Hoopgurlz Updated Rankings! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hoopgurlz Updated Rankings!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nurse was in the 30s and see how that worked out....
I didn't think you were correct off the top of my head (thought she was in the 10-15 range), but I looked it up and you nailed it - she was 33 per HG. I checked Prospects Nation and she was not listed there. Not sure if she was on Blue Star or ASGR. It's substantially harder to rank a foreign player especially if they never play in the US against other top players to get good comparisons. But yeah, she turned out OK! ;)

Reaction Score
Has it ever occurred to anyone that if say a player ( such as Fudd ) is so good at this early a stage in their career they might just go pro instead of going to college? They could go play over seas right out of high school. Thats where the big money is anyway. I think a US player, who was not even at Fudds level has already done that. That is probably what DD should have done.

Reaction Score
Has it ever occurred to anyone that if say a player ( such as Fudd ) is so good at this early a stage in their career they might just go pro instead of going to college? They could go play over seas right out of high school. Thats where the big money is anyway. I think a US player, who was not even at Fudds level has already done that. That is probably what DD should have done.

I can only recall one American player who did that, and she was a Rutgers kid. Was it Epiphany Prince? The player had already graduated early, took off her senior year to play in Europe, then returned for the WNBA summer season.

Reaction Score
UConn with noted interest in or scholarship offers for....

2019 = 1) Haley Jones, 2) Jordan Horston, 3) Aliyah Boston, 33) Aubrey Griffin

2020 = 1) Paige Bueckers, 2) Cameron Brink, 3) Hailey Van Lith, 6) Sarah Andrews 7) Hannah Gusters, 12) Natalija Marshall

2021) = 1) Azzi Fudd, 2) Amari DeBerry, 3) Olivia Miles, 8) Brooke Demetre? 22) Jillian Hollingshead

I believe Hollingshead will shoot up theses rankings later.

Laeticia Amihere? Did she drop off our radar? I thought she was highly sought after by UConn?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can only recall one American player who did that, and she was a Rutgers kid. Was it Epiphany Prince? The player had already graduated early, took off her senior year to play in Europe, then returned for the WNBA summer season.
Piph left Rutgers early to play pro ball in Europe. There may have been financial need. I don't think she had graduated early. She would have been WNBA-eligible if she had graduated early, right?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Long long over due. @donalddoowop quite a jump by your girl Blackwell from 22 all the way up to number 8. Aubrey Griffin also an impressive jump from 55 up to 33 .
Per an article in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch about Sophie Cunningham, Mizzou, who was eliminated in the NCAA first round by Florida Gulf Coast last season, has implemented a faster paced offense. They will press for 40 minutes and have smaller lineups, which will force opposing post players to guard Cunningham on the perimeter. They plan to shoot and shoot often. They are implementing the Florida Gulf Coast offense. Those changes may be attractive enough to cause Blackwell to commit to Mizzou. I can't post a link because I don't know how.

Reaction Score
Per an article in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch about Sophie Cunningham, Mizzou, who was eliminated in the NCAA first round by Florida Gulf Coast last season, has implemented a faster paced offense. They will press for 40 minutes and have smaller lineups, which will force opposing post players to guard Cunningham on the perimeter. They plan to shoot and shoot often. They are implementing the Florida Gulf Coast offense. Those changes may be attractive enough to cause Blackwell to commit to Mizzou. I can't post a link because I don't know how.

Hochman: Mizzou's Sophie Cunningham is a star on and off the court

Reaction Score
Piph left Rutgers early to play pro ball in Europe. There may have been financial need. I don't think she had graduated early. She would have been WNBA-eligible if she had graduated early, right?

I don't think so. I think you may only be drafted with your college class, so no early entrance, even with an early college degree. Have I got that right?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Laeticia Amihere? Did she drop off our radar? I thought she was highly sought after by UConn?

Forgot about her but, yes, it feels like she's lower on the priority list now. Three of her final five schools have been reported based on visits.

Reaction Score
no Decharme, no Destiny Adams and no Poffenbarger ranked in 2021 class.........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Forgot about her but, yes, it feels like she's lower on the priority list now. Three of her final five schools have been reported based on visits.
I hope UConn has not forgotten about her.

Reaction Score

is it that or just a lack of public communication...........I thought UConn was going to get one of her remaining visits

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz has updated their rankings!

Long long over due.

Looking at ESPN HOOPGURLZ (even though I dislike anything ESPN)

ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings are done by Dan Olson, of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR).

Olson updates the CGBR rankings almost weekly, based on evaluations from tournaments he attends and players he sees. I tracked rankings for Duke commits Jaida Patrick and Jennifer Ezeh on CGBR over the summer, and their respective rankings changed at least five different times from June through August.

For the last 5 years, ESPN has published Olson's rankings 2-4 times per year (depending on the year). These are snapshot rankings, at different points in time (specifically, the date(s) of publication). CGBR is a subscription service with specific evaluations of several hundred players per class, whose rankings vary throughout the years (as I noted).

Reaction Score
ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings are done by Dan Olson, of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR).

Olson updates the CGBR rankings almost weekly, based on evaluations from tournaments he attends and players he sees. I tracked rankings for Duke commits Jaida Patrick and Jennifer Ezeh on CGBR over the summer, and their respective rankings changed at least five different times from June through August.

For the last 5 years, ESPN has published Olson's rankings 2-4 times per year (depending on the year). These are snapshot rankings, at different points in time (specifically, the date(s) of publication). CGBR is a subscription service with specific evaluations of several hundred players per class, whose rankings vary throughout the years (as I noted).

it's amazing what a good or bad weekend can do for a recruit's rankings................

Reaction Score
I don't think so. I think you may only be drafted with your college class, so no early entrance, even with an early college degree. Have I got that right?

There’s no requirement to graduate. If a player went through the NCAA, then they are eligible to be drafted in the year they turn 22. If no NCAA, then they are eligible in the year they turn 20.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From Wikipedia, quoting the WNBA site/rules:

The WNBA "requires players to be at least 22, to have completed their college eligibility, to have graduated from a four-year college or to be four years removed from high school."

If Piph graduated or completed the academic requirements for graduation, she could have gone to the W. It makes no sense to punish the rare player who is a pro prospect and completes the academic requirements early.

Reaction Score
Some big drops:

JaMya Mingo Young (Mississippi State) 38 - 98

Lanetta Williams (Memphis) 36 - 80

Also:
Makenna Marisa (Holds possibly the only Baylor offer currently out in 2019) is 59 after not even being in database.

Esmery Martinez (Mississippi State) didn’t make top 100

Reaction Score
She has just been hurt and not playing so not in the limelight. I'm sure UConn has not forgotten.

Reaction Score

No. You have to be a certain age at a certain time. Not sure exactly what but for example...Collier could have entered the draft this past year

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No. You have to be a certain age at a certain time. Not sure exactly what but for example...Collier could have entered the draft this past year
I think it's turning 22 in the calendar year.

newsincerity

New Sincerity
Reaction Score
no Decharme, no Destiny Adams and no Poffenbarger ranked in 2021 class....

I might be wrong, but I don't think Haley Jones, now #1, was not ranked in their initial Top 25 either. Then with Prospects Nation, Haley started out around #24 then #14 and now #1.

Then in 2017, Evina Westbrook I'm pretty sure was unranked when they released their first top 25 and similarly climbed her way to a consensus #2 behind Megan Walker by most rankings.

I use these two examples because I don't think they were unranked early on because they had not been seen enough, but rather improved and perhaps took extra viewings to appreciate.

On the other hand, a kid like Leilani Kapinus out of Wisconsin who debuts at #9 for c/o 2020 might not have been seen enough (or at all) to be ranked in the previous releases.

Speaking of Leilani Kapinus....wowza! Electrifying athlete who hustles like a bat out of hell! When I imagine how Marion Jones looked like on a basketball court, it looks like the Leilani Kapinus highlights I'm seeing.

Last edited:

newsincerity

New Sincerity
Reaction Score
Nice to see three girls from Cali in the top 10. Seems like California used to average about 3 top 10 players per year but now states like Texas, George, & Ohio seem to churn out more elite recruits.

Also, I thought I read here that the top Californian, Rayah Marshall at #4, had already received some interest from UConn? She plays for Cal Storm which was Taurasi's old club. 6'3" long athletic with guard/wing skills.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Something tells me if #1, #2 AND #3 sign for the Huskies there will be a rolling of many eyes from South Bend, to Knoxville, to Palo Alto, to Columbus and right on down to Columbia where the eyes may roll so hard that they get stuck.. haha

You’ll probably be able to hear the eyes being rolled.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I didn't think you were correct off the top of my head (thought she was in the 10-15 range), but I looked it up and you nailed it - she was 33 per HG. I checked Prospects Nation and she was not listed there. Not sure if she was on Blue Star or ASGR. It's substantially harder to rank a foreign player especially if they never play in the US against other top players to get good comparisons. But yeah, she turned out OK! ;)
I believe ASGR had her at #14. I don't believe Bluestar does (or did) Internationals. PN had her at #1 on their International list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom