Hot Seat | The Boneyard

Hot Seat

Reaction Score
Was on the Coaches hotseat website this morning. They have Ash one. Edsall two. Yes both teams are horrendous. But I think they both get one more year.
I don’t know what Benedict is thinking. But as far as reasonable replacements, I’m thinking Ambrose. He’s done an excellent job at Towson. And we haven’t had an offensive-minded Head Coach since Skip Holts.
Who would you want?

Reaction Score
Was on the Coaches hotseat website this morning. They have Ash one. Edsall two. Yes both teams are horrendous. But I think they both get one more year.
I don’t know what Benedict is thinking. But as far as reasonable replacements, I’m thinking Ambrose. He’s done an excellent job at Towson. And we haven’t had an offensive-minded Head Coach since Skip Holts.
Who would you want?
I actually look at the same site and usually number one and two are always in trouble

Reaction Score
I don't think Edsall is on the Hot Seat.
Me either. Gotta look up that NY Times analysis from a couple years ago that quantified the effects of changing coaches. There is an obvious upside ... and there is a less than obvious downside often overlooked. I also think that it is better than 50-50 that Crocker stays at least for one more year.

Reaction Score
I believe if Edsall is fired Jan 2019 its a $2M buyout. If he's fired Jan 2020 its a $1M buyout. He's only making like $1M/yr anyway. We're already operating in the red. We can't keep guaranteeing long term contracts and then buying them out early.

I honestly wonder if the job was publicly posted with a $1M salary guaranteed for 3 years would we get a single worthy applicant. And we'd still have to cover Edsall's buyout. Not happening. His seat is room temperature.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went to the site and read this:

Why is Randy Edsall the head coach at UConn?
The reason we ask that is Randy Edsall left UConn in the dead of the night not even saying goodbye to his UConn players after the 2010 Fiesta Bowl to take the Maryland job and Edsall at Maryland put up records of….
Overall: 22 – 34
Big Ten: 10 – 24

….so again we ask….
Why is Randy Edsall the Head Football coach at UConn?
There is NO logical answer to that question….NONE!

I remember how folks with similar thoughts were killed here at the start and now they are in the majority.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall is not getting fired FFS. He will get 5 years. If he falls on his face I really don’t think we’re hiring another football coach.
I've been saying for a while now that the odds are close to 50/50 that Edsall is the last UConn football coach. I just don't see how much longer we can let this go on

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I believe if Edsall is fired Jan 2019 its a $2M buyout. If he's fired Jan 2020 its a $1M buyout. He's only making like $1M/yr anyway. We're already operating in the red. We can't keep guaranteeing long term contracts and then buying them out early.

I honestly wonder if the job was publicly posted with a $1M salary guaranteed for 3 years would we get a single worthy applicant. And we'd still have to cover Edsall's buyout. Not happening. His seat is room temperature.

According to this site: Randy Edsall contract at Connecticut, the buyout is:

$2M if before 12/1/18;
$1M if before 12/1/19

According to this site, we save $1M if we wait until Dec 2, 2018. Seems like a no-brainer to at least wait until December to make a decision.

But I do agree with the folks above, I don't see Edsall being fired this year. We're too cheap and uncommitted to football. I'd love to see $1M added to the assistant's pool but know full well that isn't happening either. But at least we'll break ground on a part-time hockey arena and get to pay the cost of that back for 30 years.

Reaction Score
I don't think HCRE is being terminated at the end of the season. I think that he gets to bring in this recruiting class & get his freshmen into the weight room offseason.
There is only one fly in the ointment: Was listening on Sirius-XM last week, & the show hosts were discussing that Gus Malzahn is on thin ice with the boosters at Auburn & could be let go if War Eagle doesn't beat Bama.
Benedict would only have to pick up the phone.

Reaction Score
There are football coaches that would take 750k and win. The problem isn’t having a football program or the football budget so much. We just have an uncanny ability to hire bad coaches while our conference brethren seem to hit the lottery over and over again. Solve that problem, solve all our problems.

Reaction Score
I don't think HCRE is being terminated at the end of the season. I think that he gets to bring in this recruiting class & get his freshmen into the weight room offseason.
There is only one fly in the ointment: Was listening on Sirius-XM last week, & the show hosts were discussing that Gus Malzahn is on thin ice with the boosters at Auburn & could be let go if War Eagle doesn't beat Bama.

Reaction Score

There is only one fly in the ointment: ... Sirius-XM show hosts discussing Gus Malzahn is on thin ice with the boosters at Auburn ... Benedict would only have to pick up the phone.
Agreed, it's unlikely Edsall's going anywhere. Additionally, HCRE will likely coach at least another few more seasons with UConn and recruit at least a 3rd full-year recruiting class in 2019-20. After HCRE2.0's 1/2/17 start, several weeks clearly was not a full recruiting period.

After Auburn potentially shows Malzahn the same door as Rhett Lashlee was conveniently encouraged to quickly exit, the former will command much bigger dinero from schools likely positioned to currently pay more now.

Setting the above aside, why does anyone believe:

1) Benedict currently has the authority to make a coaching change from the BoT let alone a lame duck UConn president,
2) Benedict will still be A.D.D.B in Storrs when the new president starts next June in Storrs, or soon after?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I don't think Edsall is on the Hot Seat.

Assistants will take the fall this year. Edsall has to get a hard look at the end of next year if we remain historically terrible.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I am all for mistreating players...bring on Ambrose!

Reaction Score
Petrino at Louisville has to be on the hot seat, though that is a minor concern for that University when looking at the big picture. I can see the alumni and boosters grabbing their spears over Florida St's Taggat after with a 4-5 record right now. Ditto further south at the U with Richt's disappointing 5-4 record.

Edsall is safe at UConn right now unless he run into some violation issue. UConn simply does not have the money to buy him out right now and not many would want to take-over the program at this juncture, sadly.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That isn't happening - Massive paycut and I'm quite sure his Auburn contract will pay him more to not coach the next few years than run this UConn headache for peanuts PLUS there are many bigger and better programs than UConn looking for HCs in 2019
RE is a "bargain" at $1million

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I've been saying for a while now that the odds are close to 50/50 that Edsall is the last UConn football coach. I just don't see how much longer we can let this go on

Go watch basketball then. So tired of people like you saying no more football. For someone who claims to be a football expert you seem to give up awfully easy.

Football is not going away but so-called fans will. I am at every home game and that won't change

Reaction Score
Go watch basketball then. So tired of people like you saying no more football. For someone who claims to be a football expert you seem to give up awfully easy.

Football is not going away but so-called fans will. I am at every home game and that won't change
I'm a football fan first, but I'm not delusional like you are

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The coach’s hot seat website is usually wildly inaccurate. Edsall isn’t going anywhere

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom