Hope we don't lose Ollie to a p5 program... | The Boneyard

Hope we don't lose Ollie to a p5 program...

Reaction Score
Could be a hot commodity if this continues...
1. He's respected (able to get NBA players like Napier stop by in the middle of season and talk about his time with the coach.)
2. He's able to identify and develop talent. (Whaley and Carlton are going to be studs. Diarra and Polley solid contributors. Note: Not all coaches can develop big men.)
3. Despite having a very young team, he doesn't get out coached. (Dunleavy has NBa experience and Dawkins has Duke pedigree.)
4. His team is on a three game winning streak and continues to improve.
5. He ignores the noise

Hope we can keep him in the program...

Enjoy the weekend everyone

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Look at his avatar.

He went with the wrong guy.

latest

Reaction Score
1. He's respected (able to get NBA players like Napier stop by in the middle of season and talk about his time with the coach.)
2. He's able to identify and develop talent. (Whaley and Carlton are going to be studs. Diarra and Polley solid contributors. Note: Not all coaches can develop big men.)
3. Despite having a very young team, he doesn't get out coached. (Dunleavy has NBa experience and Dawkins has Duke pedigree.)
5. He ignores the noise

So beating UCF and Tulane is now the bar? Yeah!
I would not feel too upset should Ollie find an oppty at a P5 school.

Reaction Score
5. He ignores the noise

Put the bottle/pipe down bro!

Reaction Score

There are a lot of Providence dewshes nibbling on the reef of this board... and they aren't happy with their own season..

I'd go to their board and hype Cooley to the P5, but... I don't mind if Cooley stays there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And you guys kept saying my plan to get rid of him that way wouldn’t work. I think he’s still well thought of in the NBA.

Reaction Score
And you guys kept saying my plan to get rid of him that way wouldn’t work. I think he’s still well thought of in the NBA.
He is. Just not at this pay scale. Ollie has been more businesslike lately and he won't leave any money on the table. Nor should he.

Reaction Score
5. He ignores the noise

Are u high

Reaction Score
ALERT, level 5 troll alert!
If troll status is earned by the following, I'm honored...been called worst:
30 yr fan of the program
3 yr season ticket holder as a student in the late 80-early 90's
UCONN graduate
8 big east tournaments
5 road trips to NCCA tournaments with UCONN on the card
Have thrown a couple of punches against rival fans in younger foolish days

Want to see this program succeed as much as anyone.
Every program has some setbacks (this program has definitely had some in the past couple)
Changing the coach like changing underwear is not the solution.
Glad we didn't ditch JC in early 90's. after making elite 8 in 90, we were a low level tourney team for the next 3 yrs.
This program will be back....think Ollie is the right guy...players could have packed it in...they haven't.
Think the next 8 -10 weeks will be exciting.
Very bullish on this team over the next couple of years...
Enjoy the rebuild...

pj

Reaction Score
30 yr fan of the program
UCONN graduate
8 big east tournaments

Every program has some setbacks (this program has definitely had some in the past couple)
Glad we didn't ditch JC in early 90's. after making elite 8 in 90, we were a low level tourney team for the next 3 yrs.
This program will be back....think Ollie is the right guy...players could have packed it in...they haven't.
Enjoy the rebuild...

Like your spirit, but have to say: There are times when changing underwear is the solution.

Reaction Score
30 yr fan of the program
UCONN graduate
8 big east tournaments

Enjoy the rebuild...

Hi thank you for such a good post. I have been a big Ollie fan since day 1 but even I started to rethink things after the Auburn game--I guess weve all been spoiled for a long time. The lesson I learned is we have to accept some ups and downs until KO gets to fully implement what he wants to do. Id like to see more fans take a step back and consider giving KO space and time. Youre dead on too--we have a bunch of exciting young players who WILL stay with the program 3-4 years. As they get older we will improve--maybe quite a bit. Were a few seconds away from winning 4 in a row. With the zone implementation we can beat anyone in our league--especially if we pass the ball! Im on team KO--and Id like to see fans step back and rethink negative thoughts.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm getting to the point where I can't tell who's trolling whom anymore. All I can say is that I'm in Ollie's corner and have been the entire time.

There is an often repeated idea out there that he began struggling after winning a national title, especially in terms of x's and o's. It's silly. You don't spend 13 years under the coaches he spent it with and pick up nothing, especially after having shown it in the tournament against some of the best college coaches.

Recruiting misses? Sure. Injuries and some bad luck? Absolutely.

Wins come only after players grow into a system, not before it. There has been growth in the team this year, as there was last year. Our youth is no longer quite as youthful anymore, and players are understanding their roles better. I honestly believe that he's the right coach for us, now and in the future.

In trying times, you can't stop trying...

Reaction Score
So beating UCF and Tulane is now the bar? Yeah!
I would not feel too upset should Ollie find an oppty at a P5 school.
The funny thing is that Ollie has a better chance of landing a P5 coaching job than UConn has of getting an invite to a P5 conference. So if Ollie ever does get a P5 job, then by extension, We as UConn fans can feel like we made it to the big time.

Reaction Score
We’re a 31% 3 point shooting team and in general a bad shooting team. KO put that together and it keeps up from competing at the highest levels against good teams. He owns that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We’re a 31% 3 point shooting team and in general a bad shooting team. KO put that together and it keeps up from competing at the highest levels against good teams. He owns that.

He owns whether or not players know how to get open looks. He doesn't own whether or not they make the shots. No coach does...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Of course a coach does. You aren't just handed a roster and told to make it work, as a D1 coach you seek out the players and need to make it all work.

And yet you'll be the first person in line to say he won a title because Napier, Boatright, Giffey, and Daniels all won it for him.

You don't get to have it both ways. All of those players improved their games under Ollie. But at the end of the day, the players are the ones who have to make the shots...

Reaction Score
And yet you'll be the first person in line to say he won a title because Napier, Boatright, Giffey, and Daniels all won it for him.

You don't get to have it both ways. All of those players improved their games under Ollie. But at the end of the day, the players are the ones who have to make the shots...
No, I've never done that. Calhoun recruited those players but it was all Ollie taking them to the promised land. Ollie in total charge of recruiting his own kids and running the show has been problematic. As a D1 coach, it's all on you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom