Hoopgurlz updated 2019 rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hoopgurlz updated 2019 rankings

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't be so cynical about the ratings. Some very hard working people behind these ratings. The ratings are subjective, start by trying to understand the philosophy behind the rating.

Taylor also made the USA basketball U16 team and played well.

Yup. Very aware of that as a lot of us very same posters were sharing input and comments during the tourney in Argentina :cool:

Dan O. had another rating between now and then and that's where she dropped to the 40's. To be honest, I was looking for a mid-course correction, but not this high this fast.. Maybe because LI Lutheran had kind of an off-year for them (16-7) and lost a few players, one to transfer (Jaida Patrick, just committed to Duke). Celeste picked it up to 20+per game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
First look notices of falling players:

Kylee Watson from #1 to #13.

Anaya Peoples from #5 to #19.

I can't remember where Aijha Blackwell was on ESPN but she's at #22 now after starring in Dallas last week.

Now this is where I scratch my head a bit. Dan Olson was citing players who helped lead their teams to championships in this cover article. Yet....

- Anaya Peoples, Class of 2019, leads her HS team to a Class C State Championship in Illinois while being honored as a First Team All-Stater by USA Today. She drops from #15 to #19, continuing a slide down the rankings which our colleague Orangutan noted over on the Bench.

Alli Campbell, Class of 2020, leads her HS team to a Class Championship in Pennsylvania while being honored as a First Team All-Stater by USA Today. Yet she goes from #19 to #15.

Huh? Considering Dan oversees this stuff with something of an iron fist, you'd hope for some degree of consistency.

Maybe it's the individual scoring average? Who knows. Ms. Campbell did score the vast majority of her team's points while Peoples did what she had to do to help her team win on any given day. Score one day, rebound another.

Charlie's point above about the star ratings reminds of a what a college coach once said. If he looked at a clean sheet and saw a certain number of stars, that was good enough for him.....to then go make notes for himself and his team. Stay tuned.

p.s. Thought on Watson. I saw her once this winter and she was kind of doing anything and everything for her HS team. I actually liked a lot of the development in the paint. Maybe she needs a tournament to start rounding into top-level AAU form?
Just a thought....

Reaction Score
First look notices of falling players:

Kylee Watson from #1 to #13.

Anaya Peoples from #5 to #19.

I can't remember where Aijha Blackwell was on ESPN but she's at #22 now after starring in Dallas last week.

That's the problem with ESPN.............they should give you the previous number too............

Watson does seem to lack aggression at times, especially when playing with equally capable team mates................I'd still take her at UConn any day...........5 to 19.........that's it for Peoples' college career............

Reaction Score
Then perhaps you should probably voluntarily step away from the table until you get some more information. Participation and speculation about UCONN recruits is only intended for fun not to stress you out.

Coco I greatly appreciate your concern for my welfare...........watching what's gone on during the past 12 months specifically has been one hell of a roller coaster ride.............and I love roller coaster rides............I just don't like the part when the car sits at the precipice just before the big drop............

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here's the Olsen writeup. No mention of early AAU tournaments being behind the rankings changes:

Player: Haley Jones, Archbishop Mitty (San Jose, California)

New rank: 2

Previous rank: 5

Comment: Jones, an undeclared 6-foot-1 wing, led Mitty to a 29-1 record and the No. 1 spot in the final espnW 25 Power Rankings for the 2017-18 season. Throughout the year, Jones continued to refine every aspect of her game. She's more skilled on the offensive side, more poised and more confident. Averaging nearly 22 points per game against the best competition the country has to offer will do that. Jones was named the Gatorade player of the year in California.

Player: Cameron Brink, Southridge (Beaverton, Oregon)

New rank: 1

Previous rank: 4

Comment: The 6-foot-4 forward averaged 17.1 points and 10.5 rebounds and led Southridge to an Oregon state title. She was named the Oregon Gatorade player of the year. Brink moves to the top of the class largely thanks to her work off the court. She has added strength to her length, and every aspect of her game has benefited.

HoopGurlz -- Elite eight movers in 2019 and 2020 women's basketball recruiting rankings

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don’t think 2019 is as crucial a class for UCONN. Going into 2019-20, on board you have:
C: ONO
F: Camara
F: Walker
G: Williams
G: Dangerfield
Bench:
G-Gordon
G-Coombs
F-Irwin
G-Bent

Geno rarely goes more than 7 deep in a lineup, max 8. Obviously, more post depth is needed but there’s already a strong core of guards, a high potential wing in Walker and a high potential post in ONO. Camara is a wild card, same with Coombs and Gordon. I’ll be surprised if Walker doesn’t make big strides this off season. I don’t see Irwin or Bent ever being rotation players. So if UCONN brings in an impact forward or post, my guess is she’ll fill nab a rotation spot and the lineup likely is:
ONO-So
Camara-Sr
Walker-Jr
Williams-So
Dangerfield-Sr
Bench:
Coombs-Jr, spots guards and wings
Freshman forward-spots Walker/Camara/ONO

UCONN already has a talented and almost complete roster. They really just need 1-2 players to fill out the rotation. A backup PG couldn’t hurt either, but anyone else they bring on will likely be a bench player for a year or two IMO.

I personally am not a fan of deep rosters, I think often times they lead to more issues than success since it’s hard managing a number of really talented players when not everyone can get playing time. UCONN’s best teams rarely go more than 7-8 deep.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don’t think 2019 is as crucial a class for UCONN. Going into 2019-20, on board you have:
C: ONO
F: Camara
F: Walker
G: Williams
G: Dangerfield
Bench:
G-Gordon
G-Coombs
Irwin
G-Bent

Geno rarely goes more than 7 deep in a lineup, max 8.

Where do you see 7-deep there? I see four legit talents and a ton of question marks. Gordon has to come a monstrous way to be a contributor. You've already mentioned Bent and Irwin. Camara struggled in meaningless game situations last year and is constantly hobbled by leg issues. Coombs has a significant physical disorder and was not in the recent photos taken with the rest of the team when Haley Jones visited.

I'd suggest both '19 and '20 are very much key classes all things considered including Geno's age.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I hope the Lady Vols sake, they have enough room for them. :rolleyes:

They seem to get whoever they want out of Oregon, but Angie Bjorklund is the only Washingtonian I can think of off the top of my head.

Hopefully the Beavers going into their house and beating the Vols will be enough reason to convince Brink not to head south. Not saying she's gonna go to OSU....just please not Tennessee! I'm not making predictions on any of these players. Historically the NW schools haven't been real successful at keeping the best players at home. Stanford has done a fairly good job of cherry picking players out of WA and OR over the years. If they want to stay out West and Stanford comes calling, that's fairly hard to turn down.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Here's the Olsen writeup. No mention of early AAU tournaments being behind the rankings changes:
He did not mention the April 2018 tournaments in the write-up, but he included his Boo Williams evaluation for many of the recruits in his individual evaluations.

Paige Beuckers: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Agile floor-leader with poised floor game, scorer's mentality; crafty off the dribble, sets up teammates, distributes with unselfish persona; mid-range creator moves to the arc; among the elite prospects in the class of 2020. (Olson)

Cameron Brink: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Agile finesse-4 prospect with superior size, agility, shot blocking presence and emerging offensive game; improved physical presence in the paint, shot rejecter, rebounds and initiates the fast break; interior game yields results; an impact prospect at the next level. (Olson)

Caitlin Clark: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Fundamental floor general with combo-game; executes in half-court game, unselfish persona, distributor; sets up teammates, delivers off the dribble, rises on jumper in mid-range game to the arc; superb back court prospect. (Olson)

Allison Campbell: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Poised floor general handles in transition, reads pressure, executes in half-court game; manufactures in mid-range game, deep threat opportunist; court savvy, IQ. (Olson)

Kylee Watson: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Agile interior prospect with versatility; rebounds and handles up the floor with guard skills; interior footwork with developing offensive attack in key; superb in transition. (Olson)

Sydney Parrish: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Skilled back court prospect, executes in half-court game; rises on jumper to the arc; makes plays off the dribble, scores in transition; unselfish, passes, reads the defense. (Olson)

Sasha GoForth: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Agile off-guard brings size, scoring punch to the back court; deep range offensive threat delivers results; scores in transition; smooth off the dribble, makes plays in traffic; big-guard size and a stock-riser in the 2020 class. (Olson)

Ashley Owuso: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Dominating lead guard with consistent offensive production; impact guard manufactures, superb in mid-range game; checkmates the defender with consistency, reads the defender weakness and delivers; physical off the dribble, a playmaker, distributor; an elite guard in the class of 2019. (Olson)

Jordyn Oliver: Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Athletic off-guard with college-ready frame manufactures, handles and delivers in transition; confident, consistent backcourt game, superb shot maker in mid-range game. (Olson)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
They seem to get whoever they want out of Oregon, but Angie Bjorklund is the only Washingtonian I can think of off the top of my head.

Hopefully the Beavers going into their house and beating the Vols will be enough reason to convince Brink not to head south. Not saying she's gonna go to OSU....just please not Tennessee! I'm not making predictions on any of these players. Historically the NW schools haven't been real successful at keeping the best players at home. Stanford has done a fairly good job of cherry picking players out of WA and OR over the years. If they want to stay out West and Stanford comes calling, that's fairly hard to turn down.

On the other side of the revolving door, OSU seems to do one heck of a job in bringing in centers from outside the U.S. with Ruth Hamblin (Canada), Marie Gulich (Germany), Joanna Grymek (Poland) and now Andrea Aquino (Paraguay, via New Jersey -- where I saw her -- and Los Angeles).

And Oregon has the Sabally sisters from Germany and Maite Cazorla from Spain, to name a few of the international players on that squad. The Ducks got Ruthy Hebard (Alaska) to stay on the West Coast!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Where do you see 7-deep there? I see four legit talents and a ton of question marks. Gordon has to come a monstrous way to be a contributor. You've already mentioned Bent and Irwin. Camara struggled in meaningless game situations last year and is constantly hobbled by leg issues. Coombs has a significant physical disorder and was not in the recent photos taken with the rest of the team when Haley Jones visited.

I'd suggest both '19 and '20 are very much key classes all things considered including Geno's age.

Here's your 7 deep rotation:
ONO-So
Camara-Sr
Walker-Jr
Williams-So
Dangerfield-Sr
Bench:

A lot can (and will) change between now and then. You have 1.5 years for Coombs and Camara to get healthy and develop. Both were brand new to UCONN's system this year and were playing behind better players. They'll likely get more opportunity this upcoming season to develop through practice and should get playing time. Even if they have injury issues, you still have the possibility of Gordon developing into a very good player. Both her and Coombs were ranked top 30. Coombs was much higher by some publications...I'd give them time to develop before writing them off.

Or if UCONN lands 2 marquee players, then your rotation could include a 2nd highly touted freshman. Regardless though, you have two HS POYs on the roster, a senior PG who will likely be an AA, and another post who was #1 in her class for a while and ended up being #5. With no 2019 recruits on board, UCONN is in a better position than anyone besides Baylor or Texas looking ahead that far....and I'm not so sure either of those schools are in a better spot than UCONN considering how overloaded their rosters are. I'd look for more transfers out both programs unless Kim and Karen can work some crazy magic.

Reaction Score
For 2019 I like Bell, Jones, Jackson, Amihere, Davenport, Cooke and Beal

For 2020 Reese, Clark, Brink, Cardoso, Hunt, Watson, Andrews and Goforth has my eye.

Also I’m not sure why but Angel reeese dropped 6 spots. She dominated this past season for a nationally ranked squad and also averaged 20 point and 16 rebounds this past weekend at Boo. IMO she is easily top 5 and when she gets a consistent jump shot from the perimeter she will be a handful.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here's your 7 deep rotation:
ONO-So
Camara-Sr
Walker-Jr
Williams-So
Dangerfield-Sr
Bench:

A lot can (and will) change between now and then. You have 1.5 years for Coombs and Camara to get healthy and develop. Both were brand new to UCONN's system this year and were playing behind better players. They'll likely get more opportunity this upcoming season to develop through practice and should get playing time. Even if they have injury issues, you still have the possibility of Gordon developing into a very good player. Both her and Coombs were ranked top 30. Coombs was much higher by some publications...I'd give them time to develop before writing them off.

The reasons Camara and Gordon didn't see the floor were not because they were behind better players. Again, both struggled in "garbage time" minutes, mainly against far inferior talent. Placing Camara in any starting lineup at this point seems like an enormous stretch. As for Gordon, you mustn't have seen her play. To say she struggled would be the understatement of the century. She shot 17%, and about half her misses were airballs.

I like Coombs a lot but, again, how can you pencil someone in who has a serious medical condition and whose status as a Husky is not altogether certain?

As things currently stand there is no bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Also I’m not sure why but Angel reeese dropped 6 spots. She dominated this past season for a nationally ranked squad and also averaged 20 point and 16 rebounds this past weekend at Boo. IMO she is easily top 5 and when she gets a consistent jump shot from the perimeter she will be a handful.

This is why the rankings need further explanation. There is no account of Boo Williams in which Reese wasn't seen as one of the best players. Her stock should've gone way up. Compare her to Natalija Marshall who stayed right about where she was at #14 despite not excelling at Boo.

Reaction Score
The reasons Camara and Gordon didn't see the floor were not because they were behind better players. Again, both struggled in "garbage time" minutes, mainly against far inferior talent. Placing Camara in any starting lineup at this point seems like an enormous stretch. As for Gordon, you mustn't have seen her play. To say she struggled would be the understatement of the century. She shot 17%, and about half her misses were airballs.

I like Coombs a lot but, again, how can you pencil someone in who has a serious medical condition and whose status as a Husky is not altogether certain?

As things currently stand there is no bench.
This is why the rankings need further explanation. There is no account of Boo Williams in which Reese wasn't seen as one of the best players. Her stock should've gone way up. Compare her to Natalija Marshall who stayed right about where she was at #14 despite not excelling at Boo.

Do you think the ratings should be changed on the basis of a single three day tournament? As prestigious as it is perhaps that should be just part of Spring/Summer AAU player assessment...........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do you think the ratings should be changed on the basis of a single three day tournament? As prestigious as it is perhaps that should be just part of Spring/Summer AAU player assessment......

I think it should be made clear what evaluation period is responsible for the newly formed list. If this new one is solely based on the high school season then say that. Because when it is dropped a month after the start of AAU season people will assume those performances had an effect.

Also, as mentioned above by Fightin Choke, several of the players listed have updated scouting reports. It strikes me as odd that Olsen would've seen some of the players at AAU events and not put those observations into his ratings formula. Did he not see Angel Reese, for instance? She doesn't have a new report.

And to add one more thing, most of these kids played 5-6 games against quality competition in one weekend . If they're lucky they played 5-6 games against quality competition the entire high school year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yes, I agree. Seems like everything was taken in account prior to Boo Williams where IMO a lot of players true colors showed. Ashley Owusu Deserved her ranking bump. Great HS season and killed the comp at Boo. Same for Reese and Jakia Turner-Brown. Tremendous HS seasons and led Team Takeover to a Boo championship. Brunelle showed she has the Talent but it remains to be seen if she can be a consistent threat against elite competition. If it wasn’t for Fudd, Fairfax Stars would’ve went 1-2 in their division.

Reaction Score

Marshall has the potential to be good at the next level she just lacks a consistent face up game and her motor wax and wanes. She also has a thin frame and needs to put on more weight. In terms of stature she looks like a 6’5” guard against other bigs. Reese on the other hand has a tremendous motor and runs the floor like a guard. Her rebounding ability reminds me of McCowan and has the ball handling ability to play out on the perimeter. She just needs to be more consistent shooting and continue to stretch her jump shot beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree. Seems like everything was taken in account prior to Boo Williams where IMO a lot of players true colors showed. Ashley Owusu Deserved her ranking bump. Great HS season and killed the comp at Boo. Same for Reese and Jakia Turner-Brown. Tremendous HS seasons and led Team Takeover to a Boo championship. Brunelle showed she has the Talent but it remains to be seen if she can be a consistent threat against elite competition. If it wasn’t for Fudd, Fairfax Stars would’ve went 1-2 in their division.

If you look at some of the evaluations of some of the recruits, you can see updated comments from the Boo Williams April 2018 and comments from the Yellow Rose Of Texas March 2018 tourneys. So it looks like the new rankings include observations from up to those dates.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
On the other side of the revolving door, OSU seems to do one heck of a job in bringing in centers from outside the U.S. with Ruth Hamblin (Canada), Marie Gulich (Germany), Joanna Grymek (Poland) and now Andrea Aquino (Paraguay, via New Jersey -- where I saw her -- and Los Angeles).

Not a center, but Kolbie Orum is another Canadian who didn't play much for 3 years but was solid as a Sr. ('16-'17 season) playing in the post for OSU.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Somehow I missed this from February:

The UConn women’s basketball team has been to the Final Four each of the past 10 seasons, winning six National Championships.

Saturday, the undefeated and top-ranked Aquinas High School girls basketball team will face one of UConn’s recruits in 5-foot-11 sophomore guard Caitlin Clark.

Along with UConn, Clark is also being recruited by Notre Dame. It’s a game Donarski says he doesn’t have to do much as a coach to get his team psyched up.

“I’m happy to say they’re very much bought in and from a competitive standpoint, they know who Caitlin Clark is,” he said. “You have a kid that’s being recruited from UConn and Notre Dame, some of the greatest schools in the country for women’s basketball. We’ll be amped up.”

Undefeated, top-ranked Aquinas faces team with UConn recruit Saturday

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom