Houston Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Houston Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, well, finally watched last night's opus not at Houston. Maybe Geno will want to rethink the pre-game meal of ribs. Naugh, just kidding. Every once a whie one of these will come along. As has been mentioned, Natalie's 2 handed outlet off the defensive rebound is very efficient. Gets it, dishes it. KLS continued to do the other things. Gabby, yes, looked like Gabby tonight. Mo came out and demonstrated soundness. ESPN - a question - was that your feed or a local...awful! Well, we can thank them for the big picture. Hey, Polly, loved the running lay up! Loved Natalie getting time in, right to the end.

Reaction Score
Pam Ward didn't say that Geno recommended Morgan go pro; she said he "wasn't so sure" she'd be back. Not exactly the same thing.
They keep trying to instigate Morgan leaving... wonder why...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
So, well, finally watched last night's opus not at Houston. Maybe Geno will want to rethink the pre-game meal of ribs. Naugh, just kidding. Every once a whie one of these will come along. As has been mentioned, Natalie's 2 handed outlet off the defensive rebound is very efficient. Gets it, dishes it. KLS continued to do the other things. Gabby, yes, looked like Gabby tonight. Mo came out and demonstrated soundness. ESPN - a question - was that your feed or a local...awful! Well, we can thank them for the big picture. Hey, Polly, loved the running lay up! Loved Natalie getting time in, right to the end.
Also loved that near-perfectly executed picknpop. Everything was right except her shot went in and out.

Reaction Score
That's a way over-interpretation of anything she's said. She has said she is definitely planning on coming back. Way short of any sort of commitment or promise or giving her "word."
Your quote is from Sept 22, 2015. My quote is from Dec 11. 2015. Who we should trust?

This is Tuck's fourth year at UConn, so she would be eligible for the 2016 draft, just like Stewart and Jefferson. But she expects to be at UConn in 2016-17, too.

"My plan is to stay, definitely," Tuck said. "I know basketball isn't going to last forever, and I could get my master's in a year by being on scholarship. And that's looking really appealing.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...9/morgan-tuck-all-figured-connecticut-huskies

Also in BY board: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/morgan-tuck-5th-year.84649/

Reaction Score
I am not thinking of only the WNBA, but that is her first paycheck, and with a knee that requires her to rest at times during a 5 month college season, playing a twelve month long schedule of games is probably not a good idea for her, so she will definitely have a choice to make. And the medical and training staff available overseas is spotty at its best, and if you are injured, they just stop paying you.

You don't think she'll play overseas her 1st year? I say she will. Maybe you are right - but sooner or later she will is my prediction. I think she will play overseas her 1st year. And I'm not so sure in her rookie year in the WNBA she is going to get a ton of minutes unless she finds a perfect spot. So if she plays her 1styear in both- WNBA and Intn'l then then $50,000 comment you made is irrelevant, right?

Because right after that - she gets a bigger check. It's as if she is getting a raise the 2nd half of her pro career (or thatshe has a seasonal type of job) which is why I continue to dispute the thought "she would be leaving for only $50K." Then an explanation why $50k is no big deal.
Until she leaves she is not getting the "2nd part" of her salary when she goes overseas. So she isn't leaving for $50k.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
You don't think she'll play overseas her 1st year? I say she will. Maybe you are right - but sooner or later she will is my prediction. I think she will play overseas her 1st year. And I'm not so sure in her rookie year in the WNBA she is going to get a ton of minutes unless she finds a perfect spot. So if she plays her 1styear in both- WNBA and Intn'l then then $50,000 comment you made is irrelevant, right?

Because right after that - she gets a bigger check. It's as if she is getting a raise the 2nd half of her pro career (or thatshe has a seasonal type of job) which is why I continue to dispute the thought "she would be leaving for only $50K." Then an explanation why $50k is no big deal.
Until she leaves she is not getting the "2nd part" of her salary when she goes overseas. So she isn't leaving for $50k.
I really don't want to even entertain the notion of her not coming back, but if we were to think about what's best for her, given her knee, if she were to go out, I suggest she would be better off skipping the WNBA season her first year and then joining up with an overseas team. That way she mitigates (mostly eliminates) the risk from playing a heavy, intense schedule right out of school, but makes her larger salary anyway.

Reaction Score
Your quote is from Sept 22, 2015. My quote is from Dec 11. 2015. Who we should trust?

This is Tuck's fourth year at UConn, so she would be eligible for the 2016 draft, just like Stewart and Jefferson. But she expects to be at UConn in 2016-17, too.

"My plan is to stay, definitely," Tuck said. "I know basketball isn't going to last forever, and I could get my master's in a year by being on scholarship. And that's looking really appealing.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...9/morgan-tuck-all-figured-connecticut-huskies

Also in BY board: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/morgan-tuck-5th-year.84649/
Exactly - her plan is to stay. She hasn't committed to stay, promised to stay, or given her word that she is staying.

Reaction Score
Exactly - her plan is to stay. She hasn't committed to stay, promised to stay, or given her word that she is staying.
"her plan is to stay" does not equal " her plan is to stay definitely" .............LOL

Reaction Score
"her plan is to stay" does not equal " her plan is to stay definitely" ...LOL
"My plan is to stay, definitely" = "Definitely, my plan is to stay."

This is not even close to the same as, "I am definitely staying."

Reaction Score
I really don't want to even entertain the notion of her not coming back, but if we were to think about what's best for her, given her knee, if she were to go out, I suggest she would be better off skipping the WNBA season her first year and then joining up with an overseas team. That way she mitigates (mostly eliminates) the risk from playing a heavy, intense schedule right out of school, but makes her larger salary anyway.

I love that thought but would an overseas team take her and pay decent bucks? Probably. But there is something about being a top-tier pick in the WNBA.

Anyways I'm done with this subject for this thread. I love watching Tuck play - next game coming tomorrow. And I would love to see her another year. I feel like I am betting against my favorite team when I say I think she should go. Those bets are not fun bets.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I love that thought but would an overseas team take her and pay decent bucks? Probably. But there is something about being a top-tier pick in the WNBA.

Anyways I'm done with this subject for this thread. I love watching Tuck play - next game coming tomorrow. And I would love to see her another year. I feel like I am betting against my favorite team when I say I think she should go. Those bets are not fun bets.
Here's where it helps to play for Geno! :cool:

I'll stop now, too.

Reaction Score
"My plan is to stay, definitely" = "Definitely, my plan is to stay."

This is not even close to the same as, "I am definitely staying."
Your post is: Exactly - her plan is to stay.
That is different than: Exactly - her plan is to stay definitely.
No need to make the word game and this is the last one I will response you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's a way over-interpretation of anything she's said. She has said she is definitely planning on coming back. Way short of any sort of commitment or promise or giving her "word."
Did you hear her comments on TV this week? It was pretty clear, words and tone.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Yes - but will she actually play immediately in Europe? She did not play four weeks this past summer for USA basketball so she could rest her knee even after having had about 2 months of rest. If she enters the draft, a team drafting her will certainly expect her to play immediately with about 4 weeks of rest from the end of her Uconn season, as would her foreign team immediately after her WNBA season - that would be 17 months of continuous play with only maybe 6 weeks of rest during that whole time - not likely a very good way to have a prolonged professional career with a somewhat balky knee.

Reaction Score
So, well, finally watched last night's opus not at Houston. Maybe Geno will want to rethink the pre-game meal of ribs. Naugh, just kidding. Every once a whie one of these will come along.

Exactly, I don't know why so many are so upset that we played a lack-luster half of BB against non-challenging team in the middle of a road trip. How many games can a team really get psyched up for?

Reaction Score
I don't know why she got benched last night. But SC was throwing up bricks from 3 too, right? And her defense couldn't have been that great because as she played a bit in the 1st half - the 1sthalf - that's when the defense was at it's worst, right? I don't know though if it was her but Houston did dictate tempo.

But I think it's because of Chong's limitations. My guess is you are frustrated more that Nurse is playing when she seems to playing badly at times - then why not use Chong more? My guess is - we know Geno thinks Chong plays as you put it turnstile defense (obviously not that bad.). If Chong isn't scoring - what else can she do well? Nurse gives a physicality that UCONN needs which is rebounding and toughness - of which those aren't the strongest team attributes overall for this specific team until Butler arrived.

Only a guess I made up here- other than Chong can do one thing well- which is shoot to score. Passes okay for a guard. the others do other things than shoot to score which Geno seems to have preference for.

HoopHuskee, you seemed to have misunderstood me. I was referring to Nurse's turnstile defense. Game after game she gets beaten on the dribble, faster guards just blow by her. Sometimes she will catch up and often hammer the offender. Yes, I and several other get upset watching Nurse play minute after minute, going out of control to the hoop and getting caught underneath and also laying brick after brick from outside.
Look at the USF game, Nurse was 2 for 8 from the floor until that little flurry she had in the last 5 meaningless minutes of the game.
Who else gets to go 2 for 8 and not get benched. At times this season the girl is putting up enough bricks a game earn a Union Card!!!

Reaction Score
HoopHuskee, you seemed to have misunderstood me. I was referring to Nurse's turnstile defense. Game after game she gets beaten on the dribble, faster guards just blow by her. Sometimes she will catch up and often hammer the offender. Yes, I and several other get upset watching Nurse play minute after minute, going out of control to the hoop and getting caught underneath and also laying brick after brick from outside.
Look at the USF game, Nurse was 2 for 8 from the floor until that little flurry she had in the last 5 meaningless minutes of the game.
Who else gets to go 2 for 8 and not get benched. At times this season the girl is putting up enough bricks a game earn a Union Card!!!

I don't agree- we can agree to disagree. I heard Saniya was hurting and I don't think Nurse is as bad as you say.

1-- I like Chong but she is a soft player. She can't rebound well and her defense is just as much turnstile. Her lateral quickness is not very good and if you're as small as she is, that's not good. . Before Butler came in, this team can get overpowered. And when UCONN plays man-to-man defense, they switch at times. Chong can't guard anyone with physicality going after rebounds or in the post unless the player is just as small as her. Nurse has more size and strength to compete.

My guess is that you've played basketball by the way you post and notice things. I played too- I was a quick guard, athletic, but much smaller vs the bigger trees. When I tried to defend inside or go for rebounds I got thrown around like a twig. I was fine outside vs quick guards. I feel that is the same way as Saniya. She has no height or bulk. MoJeff is smaller or smaller but she is a freak athlete with tremendous hops and tremendous lateral quickness.. Saniya isn't. Nurse is strong and gives the team much more of what it needs imo.

2-- I sort of like Nurse's want to take the ball in the paint and challenge. Teams are playing a lot of zone against us - and we can take three's easily. Nurse provides something - a real want to attack the lane. If you had all the same five shooters they wouldn't ever get fouled, never create anything. Geno had said last year UCONN vs ND in finals to paraphrase- "my players think they can post without moving and be in a good position to score." -- I think Nurse attacking off the bounce as much as she does is a good thing. I don't think Saniya can do it well. When you attack you can open up opportunities even on missed shots. Shots aren't falling enough for our complete liking but imo Nurse provides toughness.

3-- Just because a player goes 2-8 doesn't mean you pull her. Even super players can go for 2-8.

4-- I don't think in terms of overall team improvement the last 5 minutes were meaningless. The old John Thompson-led Georgetown Hoyas made a living playing cupcakes while improving. It may turn out maybe the minutes were - but one can never know. The kids on the court got a chance to play for 5plus minutes at the end vs a pretty good team. I don't think that is meaningless. Nurse doesn't get a chance to play much pg and if Saniya is hurting who else is going to play pg? She NEEDS those 5 minutes.

I believe uconnkat on another thread stated Geno felt like Saniya was hurting in pregame. Maybe he would have yanked her after going 2-6 and she would have been benched. But I get why she doesn't necessarily get benched. Her physicality is a current need.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like Chong was hurt. I still don't think Geno wants her in that kind of intense, tight game, particularly on the road. I know she played very well in limited minutes against Maryland, but still.

The junior guard, who has been bothered by IT Band Syndrome of the right leg since the start of the season did not play against USF on Sunday. It was a Auriemma's choice, as Chong had been cleared for action by athletic trainer Rosemary Ragle.

"Saniya didn't go backward, but she didn't go forward," Auriemma said. "I just didn't feel comfortable playing her. She's not worse, but just not a good day. I probably could have played her, Rosemary gave us the heads-up that she was good to go, but I just didn't feel it."

Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like Chong was hurt. I still don't think Geno wants her in that kind of intense, tight game, particularly on the road. I know she played very well in limited minutes against Maryland, but still.

The junior guard, who has been bothered by IT Band Syndrome of the right leg since the start of the season did not play against USF on Sunday. It was a Auriemma's choice, as Chong had been cleared for action by athletic trainer Rosemary Ragle.

"Saniya didn't go backward, but she didn't go forward," Auriemma said. "I just didn't feel comfortable playing her. She's not worse, but just not a good day. I probably could have played her, Rosemary gave us the heads-up that she was good to go, but I just didn't feel it."

Difficult to say for sure from that quote, but it sounds like she wasn't physically 100%. I think she was in that middle ground where she was technically not sidelined with injury, but with a bit of "walking wounded"-level performance.

If her leg wasn't a concern, I don't think Geno would have thought to mention Rosemary's opinion of her physical health. And I think that if it were an issue of gametime trust, he would at least have thrown her in at the end of the 4th with the other people who didn't make the game rotation.

I suspect that if there were some improbably serious issue with the guards on the floor, like foul trouble or more injury, he would have reluctantly put her in there. A healthy (or half-healthy) Chong is much faster than Ekmark or Butler, which is what you want in the USF games.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Difficult to say for sure from that quote, but it sounds like she wasn't physically 100%. I think she was in that middle ground where she was technically not sidelined with injury, but with a bit of "walking wounded"-level performance.

If her leg wasn't a concern, I don't think Geno would have thought to mention Rosemary's opinion of her physical health.

It was definitely an ambiguous quote, but using my "reading-between-the-lines" powers I think he's trying to say she could play but he didn't want her to for basketball reasons. I assume he was asked about her health postgame which is why Rosemary's evaluation came up. Unless he saw something he didn't like physically with her in warmups, but he didn't say anything about that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have IT band syndrome - it's very common for women, cyclists, and runners. Some days it feels great, some days it just kind of aches, and some days I walk like a 200 year old woman. It would absolutely affect lateral movement. Playing on it wouldn't damage cause any more damage to Saniya but it could be agonizing for her. If Geno needed someone to help guard Courtney Williams, Saniya wouldn't be my first choice because the kid is just too quick and there's no way to know if Saniya would just have too much pain to keep up. It can just "come on" suddenly. The whole thing sucks, really, because it will probably never go away.

itb-syndrome.jpg

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

If you listen to the press conference it definitely sounds like the primary reason was medical.

The Saniya part is from 8:00 to about 8:30

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If you listen to the press conference it definitely sounds like the primary reason was medical.

It's an odd way to explain the situation. Her knee had been good the last few games so not going "backward or forward" would seem to suggest a positive status quo. Sounds like it was a gut feeling thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom