Hoopgurlz updated 2019 rankings | The Boneyard

Hoopgurlz updated 2019 rankings

HGN

Reaction Score
Brunelle remains #1. Haley Jones moves to #2. Amihere moves down to.....
2019 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - Super 60 - ESPN
2020 Class has also been revised with a new #1 Cameron Brink.
2020 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - Terrific 25 - ESPN
Coco, I'm encouraged in a strange sort of way..............Amihere moved down a couple of slots but it could be because of limited exposure and
playing in Canada where the evaluators do not get to see much of her. (Not discounting Haley Jones's play). And I am encouraged by the move up
the board by Aliyah Boston to #7. My wish of course is that UConn comes away with all three (3).....Amihere , Jones , and Boston.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all 3.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, I'm encouraged in a strange sort of way....Amihere moved down a couple of slots but it could be because of limited exposure and
playing in Canada where the evaluators do not get to see much of her.
(Not discounting Haley Jones's play). And I am encouraged by the move up
the board by Aliyah Boston to #7. My wish of course is that UConn comes away with all three (3).....Amihere , Jones , and Boston.
Amihere moved down because she was injured. We saw this exact kind of movement when ONO was hurt last year- from 1 down to 4.
Amihere , Jones , and Boston would be an outstanding class.

Reaction Score
Amihere moved down because she was injured. We saw this exact kind of movement when ONO was hurt last year- from 1 down to 4.
Amihere , Jones , and Boston would be an outstanding class.

How badly was she hurt?

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Great pre-season stuff. Interesting that many listed as "PG's" have committed. I view Boston and a yet to be named PG as two "MUSTS."
The 2019 UCONN recruiting class is crucial for many reasons.
The class size must be between 3-5 players
The class must produce at least 3 rotation players for the 2019-20 season.
The class must have at least 1 player capable of starting as a Freshmen.
This is like 2010 all over again!
I'm not sure if PG is a must as opposed to combo guard because Crystal will be a senior when this class arrives and by them Christyn Williams will have the ability to slide over an play the PG position in the same way that Bria Hartley, Saniya Chong or Kia Nurse did. The 2020 class is also loaded with PG with at least 2 or three capable of starting as Freshmen even at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Great pre-season stuff. Interesting that many listed as "PG's" have committed. I view Boston and a yet to be named PG as two "MUSTS."

Leilani Correa is the only guard that seems to have UConn interest but is not a point guard..........ND and Louisville are both making a big push to land Boston and Amihere is a complete mystery.......as far as I can tell the only advantage that UConn has is their successful handling of Kia Nurse as a continuing member of the Canadian National team.......

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I believe Owusu who is heading to Maryland made the biggest jump among all guards.
Hopefully Owusu will show out at the Jordan Brand Classic., and play like a college freshman of the year. Then maybe Frese will find a way to keep her from transferring after one year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Brunelle remains #1. Haley Jones moves to #2. Amihere moves down to.....
2019 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - Super 60 - ESPN
2020 Class has also been revised with a new #1 Cameron Brink.
2020 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - Terrific 25 - ESPN
Cocoa, you’ve been calling this upward move by Jones for some time now. While it’s clear that Brunelle is not coming to Storrs, the $64,000 question is, “When the final player rankings come out, will UConn secure the #1 HS POY in 2019 for the 3rd year in a row?”

Reaction Score
Cocoa, you’ve been calling this upward move by Jones for some time now. While it’s clear that Brunelle is not coming to Storrs, the $64,000 question is, “When the final player rankings come out, will UConn secure the #1 HS POY in 2019 for the 3rd year in a row?”
Gatorade tends to look at the bigger picture for the POY award when there isn't a clear cut favorite (KLS, MW, CW). The best example would be when Erin Boley won the award. She had never even been on a USA team. I believe she got the award because she is obviously a great player, but also because she was the Valedictorian of her class. With the 2019 class, I'm not sure there's a player that stands out above the rest. I'm not aware of the grades between Brunelle and Jones either. Brunelle seems like the favorite to me, mainly because of her humanitarian work she did when she raised money for Houston. Well and she's the No. 1 player lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I sure hope so. Couple of things I actually wrote an email to Dan Olson pointing out that he was not being consistent with his Feb 2018 which would have also put Jones at #1. There still a lot of basketball to be played that could change the rankings. At the End of next month the U17 trials are taking place and this is a team that Jones did not make last year but Samantha did and started. will be interesting to see who makes that team who starts and who plays well. EYBL is just getting started there are three more stops on the EYBL circuit (Chicago, Louisville, Indy). It was during EYBL last year that Christyn Williams cemented her position at #1 barely edging out C. Collier. Prospect nation has Samantha at #4 and Haley Jones @ 14 so a update of their rankings is also due but might not happen until fall. It might happen sooner because PN doesn't like to fall behind ESPN too far.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The 2019 UCONN recruiting class is crucial for many reasons.
The class size must be between 3-5 players
The class must produce at least 3 rotation players for the 2019-20 season.
The class must have at least 1 player capable of starting as a Freshmen.
This is like 2010 all over again!
I'm not sure if PG is a must as opposed to combo guard because Crystal will be a senior when this class arrives and by them Christyn Williams will have the ability to slide over an play the PG position in the same way that Bria Hartley, Saniya Chong or Kia Nurse did. The 2020 class is also loaded with PG with at least 2 or three capable of starting as Freshmen even at UCONN.

Hey Coco:
I see you're identifying Amihere, Jones and Boston as the basis for an outstanding class. Absolutely agree.
Also understand and concur with your thought that the PG could slide to 2020, given the wealth of talent at that position in that particular class.

- So could that maybe result in the 2019 Class size end up being, 3 or 4?
- Would the 4th be a guard (such as Correa)?

And given that numerous other top programs are also pursuing your designated trio, have you heard and/or thought of any prospects in 2019 that could be viewed as "next up" for those big three?

(Since ND is largely targeting a lot of these folks, too, I ask myself the same questions about 2019 and what can "slide" into 2020. For instance...to some degree, the injury and recovery of Mik Vaughn has mitigated the rush for numerous bigs. Get the right one, he says crossing his fingers.).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brink is a must get for 2020, she could turn into a NPOY at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Coco, I'm encouraged in a strange sort of way....Amihere moved down a couple of slots but it could be because of limited exposure and
playing in Canada where the evaluators do not get to see much of her. (Not discounting Haley Jones's play). And I am encouraged by the move up

Don't be fooled by the ratings game...........those rankings often change like the weather............I'm only interested when I see a big jump up or down...............any recruit with five stars and many with four stars should be capable of making a big impact on a program no matter what their number of the moment is............

Reaction Score
Hey Coco:
I see you're identifying Amihere , Jones , and Boston as outstanding class. Absolutely agree.
Also understand and concur with your thought that the PG could slide to 2020, given the wealth of players at that position.

- So could that maybe make that 2019 Class size be 3 or 4?
- Would the 4th be a guard (such as Correa?)

And given that numerous programs are also pursuing your designated trio, have you heard and/or thought of any prospects in 2019 that could be viewed as "next up?"

(Since ND is largely targeting a lot of these folks, too, I ask myself the same questions about 2019 and what can "slide" into 2020. To some degree, the injury and recovery of Vaughn has mitigated the rush for numerous bigs...).
Thanks for any thoughts.

Based on what information we have so far, 2019 UConn recruiting looks like high stakes poker to me.........trade your Brunelle Card for the chance to land a Jones card and hope like crazy that Boston and Amihere follow suite.........leave Beal, Horston, Taylor, Miller, Masonius, Jackson in the deck............maybe Griffin and Correa are hidden in their vest pocket just in case all else fails

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't be fooled by the ratings game......those rankings often change like the weather..I'm only interested when I see a big jump up or down.....any recruit with five stars and many with four stars should be capable of making a big impact on a program no matter what their number of the moment is..

Biggest leap I saw back up was Celeste Taylor (Texas commit)..nearly 30 spots. Now, her scoring average at LI Lutheran was up, but it had to be because she didn't have as much talent around her, perhaps due to graduation and/or transfers such as Jaida Patrick (Duke commit). The team went 16-7 this year. So was the increased individual scoring responsible? Who knows? But she was on the US team that went to Argentina and did a good job. Quite candidly, was wondering why she was "that low" to begin with. Correction...and then some! ;)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hey Coco:
I see you're identifying Amihere , Jones , and Boston as outstanding class. Absolutely agree.
Also understand and concur with your thought that the PG could slide to 2020, given the wealth of players at that position.
- So could that maybe make that 2019 Class size be 3 or 4?
- Would the 4th be a guard (such as Correa?)

And given that numerous programs are also pursuing your designated trio, have you heard and/or thought of any prospects in 2019 that could be viewed as "next up?"

(Since ND is largely targeting a lot of these folks, too, I ask myself the same questions about 2019 and what can "slide" into 2020. To some degree, the injury and recovery of Vaughn has mitigated the rush for numerous bigs...). Thanks for any thoughts.

Q: So could that maybe make that 2019 Class size be 3 or 4?
A: No I still think the class needs to be 3-5. The number I'm trying to work with is a roster of 13 players and one of the variables is Camara. The last three players (Tuck, Butler & Stevens) with remaining eligibility chose not to return to UCONN. Without Camara and with four 2019 incoming the roster would be at 12. That is too danger close to having to rely on transfer or freshmen to remain in the National Championship picture.
Q: Would the 4th be a guard (such as Correa?).
A: Yes. I like variety and versatility so a combo guard would work best. Of the players UCONN was evaluating my preference would be in this order ( Horston, Correa, Osborne).
Q:And given that numerous programs are also pursuing your designated trio, have you heard and/or thought of any prospects in 2019 that could be viewed as "next up?"
A: Absolutely! I have been beating the drum for a while now for Kennedy Brown and from everything I see she going to be a player. Neither ND nor UCONN is on Kennedy's list but IMO she will do very well at either place.
More recently I've been beating another drum for Aijha Blackwell thanks to a post from @donalddoowop back in January. It also may be time to revisit some of the usual suspects that remain at the top of the ranking but are still uncommitted. Rickea Jackson and Brea Beal and Kierstan Bell would make any program better.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brink and Van Lith 1 & 3 huh? Now if Bueckers was just sandwiched between them we'd have an accurate representation of the top-3 and the three top UConn targets.

Kylee Watson with the precipitous drop from #1 to #13. I mentioned in the Boo Williams thread that she barely took a shot in that tourney---seemed like a ghost. Be interesting to see what the other outlets do with her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't be fooled by the ratings game......those rankings often change like the weather..I'm only interested when I see a big jump up or down.....any recruit with five stars and many with four stars should be capable of making a big impact on a program no matter what their number of the moment is..
Don't be so cynical about the ratings. Some very hard working people behind these ratings. The ratings are subjective, start by trying to understand the philosophy behind the rating.
Biggest leap I saw back up was Celeste Taylor..nearly 30 spots. Now, her scoring average at Lutheran was up, but it had to be because she didn't have as much talent around her. The team went 16-7 this year. So was the increased individual scoring responsible? Who knows?
Taylor also made the USA basketball U16 team and played well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on what information we have so far, 2019 UConn recruiting looks like high stakes poker to me....trade your Brunelle Card for the chance to land a Jones card and hope like crazy that Boston and Amihere follow suite....leave Beal, Horston, Taylor, Miller, Masonius, Jackson in the deck..maybe Griffin and Correa are hidden in their vest pocket just in case all else fails
Then perhaps you should probably voluntarily step away from the table until you get some more information. Participation and speculation about UCONN recruits is only intended for fun not to stress you out.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

First look notices of falling players:

Kylee Watson from #1 to #13.

Anaya Peoples from #5 to #19.

I can't remember where Aijha Blackwell was on ESPN but she's at #22 now after starring in Dallas last week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom