Houston Nutt | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Houston Nutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't count us out yet. Most of these guys are probably assuming we won't pay P5 money. If we do, they may see it as a nice opportunity.

A guy like Lembo is almost certain to be successful at UConn based on his previous stops. If we are willing to pay him, he may see the benefits of our facilities, brand and location.

A very strong UConn program will get a lot of coverage from major media and he'd be a fixture roaming the halls at ESPN. A great coach with a good personality will have a field day at UConn with our proximity to ESPN and NYC. We need someone that knows how to leverage it.

Reaction Score
Eli played for Duke head coach David Cutcliff at Ole Miss (Cutcliff was OC at Tennessee when Peyton played there)
Michael Oher was recruited and played for current USC interim head coach Ed Orgeron and Nutt at Ole Miss

Just watch the Blind Side... that movie will educated you on every SEC coach during Oher's time... I think Nutt plays the coach at Arkansas if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction Score
Just watch the Blind Side... that movie will educated you on every SEC coach during Oher's time... I think Nutt plays the coach at Arkansas if I'm not mistaken.
I've seen it...Saban was at LSU during that time. Shula was at Alabama..

Reaction Score
A couple of things here:

1 - My mom (who has since passed) was diagnosed in the late 1990's with the same form of cancer that took Sam Walton's life. Due to money invested by Walton, the best place in the world for treatment was in Arkansas. When I was there (visiting my mother at the medical center) in January 1999 Nutt could have asked to be king and would have been handed the job. while there have been many coaches loved by his (or her) fan base over the years, I doubt that there was ever a coach who was more loved over a brief period of time than Nutt was back then. That honeymoon ended but the idea that someone like Houston Nutt would consider the UConn job has to dispel many of the rumors that most quality coaches would never consider us.

2 - If we are going to succeed as a major football program we will need 50% of our roster from the following block of states: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland and Virginia. We will need nother 20%-25% from Florida and the rest can be filled out with New York, New England and whatever other states we can land a stray recruit or two from. I personally believe that it is very possible for a school to win an FBS national title without have one player on its roster who is from New England. I doubt that a school can compete in any FBS conference if there is a large portion (more than ~ 25%) of its roster from New England.

not disagreeing. but ct has produced some decent players. if uconn can consistently become a top choice for local talent that can only help add depth.
I'm not saying the answer is to depend on CT talent, but you can't come in and ignore the local talent either. over time, it becomes a symbiotic relationship.

Reaction Score
Is there a rapper named Busta Nutt yet? If not, there should be.

Reaction Score
What's Good?

Thanks for your opinion Dez but you're wrong. Edsall didn't suddenly stop recruiting his last three years here, its the coaching that went into the tank (except for Don Brown) after he left. (all of the Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores on this team are still Edsall guys)

By the way, this line was in a recent story

In fact, Weist regularly steps up and admits his mistakes. He didn't walk into the rosiest of situations and had a quite a challenge after Pasqualoni's departure.
And like Pasqualoni, Weist is not super-equipped with the pieces or the depth the Huskies need to turn things around.

Cupboard bare Cupboard bare Cupboard bare Cupboard bare P didn't suck, RE didn't leave anything for him.

We're never gonna hear the end of it. And when the new coach turns things around, it's gonna be with P's recruits.

Reaction Score
I will flat out say that we are 0-7 in large part because of untalented players. Can you really tell me you think the current UConn roster has the talent to win 6 FBS games regardless of the coach? I dont see Iit. This is one of the least talented teams we've had in the FBS era. Just terrible on both lines.

Insert "coaching matters" rant here . . .

Reaction Score
I'm gonna have you pump the brakes there. Orgeron recruited well at Ole Miss because he was dirty as hell. Hugh Freeze is now recruiting well at Ole Miss because he is dirty as hell. Nutt has a pretty good reputation for running a pretty clean program. Because of that, he did not succeed at Ole Miss.

There's a reason Ed Orgeron has made his entire career at The U (Miami), Tennessee, and USC. 3 od the dirtiest programs around. Yeah, he's a good "recruiter".

What are you putting the brakes on? He's not pumping Orgeron for the position, only pointing out that he got good players at Ole Miss, and Nutt won with those players before fading quickly. Everything he said is 100% correct.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My brother has season tickets to Ole Miss and has told me many times how bad he left Ole Miss and broke ties with a number of high schools in Mississippi and lost every major recruiting fight with Dan Mullen at Miss St during his time. When he left Ole Miss was as bad as any team in the BCS conferences.

I don't want him anywhere near the program and think UCONN can do better, period.
I would rather have Dan Mullen who is on the hot seat at Miss St. He comes from New Hampshire and knows New England and surrounding states. He is a Urban Meyer protege

Reaction Score
RE was not a top notch recruiter. For a good long time many of his recruits had no other offers (not even from 1-aa, div. II.....nobody) and he referred to them as "diamonds in the rough" "under the radar".
Now I'm not criticizing the recruits.........everybody, coaches, players, people who work in a wide variety of professions, all have some type of ceiling based on natural abilities, talents, .....we all try and work hard but few of us have the capacity to make it to the NFL or as a president of a fortune 500 company.
Maybe that is why RE so eagerly left for Maryland. His last two teams were not "home run" hitters, and you will remember that some boneyarders were calling for RE's head in 2010. He saw and understood what the "tea leaves" showed.......and got out as quick as he could. I don't by that "dream job" hoopla!
We are where we are because we've hit the ceiling in available talent on the team......whether it be the players and/or coaches, or a combination of both.
That's not to say anyone "gives up".......what they may lask in talent compare to other teams they display in effort and character. There may not be many future NFL'ers, but it would not surprise me if quite a few exceled in their chosen profession after graduation.
The best that is going to happen for most of the players is they get a good education at a pretty good school. And for that I am thankful and very happy.

Reaction Score
Lembo, most likely isn't coming to Uconn as he made it strongly apparent that he's produced a strong enough resume to coach in the BiG.
There have been rumors, and they are actually more than just rumors, that UCONN and the B10 have been talking recently behind the scenes. Now you have to figure that Lembo knows that, and is indeed considering UCONN.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What are you putting the brakes on? He's not pumping Orgeron for the position, only pointing out that he got good players at Ole Miss, and Nutt won with those players before fading quickly. Everything he said is 100% correct.

Yeah...what he said.

I was going to respond but just let it go. You are correct on what my intent was.

Reaction Score
There have been rumors, and they are actually more than just rumors, that UCONN and the B10 have been talking recently behind the scenes. Now you have to figure that Lembo knows that, and is indeed considering UCONN.

Um,,, Okay. Stop yanking our chain man.

Reaction Score

If Lembo is indeed a candidate one team (already in the B1G) that we'd probably need to be leary of is Minnesota

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm warming up to the idea of Houston Nutt as coach. I would be all for Petrino too, except that I would be worried about the student-athletes.

I think that Warde will eventually go for a more well-known coach, despite the fact that many on the board want the young up-and-comer. If I'm right about Warde's intentions, I can't say that I disagree. Part of getting our name back out there and being treated seriously again is by hiring a guy that many view as being a respected football hire. I think Nutt fits the bill on that. The fact that he seems to be showing interest in CT football circles is also a plus.

If we can create a situation for ourselves like Cincy has with Tuberville, I think we will be doing ourselves a service. That's not to say that a Lembo or a Narduzzi, etc., wouldn't be a splash. But I think that Houston Nutt would be a very solid hire here...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nutt would be acceptable, if his attitude about the job is right. I say the same of Mangini. If Lembo thinks he's hot stuff at Ball State, then to hell with him. Let him try to win in Minnesota, that's where coaches go to become permanently retired. Nobody can win at Minnesota.

While there are several jobs opening up, we won't be desperate. There are several big time coordinators (Herman, Cristobal, Narduzzi), there's Lembo, Nutt, Mangini...lots of options. Let Warde talk to them, see if they can come to UConn and take pride of ownership about building something permanent. I have some trust in his judgment on this.

I would like a southern connection, as I think there are plenty of 3 star kids down there who would upgrade our talent level. I also believe that southern kids play HS football at a higher level and have less of a learning curve. Recruiting CT? If UConn becomes a winning program, almost every FBS level kid in the state will want to come. Winning will take care of local recruiting.

Reaction Score
Seriously. Dickie Nutt was the head coach at Arkansas state. We used to sponsor his coaches show. I about fell over when they told me his name.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Yeah...what he said.

I was going to respond but just let it go. You are correct on what my intent was.

I know what the intent was, but I was arguing that you need to discredit what Orgeron did at Ole Miss because he is a big time cheater. I thought the implication was, "Nutt can't recruit, Orgeron and Hugh Freeze are recruiting well at Ole Miss, but Nutt didn't".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom