Honestly, what happened? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Honestly, what happened?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
People tend to overlook that Hurley had never coached at this level before UConn. He was out of the Calhoun mode. Focus on defense because defense travels. And it allows you it win with even poor offense. But the game was changing.

Just being at UConn would have led to some growth. Then two first round exits in the NCAA exposed the flaw in this thinking. The success of Jay Wright's approach was right in front of him. Literally. Wright had dominated the BE with his one in four out attack.

Then Hurley did something coaches often talk about but are not successful at doing. HE ADJUSTED!

That is an oversimplification. But the back to back first round losses and the example of Jay Wright are major catalysts in his transformation.
Agreed. Jay Wright system including discipline was different (and better) and more integrated than anyone else's at the time. Very well thought out and well coached. Tough combination to beat but a thing of beauty when you watch how it worked.

And adjust he did and now is motivated to continue to grow and work with others on this new thing of beauty he and they have going.

He is seeking his own destiny and legacy along with the players and coaches.

Happy for him and all who have helped in leading Uconn to this. He is truly and integral and foundational part of the ongoing College Basketball Capital of the World.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It helps when you are in a place that makes recruiting so much easier than in a non basketball conference such as the AAC.
Plus having Luke Murray on the staff as the Xs and Os guy helps out immensely.

Reaction Score
You might be right, but the offense is very similar. It used to be said that style of offense wouldn't work in the men's game, now we know it works great.
Given how hurley talks about their process (in his interview with Katz), i would be shocked if they didn't see some tape of Geno's offense. Pretty uch his position is he doens't care where it comes from, they will look anywhere and everywhere for ideas on how they can develop offense.

Reaction Score
You might be right, but the offense is very similar. It used to be said that style of offense wouldn't work in the men's game, now we know it works great.
I’m genuinely a bit curious/confused at what you think the similarities are.

Reaction Score
Danny talks to Geno about coaching at UConn and sustaining program success, not really basketball plays.

It’s not that complicated- they were doing a thing, they maxed out how successful they could be with that thing, so they did something different. They’re all really smart basketball people, they just went in a different direction and were in a position to recruit players who were better and a good fit. You know how Dan gets really into stuff and obsessed; they decided to be more creative and less smash mouth (but still a little smash mouth).

Reaction Score

The women's team takes 65 mid-range shots per second. Hurley looks like he'll vomit if we take one if more than 5 seconds are on the shot clock. It's an entirely different approach to the game, and that doesn't even consider the women aren't using some of our staple sets like the zoom screen, the chin series, or IIRC a bunch of pistol sets.

Just because an offense moves a lot doesn't mean they're the same "style" of offense. It's like saying Calculus and Physics are the same because they both use numbers.

Reaction Score
I’m genuinely a bit curious/confused at what you think the similarities are.

If you don't see the similarities I can't help you. To each his own. Let the myth that Geno style ball (screens, off the ball movement, unselfish play) won't work in the men's game continue I guess. Some people are very stubborn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not an X and O guy like many of you, but I remember in the early Hurley days, a lot of complaints about our offense and how we just ran a weave and high hedge endlessly. Now, anlmost overnight, we run the best offense in CBB.

Is it the players, is Hurley evolving, is Murray a mad offensive scientist, is it the cultural buy-in? Am I answering my own question by saying it’s all of the above?

Reaction Score
If you don't see the similarities I can't help you. To each his own. Let the myth that Geno ball won't work in the men's game continue I guess. Some people are very stubborn.
@husky429 pretty much covered it but women are way more reliant on the mid-range, run totally different sets, and run through traditional back-to-the-basket post sets way more frequently. The reliance on mid-range stuff especially does not work in the modern men’s game, which we’ve seen play out many times in recent years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen someone smoke UConn the way he did. Anyone equal that effort vs UConn? That was an incredible game he played to be fair, dropped 37.

He's not even the best Allen to torch UConn in a tourney game! Elijah Allen scored 43 points on 14/17 shooting -- against Ricky Moore!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What happened? An evolution of a program under new leadership.

Hurley inherited a mess. To his credit, he did not kick off anyone from the team. But he did not have the players he needed to run offense or defense. It takes time to build up to what you want and what you need.

With the advent of Luke and Kimani, the program has changed. Luke is probably a genius for the offense. It will take a couple of more years for the rest of mcbb to catch up. Recruiting is now targeting players that meet specific expectations. We've already heard Hurley says he avoids certain types of parents. Character of the player and family matter. Player must be coachable and be team oriented. And the player's skills must match the offense.

And there are similarities between the women's and the men's offense philosophy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's honestly not. Geno doesn't do all that off ball screening. You can say that the passing and unselfish play are similar and I think that's true. But the size/speed difference means that the off ball screening isn't going to be as effective in the women's game. They get better spacing simply because they are smaller and slower, there's more room on the court.

Reaction Score
Obviously the turn around included a lot of factors but the staff has really mastered roster construction. AK being as good as he was provided a great proof of concept for a new style of play. Able to spread the floor and pass from the 4 spot while being able to hold up on D and on the boards. Long gone are the days of Nelson begging to play Carlton and Whaley together. The roster is very talented. Somebody posted about us having 10 top 100 kids. I’m too lazy to do the work but that is likely half the top 100 kids in our conference in total. The coaches are incredible and flexible. We are very lucky.

Reaction Score
Best thing that could have happened to Hurley, that loss awakened a beast. I'll happily take that loss 10 out of 10 times considering what happened next! Don't even regret it anymore or have any pain about it. Imo if he sneaks past nmst and loses a close one to 4 seed Arkansas I don't think we see the huge change that was needed or that we've seen the past two years.
oh no, don't any Husky fan dare about going back in time Back to the Future style and changing that New Mexico State loss into a win.

Reaction Score
I’m not an X and O guy like many of you, but I remember in the early Hurley days, a lot of complaints about our offense and how we just ran a weave and high hedge endlessly. Now, anlmost overnight, we run the best offense in CBB.

Is it the players, is Hurley evolving, is Murray a mad offensive scientist, is it the cultural buy-in? Am I answering my own question by saying it’s all of the above?
yes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom