Hoping by week's end... | The Boneyard

Hoping by week's end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We'll know who are #1 QB is on the depth chart. This part of the pre-season has me itching for news about the team. They're in the lab right now, perfecting what they are trying to accomplish on the field in a little over 2 weeks.

Looking forward to it guys.... Hopefully we get some more surprises at other spots.. Some frosh stepping up and jumping into the 2 deep.

Reaction Score
We'll know who are #1 QB is on the depth chart. This part of the pre-season has me itching for news about the team. They're in the lab right now, perfecting what they are trying to accomplish on the field in a little over 2 weeks.

Looking forward to it guys.... Hopefully we get some more surprises at other spots.. Some frosh stepping up and jumping into the 2 deep.

I think we may have to wait a tad longer. We'll know for sure by the week before the game.

And given the way that Diaco is approaching the QB position, the competition will continue into the season. "The starter" for the opener may not turn out to be "the guy."

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think we may have to wait a tad longer. We'll know for sure by the week before the game.

And given the way that Diaco is approaching the QB position, the competition will continue into the season. "The starter" for the opener may not turn out to be "the guy."

I agree. I think he likes Whitmer...but is hedging his bets because he is concerned about turnovers. He likes Whitmer's feet and arm. I think if Whitmer succeeds, we don't have a 2 QB system any more. If he struggles, Casey gets more PT. I would be surprised if Boyle gets the nod because BD keeps talking about how young he is.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I get the feeling that we're going to go back to being a run-first type of offense. If that's the case, I can see Whitmer being the guy to start the season. He really needs to cut back on the turnovers though. We can't be a run-first, ball control type of offense with careless throws that lead to INTs. If Whitmer retains his knack for turnovers and average to below average decision making, then Cochran will get the nod.

My guess is that Cochran's poor practices are weighing him down the depth chart. I hope he gets a crack at game time PT.

Dooley

Reaction Score
You still have the option to redshirt him, too.

I think red-shirting Boyle is in the best interest of the program. He might not like it but it would create a year of eligibility separation from Cochran and give him a proper year of practice and preparation. And of course if there is a wave of injuries, he's a great 3rd string guy to have on the depth chart!

Reaction Score
I recall HCBD suggesting we would know the answer by week's end, as my recollection is that he wanted the QB to be in position 2 weeks before opening night.

Reaction Score
I recall HCBD suggesting we would know the answer by week's end, as my recollection is that he wanted the QB to be in position 2 weeks before opening night.

I know he has made a comment about this but I can't remember where to find it. He has to make the decision before the final week, so there's that.

Reaction Score

That's kinda what I was eluding to bro... I remember HCBD talking about this thru the media reads....week 2 will be in the books by this weekend.

Reaction Score
I dont know how it cant be CC. Diaco has said his #1 objective is controlling the ball. For all of Whitmer's strengths, turnovers have not been one. He has quick enough feet, a strong enough arm, but his decision-making inevitably leads to bad sacks or trying to thread a needle. I want TB to regain the lost year, and likely shaken confidence. With a young OL, 2 Sr. WRs, lack of depth at TE and unproven backs, having a guy who has confidence and can make quick, accurate reads, I feel CC is our best option going in to the year.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I know we go through this "do we red shirt" him discussion every year. If Boyle is the best QB for the job, he won't be red shirted. The only way he is red shirted is if CC and CW are better. They won't worry about getting a year between him and Casey.

This is a short term business....we all talk about how important it is that UConn gets better fast. BD isn't thinking who will be his starting QB 3 years from now. He wants the best QB to start versus BYU. It's a waste of time projecting out who your starting QB will be 3 years from now. BD could be fired...or be a head coach at ND by then.

If Boyle red shirts the only reason why will be because he is not the best QB right now to lead the team.

Reaction Score
Has a depth chart been posted? I keep seeing references to it but can't find one on uconnhuskies.com

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My feeling is that Boyle would have to be head and shoulders above the other two in order to not be Redshirted, let alone start. All things being equal (and it sounds like they are), the choice is between Cochran and Whitmer.

Remember though that Redshirts are not "awarded" until after the season. The plan may be to redshirt, but injuries have a way of ruining the best of best laid plans.

Reaction Score
I've seen Whitmer in game conditions. He put up 16 points against Towson. Unless he had a huge growth spurt as a QB this off season.......

Reaction Score
I've seen Whitmer in game conditions. He put up 16 points against Towson. Unless he had a huge growth spurt as a QB this off season..

Hey, you never know what a year's growth, maturity-wise, does for someone... ?

Dooley

Reaction Score
In fairness to EVERYONE on the roster, I don't have a problem with seeing what each player can do under proper conditioning and coaching. I'm willing to wipe the slate clean on every player from the PP/GDL years. Those two nitwits' ineptitude can't be overstated enough. Let's see what some of the guys can do now that they've had a full offseason of Coach Balis and two camps under good coaching.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Desmond Conner‏@desmondconner
Diaco on QBs: No one player has clearly separated. Each one has had their moments of positive and negatives. We can operate O with any of 3

Reading between the lines BD is saying each of them has the physical skills to run the offense UConn will employ.

It's leadership and command of the huddle that will set the depth chart.

Reaction Score
If everything is equal like Diaco claims then go with the guy who has proven he can get it done under game conditions against a real pass rush. Only one guy last year attacked the blitz the other two collapsed against the blitz.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If everything is equal like Diaco claims then go with the guy who has proven he can get it done under game conditions against a real pass rush. Only one guy last year attacked the blitz the other two collapsed against the blitz.

Only one guy had the benefit of competent offensive line coaching and 4 of those guys are gone. Looks like They're back to evaluation square one.

Reaction Score

Aside from taking pot shots at 2 kids, you really need to let your man crush of CC go. Let's have the winner be the guy who rises above the other 2 and not try to find a winner by pushing the other 2 guys down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom