Hoping by week's end... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hoping by week's end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've seen Whitmer in game conditions. He put up 16 points against Towson. Unless he had a huge growth spurt as a QB this off season..
If that's the measuring stick, Cochran wins hands down. Boyle had 8 INTs against 0 TDs. Lowest in college football.

Reaction Score
Actually, this quarterback selection, and to some extent the decision last year to play Boyle, could have some longer term impact on our lineup. I suspect that might be some of the impetus to convince Whitmer to come back this year. If you think Boyle has long term potential to be really good, but isn't ready as was painfully clear last year, and Whitmer is a solid stopgap, you can go with him and let Boyle and Cochran battle it out next year. But if Cochran establishes himself as #1 this season and has a solid performance over the course of the year, it becomes almost impossible to replace him next year even if you think Boyle might have more upside. Replacing an established starter isn't that easy for any coach and if you do it, you better be right. And next year we have the NC ?State transfer plus a Diaco recruit who will redshirt, but will enter the competition for 2016. If you're Boyle and Cochran gets the nod you have to wonder if you might not be better off at Delaware or Western Michigan or somewhere.

All that said, I like Whitmer and I have often wondered how he'd do with a competent offense around him, something that was sorely lacking the past 2 seasons. He has guts, he can throw the football, he can run a little and he has that gunslinger mentality that I like in quarterbacks, though he needs a little better judgement to go with it. And I like Boyle's potential. Big rangy quarterbacks with good arms are really good to have. He was horribly abused by the coaching staff last year, though and that hurt his future at UConn I suspect.

Reaction Score
Don't laugh but I know the mother of one of our former players (not CW) who wanted to do exactly that (actually to GDL bit if P got in the way should would have slugged him as well).
My guess is if you had a list of people who wanted to smack DeLeone it would go from Hartford to Hawaii starting in an easterly direction.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My guess is if you had a list of people who wanted to smack DeLeone it would go from Hartford to Hawaii starting in an easterly direction.

I would like to get in this line.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have to believe it will be Cochrane. The real question is whether HCBD thinks Whitmer is an adequate backup in case of injury to Casey. If so, maybe they put the red shirt on Boyle.

Reaction Score
I have to believe it will be Cochrane. The real question is whether HCBD thinks Whitmer is an adequate backup in case of injury to Casey. If so, maybe they put the red shirt on Boyle.
Maybe but what good does that do Boyle? If Casey establishes himself as the #1 guy, and by that I mean he continues to perform well under game conditions, what benefit does Boyle get from redshirting this year. It will be much tougher to win the job next year with Casey having a year as the go to guy and even tougher when he's a senior. to me this is make or break for Boyle, which is kind of strange in a way and unfortunate for him in a couple of ways. First that he came to UConn after BC changed coaches, then he lost out to a guy who wasn't really seen as a high level D1 guy coming out of high school.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Put me on the these guys are better than they showed, but aren't scaring anyone, so we better be able to run the ball, but I'll take whoever hangs on the ball list.

Which is Cochran. As much as I might have liked Whitmer, Seniors don't stop throwing INTs and if none are separating themselves, I'll take the younger guy.

If the line is decent, Whitmer is probably the best QB on the roster, but my definition of decent is pretty high.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
My gut tells me it will be Whitmer - just a hunch.

Diaco asked him to stay - he could have easily transfered to DII and played immediately. I dont think he asked him to stay to hold a clipboard.

And if that is the case the board will implode and explode - will be fun times!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe but what good does that do Boyle? If Casey establishes himself as the #1 guy, and by that I mean he continues to perform well under game conditions, what benefit does Boyle get from redshirting this year. It will be much tougher to win the job next year with Casey having a year as the go to guy and even tougher when he's a senior. to me this is make or break for Boyle, which is kind of strange in a way and unfortunate for him in a couple of ways. First that he came to UConn after BC changed coaches, then he lost out to a guy who wasn't really seen as a high level D1 guy coming out of high school.

It allows Boyle to be the starter for two years, that's what. CC is a junior, and if Boyle redshirts, next year he'll be a RS sophomore, then in his junior and senior years, he gets the keys to the car, probably with more talent around him.

Reaction Score
It allows Boyle to be the starter for two years, that's what. CC is a junior, and if Boyle redshirts, next year he'll be a RS sophomore, then in his junior and senior years, he gets the keys to the car, probably with more talent around him.
Nope, Cochran is a redshirt Sophomore, so if he has a good season, he gets two more. That leave one RS senior year for Boyle, with two or more Diaco-specific recruits nipping at his heals for playing time.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Yeah. It would really suck if Casey went out and performed well. Big problem for the coach. Imagine if Casey got to a bowl game and won??? More problems

Are you stupid or what?

Reaction Score
If freescooter's post was "2 + 2=4"

then sd's response was "5 x 10 = infinity?? Are you stupid or what?"

Reaction Score
Yeah. It would really suck if Casey went out and performed well. Big problem for the coach. Imagine if Casey got to a bowl game and won??? More problems

Are you stupid or what?

He was clearly speaking from Boyle's perspective. You're the one being douchey here.

Reaction Score

Are you stupid or what?

wtf?

Reaction Score

Are you stupid or what?
Wow, somebody needs to eat his bran flakes. The point is that this is could well be a make or break year for Boyle.

Reaction Score
Why is it a fact on this board that if you win a job this year, heck, even this week, that it is your job until you graduate? I'd like to see TB redshirt, for a lot of reasons. I'd like to see CC perform well this year. I think both of those benefit the people and the program. And neither of those means CC starts next year.

Reaction Score
Why is it a fact on this board that if you win a job this year, heck, even this week, that it is your job until you graduate? I'd like to see TB redshirt, for a lot of reasons. I'd like to see CC perform well this year. I think both of those benefit the people and the program. And neither of those means CC starts next year.
Yeah, they probably do. When was the last time a starting quarterback who played well was replaced when he wasn't injured? Doesn't happen very often. Coaches might say th ejob is open, but it usually isn't. Lots of reasons why. among them, it is good to have predictability, it is good to have a guy with game experience which you can't simulate no matter how you try, especially if he plays well. And it is hugely risky to replace an established starter. And most coaches are decidedly risk averse. Heck, they even have to have a card that tells them when to go for 2 points. Replacing the established starter risks messing with team chemistry, dividing the team into the Hernadezes and the Boneses. And if it doesn't work out, a coach can lose more than face.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they probably do. When was the last time a starting quarterback who played well was replaced when he wasn't injured? Doesn't happen very often. Coaches might say th ejob is open, but it usually isn't. Lots of reasons why. among them, it is good to have predictability, it is good to have a guy with game experience which you can't simulate no matter how you try, especially if he plays well. And it is hugely risky to replace an established starter. And most coaches are decidedly risk averse. Heck, they even have to have a card that tells them when to go for 2 points. Replacing the established starter risks messing with team chemistry, dividing the team into the Hernadezes and the Boneses. And if it doesn't work out, a coach can lose more than face.

Sometimes people worry too much about redshirts and not enough about continuity in the current season. We don't know what may happen and we need to be flexible about things like injury in the current season. Develop the talent you have and make your Q's the best they can be. By the end of the year we may need everybody and the incoming recruits may be in high demand. If not, all the better for us, we'll redshirt a few.

Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
My gut tells me it will be Whitmer - just a hunch. Diaco asked him to stay - he could have easily transfered to DII and played immediately. I dont think he asked him to stay to hold a clipboard. And if that is the case the board will implode and explode - will be fun times!!

My gut is that Diaco wants to redshirt Boyle and he needs two serviceable QBs for this season. We needed Whitmer for depth. I don't think it is any indication that Whitmer is the starter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My favorite part about the constant conversations about who will be quarterback 3 years in the future is that not a single conversation since 2001 would have ended up playing out in any fashion like the predictions.

UConn has had three transfer quarterback since then and we've seen the quarterback of the future like Box, McCummings, Endres, Hernandez, Lagow and others fizzle
out or never make any contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek