Hoping by week's end... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hoping by week's end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, this quarterback selection, and to some extent the decision last year to play Boyle, could have some longer term impact on our lineup. I suspect that might be some of the impetus to convince Whitmer to come back this year. If you think Boyle has long term potential to be really good, but isn't ready as was painfully clear last year, and Whitmer is a solid stopgap, you can go with him and let Boyle and Cochran battle it out next year. But if Cochran establishes himself as #1 this season and has a solid performance over the course of the year, it becomes almost impossible to replace him next year even if you think Boyle might have more upside. Replacing an established starter isn't that easy for any coach and if you do it, you better be right. And next year we have the NC ?State transfer plus a Diaco recruit who will redshirt, but will enter the competition for 2016. If you're Boyle and Cochran gets the nod you have to wonder if you might not be better off at Delaware or Western Michigan or somewhere.

All that said, I like Whitmer and I have often wondered how he'd do with a competent offense around him, something that was sorely lacking the past 2 seasons. He has guts, he can throw the football, he can run a little and he has that gunslinger mentality that I like in quarterbacks, though he needs a little better judgement to go with it. And I like Boyle's potential. Big rangy quarterbacks with good arms are really good to have. He was horribly abused by the coaching staff last year, though and that hurt his future at UConn I suspect.

Whitmer has a great arm and with a good O-Line I am convinced he can move the offense, however he has history of throwing too many interceptions. At Butler Junior college 2011, Chandler made National JUCO All American (Honorable mention) Former LSU QB, Zach Mettenberger, now with the Tennessee Titans graduated Butler in 2010 was a JUCO All American. Whitmer left Butler in 2011 and was 180/316 for 3022 yds. He had 25 TD's with 14 interceptions. Mettenberger was 159/279 for 2,678 yds, 32 TD's and only 4 picks. Aside from the interceptions they had comparable JUCO years. In terms of overall capability and experience Whitmer would get the nod. However my guess is Casey is going to be the starter for the BYU game because of the intangibles. Diaco will not tolerate turnovers. If somehow Diaco and staff are convinced that Whitmer has learned how not to turn the ball over, it might be a different story.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whitmer has a great arm and with a good O-Line I am convinced he can move the offense, however he has history of throwing too many interceptions. At Butler Junior college 2011, Chandler made National JUCO All American (Honorable mention) Former LSU QB, Zach Mettenberger, now with the Tennessee Titans graduated Butler in 2010 was a JUCO All American. Whitmer left Butler in 2011 and was 180/316 for 3022 yds. He had 25 TD's with 14 interceptions. Mettenberger was 159/279 for 2,678 yds, 32 TD's and only 4 picks. Aside from the interceptions they had comparable JUCO years. In terms of overall capability and experience Whitmer would get the nod. However my guess is Casey is going to be the starter for the BYU game because of the intangibles. Diaco will not tolerate turnovers. If somehow Diaco and staff are convinced that Whitmer has learned how not to turn the ball over, it might be a different story.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

A large part of this threads debate is Diaco has specifically spelled out that TO's will put you on the bench. What several of us have suggested is that for all of Whitmer's assets he has consistently had a high interception rate. Couple that with his (not through his own fault) history and susceptibility to concussions and I'd prefer to see him as the back up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they probably do. When was the last time a starting quarterback who played well was replaced when he wasn't injured? Doesn't happen very often. Coaches might say th ejob is open, but it usually isn't. Lots of reasons why. among them, it is good to have predictability, it is good to have a guy with game experience which you can't simulate no matter how you try, especially if he plays well. And it is hugely risky to replace an established starter. And most coaches are decidedly risk averse. Heck, they even have to have a card that tells them when to go for 2 points. Replacing the established starter risks messing with team chemistry, dividing the team into the Hernadezes and the Boneses. And if it doesn't work out, a coach can lose more than face.

I'd look at ND and UVa when now HCBD was at each and ask the same Q. I see this as a year of transition, where he brings in his system slowly, not completely, awaiting the players he believes are necessary to accomplish the same. I am hopeful that CC will earn the job (so TB can RS) and will get us back to a bowl. But there is a reason we are hearing so much already about the true frosh who will see action this year. IMO, CC gives us the best opportunity in the short-term. I am not sure that equates to the LT plan being instituted. Regardless, it is never bad when folks think more than 1 guy can lead the team at QB.

Reaction Score
Poor pass protection + predictable play calling + Gunslinger QB - respectable ground game = high interception rate.

With a different offense, better protection, and more comfort with the o-line and offensive system, Whitmer could cut down on the interceptions. I just hope whichever one wins, stays healthy.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they probably do. When was the last time a starting quarterback who played well was replaced when he wasn't injured?.

Huh? You're talking about doing it now. If you can do it at the start of the '14 season, why in the world couldn't you do it at the start of the '15 season?

Reaction Score
We're seen Whitmer. He is great in a red shirt. He sometimes shows good accuracy. He will throw WTFs balls into coverage. He has shown no ability to throw on the run. He takes some horrific hits. He doesn't seem to be able to rally the team. A little bad luck usually turns into a tailspin.

Unless he has had a tremendous growth spurn as a QB, not impossible yet not likely, he doesn't give us enough to win.

Reaction Score
My favorite part about the constant conversations about who will be quarterback 3 years in the future is that not a single conversation since 2001 would have ended up playing out in any fashion like the predictions.

UConn has had three transfer quarterback since then and we've seen the quarterback of the future like Box, McCummings, Endres, Hernandez, Lagow and others fizzle
out or never make any contribution.

To be fair, I still think Endres was pretty good. Too bad he got kicked out for smoking pot. Stupid drug testing rules. The only thing pot enhances your performance in is eating brownies.

Reaction Score
Huh? You're talking about doing it now. If you can do it at the start of the '14 season, why in the world couldn't you do it at the start of the '15 season?
You could do anything. The question is would a coach replace a successful starter? I have serious doubts that he would. It happens from time to time but its rare even when the starter is just adequate. If Cochran is the starter and he performs at least adequately, let alone very well, I doubt Boyle ever plays a meaningful down for UConn. Of course that is barring injury. Injuries can change the equation but they aren't really predictable unless you are palyign behind a George DeLeone coached line.

Reaction Score
You could do anything. The question is would a coach replace a successful starter? I have serious doubts that he would. It happens from time to time but its rare even when the starter is just adequate. If Cochran is the starter and he performs at least adequately, let alone very well, I doubt Boyle ever plays a meaningful down for UConn. Of course that is barring injury. Injuries can change the equation but they aren't really predictable unless you are palyign behind a George DeLeone coached line.

Cochrane is the returning starter. He did an outstanding job when he took over, and the team clearly rallied around him. The point is that you are asking the staff to do it now. If you think they might do it now, why in the world wouldn't they do it next year (if, in either case, they are comfortable that the team would be improved with someone else playing the position)?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To be fair, I still think Endres was pretty good. Too bad he got kicked out for smoking pot. Stupid drug testing rules. The only thing pot enhances your performance in is eating brownies.

Besides the point. Kids fail out, they get hurt, they transfer, they fall off... when you are on a 13-23 run worrying about who the quarterback will be 2-3 years from now is a bit of losing for the trees.

Reaction Score
Cochrane is the returning starter. He did an outstanding job when he took over, and the team clearly rallied around him. The point is that you are asking the staff to do it now. If you think they might do it now, why in the world wouldn't they do it next year (if, in either case, they are comfortable that the team would be improved with someone else playing the position)?
In case you missed it, the whole coaching staff changed after last season. The team was 3-9. If the team is 3-9 this year and he is horrible, of course the job will be open, but if it is on an upward trajectory, and Cochran is the quarterback, he will be the quarterback for the remainder of his career. By the way, I personally think Cochran deserves the #1 spot based on his performance last year. And my guess is that the "open competition" is only slightly more open than it was when Dan Orlovsky was a senior and Edsall decreed that there was open competition for the starting quarterback spot. I admit that I'm just guessing though on that situation.

Reaction Score
Boyle or Whitmer is going to have to stand out head and shoulders above Cochran to win the job. I doubt that happens. All things being relatively equal, why wouldn't you go with the hand who's performed the best under the bright lights? It's also much "safer" for Diaco to go with Casey.

Reaction Score
I will be very surprised if CC is not the starting quarterback. Poor practice was just bs . His on field performance speaks volume.

Reaction Score
Boyle or Whitmer is going to have to stand out head and shoulders above Cochran to win the job. I doubt that happens. All things being relatively equal, why wouldn't you go with the hand who's performed the best under the bright lights? It's also much "safer" for Diaco to go with Casey.

That's an interesting word choice. Does HCBD seem like a safe choice kinda guy? Probably not. But he does seem like a clear objectives kind of guy who is looking ahead to a vision of what he believes will ultimately be successful. I don't think he'll purposely put a guy out there who might hurt us in the near term, but he is certainly looking beyond this season in terms of building the program. He's already said that any of the three could run his offense so where does that leave us? In the dark pretty much.

Reaction Score
That's an interesting word choice. Does HCBD seem like a safe choice kinda guy? Probably not. But he does seem like a clear objectives kind of guy who is looking ahead to a vision of what he believes will ultimately be successful. I don't think he'll purposely put a guy out there who might hurt us in the near term, but he is certainly looking beyond this season in terms of building the program. He's already said that any of the three could run his offense so where does that leave us? In the dark pretty much.

The truth is that we have no idea what kind of coach Diaco is. He's said all the right things and has engaged the general public, but I still think he's going to be pragmatic about this. He knows there's less personal risk involved by going with Cochran. I don't buy for a second that evaluation of last year's game film is going to have no bearing on who the starter is. God I hope it does. I don't think Diaco's an idiot. If Boyle or Whitmer beat out Casey by a mile that's one thing. If nobody stands out I have a hard time seeing Diaco putting himself at risk by going with anyone other than Cochran.

Reaction Score
The truth is that we have no idea what kind of coach Diaco is. He's said all the right things and has engaged the general public, but I still think he's going to be pragmatic about this. He knows there's less personal risk involved by going with Cochran. I don't buy for a second that evaluation of last year's game film is going to have no bearing on who the starter is. God I hope it does. I don't think Diaco's an idiot. If Boyle or Whitmer beat out Casey by a mile that's one thing. If nobody stands out I have a hard time seeing Diaco putting himself at risk by going with anyone other than Cochran.

Here's your starter for the BYU game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5tro4AgvE

Reaction Score
That's all well and good, but neither Joseph nor Mack are on the team any more. ;)
I know you are joking but you needed to click the first link. There are two You tubes.
Here tiz again:

Reaction Score
Cochran has to be the guy . He showed the ability to super produce at game time when it matters. He has leadership skills and the "it" which probably does not show in practices. I think BD is being coy. I've never seen Whitmer come close to doing what Cochran displayed last year. The only negative is size, and even though BD seems to like size, that is one position where you have to go with play makers.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I believe he's sincerely committed to having an offense that doesn't take us out of games with turnovers. I also believe he's smart enough to use all the data points available, including last years film, in his decision making. Don't think last years film will be definitive though - all three played under vastly different circumstances; it wasn't a level playing field. Some time down the road, when UConn hires the boneyard to collectively coach the team, I'd love to participate (although I wouldn't have very high expectations). Until then, I'm not going to presume any HBCD decision is the wrong decision absent results.

Reaction Score
I think his comment about last years film was meant to tell players "I know you are better than what is on film" and you get a fresh start with me.

There is no way the staff can ignore what players did well last year by not looking at the last 3 games.

C

Chief00

Diaco has so far avoided that "easy"decision of naming Casey QB. I would submit he is using very different criteria than many posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom