Hope we don't lose Ollie to a p5 program... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hope we don't lose Ollie to a p5 program...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No, I've never done that. Calhoun recruited those players but it was all Ollie taking them to the promised land. Ollie in total charge of recruiting his own kids and running the show has been problematic. As a D1 coach, it's all on you.

Again, wrong. Unless you're telling me that Ollie told those four players to miss more shots in the year before the title. Same four players. And their shooting percentages (and 3 point percentages) improved noticeably.

Did Ollie get magically smarter the next year? Was he just dumber the year prior?

Players have to make their open shots. The coach can't make them for the players. Period.

Reaction Score
Of course a coach does. You aren't just handed a roster and told to make it work, as a D1 coach you seek out the players and need to make it all work.
That's the toughest job a coach has. Finding players that fit and contribute immediately. 20 yrs ago, you could expect most players to enter the program, learn the system, and contribute for two -three years. The life cycle was 4-5 for most, 3 for elite superstars. In today's era, kids demand to come in and play immediately. In some cases, this doesn't even work for a player like Luke Jackson (think of how different we'd look with him holding down a forward slot.

Think this concept hit Ollie hard last couple of years. Think is is why he's committing to lesser players that want to be part of the program. Flash back to last April, there were concerns if we could dress 10 to scrimmage.

Will be the first to say replace Ollie when players tune him out or he gets truly out coached. Eyeball test hadn't proved that last year.

Side note: where was Williams yesterday?

Reaction Score
Ollie also recruited and helped develop them under Calhoun as an assistant.
I'm aware of how long Ollie has been at Uconn, when you're the head coach they are considered your kid's. Nobody is saying Vital, Whaley, and Carlton are Ricky Moore's players.

Reaction Score
No, I've never done that. Calhoun recruited those players but it was all Ollie taking them to the promised land. Ollie in total charge of recruiting his own kids and running the show has been problematic. As a D1 coach, it's all on you.
Ollie recruited Brimah, Brimah made the biggest play in the 2014 championship run. Does Coach Calhoun gets credit for that too?

Reaction Score
We should save this thread. I remember when it was it was rumored that Ollie was going to go to then Lakers or OKC 5 years ago. The board was on meltdown and many board members were put on suicide watch. . LOL Now some of those same posters want him gone at all costs. If and when Ollie moves on, let's see who we end up with and where the program goes.

Reaction Score
That's the toughest job a coach has. Finding players that fit and contribute immediately. 20 yrs ago, you could expect most players to enter the program, learn the system, and contribute for two -three years. The life cycle was 4-5 for most, 3 for elite superstars. In today's era, kids demand to come in and play immediately. In some cases, this doesn't even work for a player like Luke Jackson (think of how different we'd look with him holding down a forward slot.

Think this concept hit Ollie hard last couple of years. Think is is why he's committing to lesser players that want to be part of the program. Flash back to last April, there were concerns if we could dress 10 to scrimmage.

Will be the first to say replace Ollie when players tune him out or he gets truly out coached. Eyeball test hadn't proved that last year.

Side note: where was Williams yesterday?
Ollie isn't committing to lesser players now, it's just where our recruiting is right now based off of results. We start winning again and we will start getting more highly ranked recruits again.

Luke Jackson played for Ernie Kent at Oregon.

Reaction Score
Ollie recruited Brimah, Brimah made the biggest play in the 2014 championship run. Does Coach Calhoun gets credit for that too?
Obviously not, Brimah was never recruited by Calhoun and never played for Calhoun.

Why such a dumb question?

Reaction Score
Ollie isn't committing to lesser players now, it's just where our recruiting is right now based off of results. We start winning again and we will start getting more highly ranked recruits again.

Luke Jackson played for Ernie Kent at Oregon.
Can't remember too many seasons where pretty much had recruiting class wrapped up in early October...if i'm wrong, my bad....

Reaction Score
Every opponent we play has at least 1 player and usually more who can knock down the 3 at a pretty high percentage, 40 0r better. Why don’t we have one? And BTW it wasn’t Gilbert. It was a question mark at the end of last seasonlooking forward, they had time to do something.

Reaction Score

Bingo.

2012-14: JC's recruits --> KO's players. Good.
2014-18: KO's recruits --> KO's players. Awful.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Of course a coach does. You aren't just handed a roster and told to make it work, as a D1 coach you seek out the players and need to make it all work.
Maybe he coaches defense first like his mentor.
Larrier is a wonderful shooter, you want 5 guys on the floor who defend like him?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Every opponent we play has at least 1 player and usually more who can knock down the 3 at a pretty high percentage, 40 0r better. Why don’t we have one? And BTW it wasn’t Gilbert. It was a question mark at the end of last seasonlooking forward, they had time to do something.
Larrier shooting 41% from 3

Why do people just make stuff up now?

pj

Reaction Score
Bingo.

2012-14: JC's recruits --> KO's players. Good.
2014-18: KO's recruits --> KO's players. Awful.

So you think he can coach but hasn't been able to recruit the right players. Surely that is a learnable skill? Especially when you've brought a renowned recruiter onto the staff?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s a great coach. Not even in 2014. I think he’s an above average recruiter. I think he changed when he became a single man. I think it affects his recruiting, and has affected his commitment and ability to impose adult discipline on his team.

The situation remains unchanged. The old Ollie was a young coach with a lot to learn who has great passion and drive and could keep improving. The Ollie of the last two years was a different guy. Disengaged, arrogant, and unwilling to change. If KO can revert to form, I think that’s best for UConn. If he’s going to stay on the path he’s been one we need to move on. But I've always hoped he’d realize the error of his ways.

Reaction Score
We should save this thread. I remember when it was it was rumored that Ollie was going to go to then Lakers or OKC 5 years ago. The board was on meltdown and many board members were put on suicide watch. . LOL Now some of those same posters want him gone at all costs. If and when Ollie moves on, let's see who we end up with and where the program goes.
Let’s not fool
ourselves that red hot interest from NBA teams may have actually been great work by his agent and or PR people to get these rumors out there and force UConn’s hand into lucrative extensions. This is big business and can’t be ruled out.

Reaction Score
Ollie's a pretty good recruiter. Even the last few years, our recruit rankings are right there with a lot of good teams. And truth be told, it hasn't taken that much of a hit at all, really.

The problem is how he coaches and develops the players he recruits. Again - i'd love to see this team with a different coaching staff to have a crack to figure it out. I think people'd be surprised.

Reaction Score
Let’s not fool
ourselves that red hot interest from NBA teams may have actually been great work by his agent and or PR people to get these rumors out there and force UConn’s hand into lucrative extensions. This is big business and can’t be ruled out.
a 13 year NBA point guard vet fresh off of national championship in his second year coaching. the NBA coaching interest at the time is easily justifiable, bruh

Reaction Score
Ollie is getting a lot of heat regarding his alleged shortcomings developing players. How loud would the criticism be if Ollie had been able
to recuit/keep Ashton Langford and Wenyen Gabriel these past two years only to have them performing as noted below?

Gabriel is averaging 23.5 minutes per game, while racking up only 6.5 points and 5.6 rebounds per game, and with those stats Ollie would be getting torn up here. These are Gabriel's sophomore stats, so, I guess Calipari hasn't developed him.

How about the job Ed Cooley is doing developing Ashton-Langford? His stats are 17.9 minutes, 5.5 points per game, shooting 37.9% on twos, 10.5% on threes, 37.2% on free throws, 2.4 assists with 2 turnovers per game. So maybe he isn't as good as the rating bureaus said or Ed Cooley can't develop players.

Let's hope the team is growing as fast as they've seemed to the last several games before writing Ollie off.

Reaction Score
Larrier shooting 41% from 3

Why do people just make stuff up now?
We shoot 31 % from 3. I admit that Larrier is up so far this year from his past (when he was closer to 30%) but when the team is heading into the season lacking in this area KO did not get the 3 point shooting that we needed. Maybe he thought we had enough. So far that’s not the case.

Reaction Score
Results matter in coaching.

Reaction Score
So you think he can coach but hasn't been able to recruit the right players. Surely that is a learnable skill? Especially when you've brought a renowned recruiter onto the staff?
Don't be so sure it is a learnable skill. He has done fine identifying talent. It is the soft skills and how the kids fit together that he has been failing at identifying. It takes wisdom and a feel for people to do that. That may have been Calhoun's biggest strength. It is also huge for Geno. Same for Popavich. Brad Stevens has shown it at both levels.

Reactions: pj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom