Houston 20-8 vs Uconn 20-8 | The Boneyard

Houston 20-8 vs Uconn 20-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WOW, was I the only 1 that took a pause when I read the records? Yes I know Houston does not play the same out of conference teams as Uconn, but they did have a big win against Lsu and Kelvin Sampson has done an excellent job trying to turn around Houston who was in the dumps for a while. I really think this game is being overlooked by some people as an "automatic win". I expect Uconn to win, but this will be a scrappy win and game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
WOW, was I the only 1 that took a pause when I read the records? Yes I know Houston does not play the same out of conference teams as Uconn, but they did have a big win against Lsu and Kelvin Sampson has done an excellent job trying to turn around Houston who was in the dumps for a while. I really think this game is being overlooked by some people as an "automatic win". I expect Uconn to win, but this will be a scrappy win and game.
It will be for sure. The end of the season is around the corner. Everyone wants to end strong. Hopefully that beat down in Tampa will not put the team in relax mode. It happens. Hopefully Purvis still has a few threes left in his bag.

Reaction Score
A win here will punch UConn's ticket to the dance.
Houston did the right thing with the soft ooc schedule. They needed to get used to winning. Kudos to them for stepping up and getting rid of an ineffective coach, and spending the dollars to land a proven coach like Sampson. Houston is not some nothing program like E. Carolina. They have won at a high level in the past, and I expect them to do it again. I hope the higher ups at Memphis are watching. Memphis, and Houston playing at a high level will solve a lot of the perception problems this league has.

Reaction Score
A win here will punch UConn's ticket to the dance.
Houston did the right thing with the soft ooc schedule. They needed to get used to winning. Kudos to them for stepping up and getting rid of an ineffective coach, and spending the dollars to land a proven coach like Sampson. Houston is not some nothing program like E. Carolina. They have won at a high level in the past, and I expect them to do it again. I hope the higher ups at Memphis are watching. Memphis, and Houston playing at a high level will solve a lot of the perception problems this league has.

I think 3 more wins and we're definitely in the dance. Either our last 3 regular season games, 2 of the last 3 and 1 in the AAC tournament, 1 of the last 3 and then 2 wins in the tournament. Obviously if we flame out and lose our last 3 regular season games we'll have to win all 3 tournament games to guarantee a spot.

Reaction Score
Sat on the plane with the Cougars last night from Houston to Bradley. They are very confident they can win tomorrow. I chatted quickly with Sampson and he believes they match up well against the Husky's inside and out. He wants to contain the three point shooting and sounded like they will probably take chances inside to do that. He then went on to talk about Brianna Stewart for 5 minutes which was his way of saying off with the men's questions. I countered with a Senior hex on him on my way out. Jokes on him.

Reaction Score
I know you alluded to it, but just to put it in perspective.

Houston's SOS is 143.

Ours is 68.

Reaction Score
I think 3 more wins and we're definitely in the dance. Either our last 3 regular season games, 2 of the last 3 and 1 in the AAC tournament, 1 of the last 3 and then 2 wins in the tournament. Obviously if we flame out and lose our last 3 regular season games we'll have to win all 3 tournament games to guarantee a spot.

Probably right, but here's an unfortunate fact: We don't need a "bad" loss to fall short of those three wins. If we lose at SMU, it is a near certainty that our quarter-final opponent in the AAC tourney will be Houston. Either we're the 4 seed and they're the 5 or vice-versa. This is because we lose all the tie-breakers -- to Temple, Cincy and Tulsa. It means to get those three wins, we need to either win at SMU or beat Houston twice. Lose 2 of our final 4 and we're in a big sweat come Selection Sunday

Reaction Score
Probably right, but here's an unfortunate fact: We don't need a "bad" loss to fall short of those three wins. If we lose at SMU, it is a near certainty that our quarter-final opponent in the AAC tourney will be Houston. Either we're the 4 seed and they're the 5 or vice-versa. This is because we lose all the tie-breakers -- to Temple, Cincy and Tulsa. It means to get those three wins, we need to either win at SMU or beat Houston twice. Lose 2 of our final 4 and we're in a big sweat come Selection Sunday
We're still in easily losing 2 of our final 4 in the scenario you describe.

Reaction Score
Right now, the line is even according to ESPN. Kind of outrageous considering we're home and beat them in Houston.

Reaction Score

According to RPIwizard if we beat Houston and UCF and lose to SMU, then lose to Houston on a neutral court in the first round of the AAC tournament, we'd have an RPI of 44. Depending on how kenpom/BPI are affected, I might still be sweating on selection Sunday.

Reaction Score

So far, we've lost every game that might have separated us from the pack. Tomorrow is a unique game in that a loss to Houston not only leaves us deep down in the pack but ADDS a team to the pack -- Houston. This is not the Big East where all 5 teams would dance on to the NCAA. It's more likely that five AAC teams with matching credentials would ALL be ignored, only the AAC tourney winner getting in. It's fanciful to think that UConn is anywhere near safely in. Lose to Houston tomorrow, lose at SMU and lose again to Houston in Orlando, and it's on to the NIT.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The game hasn't changed. Lose to no one outside the Top 100 and finish at least. 500 vs the Top 100.

This win would not punch our ticket. A loss would put us squarely on the bubble.

Win these last 3 gamed and beat the first Top 100 team we face in the AAC and our ticket will be punched. You guys need to stop living in past realities.

Reaction Score
Win these last 3 gamed and beat the first Top 100 team we face in the AAC and our ticket will be punched. You guys need to stop living in future fantasies.

Reaction Score
Right now, the line is even according to ESPN. Kind of outrageous considering we're home and beat them in Houston.

That just means it's not updated yet. If you look at the ESPN app right now every line is Even.

Reaction Score
According to RPIwizard if we beat Houston and UCF and lose to SMU, then lose to Houston on a neutral court in the first round of the AAC tournament, we'd have an RPI of 44. Depending on how kenpom/BPI are affected, I might still be sweating on selection Sunday.
I was just checking out that RPI Wizard and its crazy to see that if we won the Gonzaga game, and just got one of those games vs Temple or Cincinnati back, our RPI would currently be around 20. I know that everyone is sick of hearing it, but thats life in the AAC. One or two games could be the difference between a NCAA Tournament lock and living close to the bubble.

Reaction Score
So far, we've lost every game that might have separated us from the pack. Tomorrow is a unique game in that a loss to Houston not only leaves us deep down in the pack but ADDS a team to the pack -- Houston. This is not the Big East where all 5 teams would dance on to the NCAA. It's more likely that five AAC teams with matching credentials would ALL be ignored, only the AAC tourney winner getting in. It's fanciful to think that UConn is anywhere near safely in. Lose to Houston tomorrow, lose at SMU and lose again to Houston in Orlando, and it's on to the NIT.
You realize that losing to Houston tomorrow wasn't in your original scenario that I responded to, right? Your scenario was losing to SMU and in the first round of the conference tournament to Houston.

Your whole 5 AAC teams with matching credentials getting left out is an imaginary narritive based upon 0 facts. And no 5 AAC teams are going to have close to matching credentials anyway.

Reaction Score
I was just checking out that RPI Wizard and its crazy to see that if we won the Gonzaga game, and just got one of those games vs Temple or Cincinnati back, our RPI would currently be around 20. I know that everyone is sick of hearing it, but thats life in the AAC. One or two games could be the difference between a NCAA Tournament lock and living close to the bubble.

I see what you're saying, but one or two games can be the difference in any conference.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All this scenario crap is making my head spin
JUST WIN
That's all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors