a renaissance coach.

Reaction Score
Mangini comes across as a humorless, tightly-wound, less than media savvy, dolt; a Marketeer's nightmare. If the "NY Times" is writing that a 1A FB Coach has become both the face of, and most important person on a college campus, it would seem that SH/WM are facing UCONN's most important personnel decision ever. "Likable," "personable" are key words in the present media environment. Good coaches can both win and sell the Program. Given where we are starting from, and where we want to be, there can be no mistakes.

Reaction Score
We need both cart and horse. Additionally, the new guy needs to be someone that can sell the Program in CT and nationally. That, first and foremost, requires winning eight, nine, ten plus games a year. But it also requires someone who can feed believable BS that makes the media beast write and say positive stuff. There are good coaches that have the charisma and personality to convince recruits, fans and media that UCONN will/is happening. A socially awkward, humorless grinder type will not work in this environment. Enough people have been turned away. We need a renaissance coach.

Like your points Fairtides, If indeed he is interested in taking over a program that could end up at 2&10, possible 0&12, with his experience, background, connections and tie-ins, knowing the entire makeover needed, a flamboyant marketing (to media, players, alumni and fans) coach and "winner" to help the program rebuild would be a good thing. I take some of the comments in the SEC RANT blog with a grain of salt but there were some great points. You don't coach successfully in the SEC and land teams in the top 10 by sheer luck. No stone unturned...the search has good to be exhausting. This is one alum that was glad to see the coaching change early so that the rebuild process could start now, not in a 5 week period after seasons end.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk don't be surprised. My buds down south, big time SEC followers know the ESPN bulls**t and that the program(s) and school is not too be taken lightly. To terminate a coach 4 games in alerted everyone that losing is not an option. They know the school is a winner on the national level. As they have said to me, our sports programs as a whole are more successful than most. They know it is only a matter of time.... and the time is now. ...and they know who has beaten ND in South Bend and South Carolina in a bowl game. They respect every program that is trying to improve itself because their schools might be playing that school in a bowl game or out of conference game. If you love college football and college athletics, they love you...up until game time.

Reaction Score
There have been rumors, and they are actually more than just rumors, that UCONN and the B10 have been talking recently behind the scenes. Now you have to figure that Lembo knows that, and is indeed considering UCONN.

Is it just me or have our schedules across all sports begun to tilt slightly in that direction?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I know what the intent was, but I was arguing that you need to discredit what Orgeron did at Ole Miss because he is a big time cheater. I thought the implication was, "Nutt can't recruit, Orgeron and Hugh Freeze are recruiting well at Ole Miss, but Nutt didn't".

Curious why you say he is a big time cheater? Nutt just didn't connect with coaches in Mississippi which is a must in any of the state schools. It is different from CT because there is a lot of big time players in Miss, unlike CT.
Nutt doesn't like recruiting which is a must to be successful at UCONN or 90% of the other football programs in the country.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

How are you being objective, seriously. He did nothing at Ole Miss except win with someone else players and then he just lost and lost some more. He is not the coach UCONN should move forward with imho.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This gif

houston-nutt-lol-laugh-o_medium.gif

Makes me think of this guy:

Houston's Cajun cousin?

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
How are you being objective, seriously. He did nothing at Ole Miss except win with someone else players and then he just lost and lost some more. He is not the coach UCONN should move forward with imho.

I agree with that. I am being objective because I am looking at his coaching record objectively, rather than subjectively saying "he won with another guy's recruits". Is Hugh Freeze now just winning with Houston Nutt's recruits?

Houston Nutt's issue is consistency. He has always been a coach that has 2 bad seasons building up to a really good one or two. He won 9 or more games at Arkansas 5 times and won 9 games at Ole Miss twice.

Reaction Score
Mangini comes across as a humorless, tightly-wound, less than media savvy, dolt; a Marketeer's nightmare. If the "NY Times" is writing that a 1A FB Coach has become both the face of, and most important person on a college campus, it would seem that SH/WM are facing UCONN's most important personnel decision ever. "Likable," "personable" are key words in the present media environment. Good coaches can both win and sell the Program. Given where we are starting from, and where we want to be, there can be no mistakes.

Hiring a used car salesman is a mistake. I'm not buying this "needs to sell the program to the media" garbage, winning is the only thing that sells. How is Schiano doing selling Tampa Bay? Mangini would be the biggest "splash hire" we can get, he would generate a ton of attention, but you want a guy with humor, good luck with that. When has humor ever won on the sidelines? and Mangini has been part of the media for the past two years and he garnered good reviews for his insightful commentary.

Reaction Score
This is a good write-up on Houston Nutt.

In his 13 seasons in the conference, Nutt has piled up 53 SEC victories, which ranks 14th in league history and third among current league coaches. With a 97-64 overall mark as an SEC coach, Nutt ranks 18th all-time in the league in coaching victories and behind only Steve Spurrier among active coaches.

In his first season in Oxford, Nutt led one of the greatest turnarounds in school history, reviving a Rebel squad that was coming off four straight losing seasons and a 3-8 campaign with no conference wins in 2007. With a 9-4 record (5-3 in the SEC), it marked the team's best improvement from one season to the next since legendary Ole Miss Coach John Vaught's debut in 1947.

Projected to place fifth in the SEC Western Division in the preseason, Nutt's first Rebel unit finished second in the West, ended the season on a six-game win streak and earned a No. 14 final national ranking.

Nutt's efforts earned him SEC Coach of the Year honors (SEC Coaches and The Touchdown Club of Atlanta) for the third time in his decorated career and AFCA Region Coach of the Year accolades for the fifth time.

Rising as high as No. 4 in the national rankings in 2009, Nutt's Rebels knocked off No. 8 LSU, Tennessee and Arkansas en route to a second straight berth in the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic, in which Ole Miss prevailed over No. 18 Oklahoma State 21-7. The Rebels finished 20th in the AP poll.

Nutt was bestowed with one of his greatest honors in 2009, as the Fellowship of Christian Athletes named him the 2009 FCA Grant Teaff Coach of the Year Award recipient. The award recognizes a football coach who exemplifies Christian principles and who is involved in FCA. The award is also based on the success/performance of the coach's team that year.

With his team decimated by injuries and departures, Nutt saw his streak of four straight seasons of eight or more wins and a January bowl berth come to an end in 2010 with a 4-8 record.

Despite the disappointment, Nutt took optimism away from last season, as 42 underclassmen gained valuable experience, including 18 freshmen. With seven underclassmen earning starts on the offensive line, Ole Miss topped the SEC in fewest sacks allowed and ranked third in rushing offense.

In his three seasons in Oxford, Nutt has continued his reputation as a giant killer, as his Rebels have registered five wins over ranked teams and three against top-10 teams, including a 25-23 victory over eighth-ranked LSU in 2009.

The 2008 Ole Miss squad knocked off three top-20 foes away from Oxford, including the defending national champion in No. 18 LSU and the eventual title holder in No. 4 Florida. The third win was a resounding 47-34 defeat of No. 8 Texas Tech in the 2009 Cotton Bowl.

The upset over the Gators - their lone blemish of the season - provided Nutt his fifth win against a top-five opponent as a head coach. In all five wins, Nutt's team entered the game unranked, and four of the wins came on the road.

In addition to the above, you can't achieve this kind of success and winning without receruiting and laying a foundation all over SEC LAND that can be tapped.

LETS TALK ABOUT TIMING:
All current coaches being considered would have to wait until some point after the end of their seasons/and or bowl games etc.
Nutt could start within the next 3 to 4 weeks if given the go ahead. so instead of losing a season to recruiting, he could be out almost with in the get go.....that is huge in the process and not lose
valuable time in the recruiting season. HE could also see actual talent performing up in the press box etc that he will be working with...TALK ABOUT MOTIVATING and getting next year's players to realize their spring/summer practice starts NOW!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm opposed to hiring Houston Nutt. UConn needs a younger up and coming coach that can be the face of the program, recruit well, and energize the fan base. Specifically, the new coach needs to be able to teach and develop players as many players UConn will recruit will not be fully developed football players. It seems many of UConn's best players were under-recruited and developed at UConn.

People have thrown out a number of names that I think could work for UConn. Hopefully, Warde has a better understanding of all of the candidates than the Boneyard does.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
There have been rumors, and they are actually more than just rumors, that UCONN and the B10 have been talking recently behind the scenes. Now you have to figure that Lembo knows that, and is indeed considering UCONN.
So... what are these "more than just rumors" you speak of? You can speak in code; I have my little orphan Annie decoder ring handy.

Reaction Score
Mmm

Sadly, I do think those two teams are as talented as this year's Huskies. Not more talented, but as. I think wi th a very good coach, this group would still be at 2, maybe 3 wins right now.

Same message as last year.....no talent. Was wrong then and wrong now, but to a lesser degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom