Hope we don't lose Ollie to a p5 program... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hope we don't lose Ollie to a p5 program...

pj

Reaction Score
Don't be so sure it is a learnable skill. He has done fine identifying talent. It is the soft skills and how the kids fit together that he has been failing at identifying. It takes wisdom and a feel for people to do that. That may have been Calhoun's biggest strength. It is also huge for Geno. Same for Popavich. Brad Stevens has shown it at both levels.

We shall see. Though some people will never be elite at a particular skill, they can get better; also, coaching is a team game, if the head coach is not good at something he needs to hire and delegate to an assistant who is great at it. Possibly Chill has the skill that KO lacks. It may be that KO's previous staff, however good Glenn Miller may have been as an individual, didn't complement him and didn't excel where KO was weak. Hopefully his new staff is a better fit.

pj

Reaction Score
Ollie is getting a lot of heat regarding his alleged shortcomings developing players. How loud would the criticism be if Ollie had been able
to recuit/keep Ashton Langford and Wenyen Gabriel these past two years only to have them performing as noted below?

Gabriel is averaging 23.5 minutes per game, while racking up only 6.5 points and 5.6 rebounds per game, and with those stats Ollie would be getting torn up here. These are Gabriel's sophomore stats, so, I guess Calipari hasn't developed him.

How about the job Ed Cooley is doing developing Ashton-Langford? His stats are 17.9 minutes, 5.5 points per game, shooting 37.9% on twos, 10.5% on threes, 37.2% on free throws, 2.4 assists with 2 turnovers per game. So maybe he isn't as good as the rating bureaus said or Ed Cooley can't develop players.

Let's hope the team is growing as fast as they've seemed to the last several games before writing Ollie off.

I've posted before that losing MAL might be a blessing in disguise, Gilbert and Akinjo will be a better PG combo next year than Gilbert and MAL. However, I sure wish we had Gabriel. 6.5 points and 5.6 rebounds in 23.5 minutes (11.0 points and 9.5 rebounds per 40 minutes) are not stellar stats, but they're not below average for high DI forwards. Carlton, Diarra, and Whaley are not better than that.

Or are you comparing Gabriel to his recruiting rating (#14 on 247sports) and saying he's underperforming that? Granted. If he were here Ollie would be criticized for underdeveloping him, I agree.

Reaction Score
a 13 year NBA point guard vet fresh off of national championship in his second year coaching. the NBA coaching interest at the time is easily justifiable, bruh
It is but the last extension was much less justifiable bruh. My point was, it’s perfectly conceivable some of this interest was created by KO’s Camp to get UConn to up the ante.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom