Hot potato: Role of diversity in the hire -- Could be a very good thing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hot potato: Role of diversity in the hire -- Could be a very good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you intentionally being obtuse, or do you not think that black head coaches are underrepresented in football?

60% of players are black, 12% of head coaches.

Hey I could argue that at 12% it is in line with the general population % in the country and that Caucasian Players are under represented. Should they make a move to recruit more caucasion players?

Reaction Score
Here's the thing......if we truly want to talk about individuals based on their merits and character and NOT on the color of their skin......eventually, we have to stop talking about people based on the color of skin.

100 percent agree. . . .just thought we have five-seven weeks before the topic was going to come up elsewhere in legacy media. Instead of them initiating the discussion why not here.

Reaction Score
I'm all for hiring an American, probably best pool of candidates with football expertise.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Warde has a good handle on that aspect of the hiring process.

There isn't one "right guy" for the UConn job - there are no doubt a good pool of candidates who will do a fine job at UConn and if Warde chooses to hire a candidate who also advances the cause of minority hiring for head coaching gigs, all the better.

I think that was the intent of the original post and I agree completely.

Kind of on the topic....ninety-percent of athletic directors are white - 82% of Division One hoop coaches are white.

I think UConn's setting a pretty solid example for the rest of the country.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
As long as Susan thinks he's a rock star, I'm on board.

Reaction Score
Selection based on race is insulting and immoral, in either direction and irrespective of purpose. The liberal legacy of affirmative action has done little other than endgender further polarization.

Find the best guy.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I say we go all out african american woman one-legged muslim that would be a statement. If shes the best candidate

I'm totally against a one legged, African American, muslim woman as our next coach.

This team needs a coach they can lean on!

Reaction Score
I never claimed that black head coaches are not under represented.

I believe that what you are claiming is little more than pandering. Tell me the representation (in percentages, you did so with players vs head coaches) in student athletes and in athletic directors, I will wager heavily that the disparity is far more striking yet at one of the highest profile schools (athletics wise) in the NCAA to have an African American athletic director I have not yet seen any of these ancillary benefits.

Again, I am being told that if the coach is black it is an additional win. I don't see that at all (and I am not being obtuse).

That's fine, some of us believe that when african americans who are underrepresented in a profession earn opportunities that they were previously denied... and they succeed... it helps advance the cause of those who would like to stop talking about skin color. Because as the number of black coaches grows, they are no longer the exception to the rule, and it's no longer newsworthy.

Reaction Score
Selection based on race is insulting and immoral, in either direction and irrespective of purpose. The liberal legacy of affirmative action has done little other than endgender further polarization.

Find the best guy.

A) I'm not a liberal.
B) Nobody has said hire the man based on race. Nobody.

Nice strawman.

Reaction Score
Hey I could argue that at 12% it is in line with the general population % in the country and that Caucasian Players are under represented. Should they make a move to recruit more caucasion players?

And that argument would be fackking stoopid. (I said the argument, not you)

60% of players are black, since most coaches (not all) played at some level, it's logical to think many players would continue on to coaching. If 12% of players were black, this would be a different discussion.

If you think the 88% of white coaches are discriminating against white players, then go ahead and make that idiotic argument. (argument, not you).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a non issue. UConn, with an African American AD, and recently hired African American Men's BB HC is absolutely not going to get any negative press if they happen to hire a white football coach. There is no "positive" press from hiring a black head coach, only negative press from failing to do so (or worse failing to consider those candidates). I hope race or ethnicity play no role whatsoever in the decision.

Reaction Score
That's fine, some of us believe that when african americans who are underrepresented in a profession earn opportunities that they were previously denied... and they succeed... it helps advance the cause of those who would like to stop talking about skin color. Because as the number of black coaches grows, they are no longer the exception to the rule, and it's no longer newsworthy.

It really shouldn't be newsworthy now. And there is really no need for a thread like this. This isn't 1965 anymore. This just seems like pandering. Like UConn or any one of has to prove that we're not racist and wouldn't hire a black head coach. Nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom