Homecoming Game Week - UConn vs. UMass (Saturday 10/27/18 @ Noon on ESPNU) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Homecoming Game Week - UConn vs. UMass (Saturday 10/27/18 @ Noon on ESPNU)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Big rain day on Saturday which helps whatever team can run the ball and not turn if over.

My guess 8000 fans actually show up if it is a monsoon.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Here's an interesting bit of trivia. The 1963 UMass team gave up a total of 1 TD and 12 points all season long. Maine scored the TD and UConn managed a field goal. They shut out everybody else except UNH who scored a safety. Of course this has nothing to do with the game on Saturday but the defensive metrics are still mind numbing, especially in view of our current historic feats in the other direction.

If you want to dig really deep into the useless, ancient trivia dept., the 1924 team was 6-0-2, giving up only 13 points for the entire season. We surrendered the 13 in only two games, 10 in a 12-10 win at Amherst vs. UMASS, and three vs. UNH in a 6-3 win at Storrs. Otherwise we pitched six shutouts. According to the media guide, the NY Times considered us to be among the finest teams in the nation. The two ties were scintillating 0-0 affairs vs. Tufts and Springfield.

The 1928 team was also a notable defensive juggernaut, with one sad exception. In an eight game season, seven shutouts, but the eighth and last game was a 51-13 loss to BS College at Chestnut Hill. That team finished 4-1-3, with three 0-0 ties.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Ancient History Note: 45 Years Ago to The Day, October 27, 1973, UConn vs. UMass also on Homecoming Day in a packed Memorial Stadium, fans standing all around the field and end zones. Gorgeous Fall Day, UConn 28, UMass 6. Timmy Berra, Yogi's son, good player, played for UMass. UConn D held UMass to TWO yards rushing, 104 yards passing... Eric Torkelson, UConn, ran for 109.

We were there that day. That was one of the best Husky teams of the modern small college/I-AA era. Finished 8-2-1. We were under consideration to play in the Boardwalk Bowl at Atlantic City, but URI ruined our chances with a 7-7 tie at Kingston in the second to last game of that season. We were at that game too.

Reaction Score
If you want to dig really deep into the useless, ancient trivia dept., the 1924 team was 6-0-2, giving up only 13 points for the entire season. We surrendered the 13 in only two games, 10 in a 12-10 win at Amherst vs. UMASS, and three vs. UNH in a 6-3 win at Storrs. Otherwise we pitched six shutouts. According to the media guide, the NY Times considered us to be among the finest teams in the nation. The two ties were scintillating 0-0 affairs vs. Tufts and Springfield.

The 1928 team was also a notable defensive juggernaut, with one sad exception. In an eight game season, seven shutouts, but the eighth and last game was a 51-13 loss to BS College at Chestnut Hill. That team finished 4-1-3, with three 0-0 ties.
It ain't useless. Have a fob from the 1924 squad awarded for the undefeated season. That squad had NFL players.

That fob will be up for auction in December. Save your money; 4 quality championship items, along with the '24 UConn fob, from between 1908-1947 will be auctioned at Lelands.com, including a first year NFL championship fob and a 1908 Harvard fob.

Any questions, PM me. Will post auction here when it is up and running.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just asked Gil Simmons on Facebook live this AM, anticipates worst of rain and wind between 4am-12pm Saturday. So the game may be salvaged under not the worst of conditions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just asked Gil Simmons on Facebook live this AM, anticipates worst of rain and wind between 4am-12pm Saturday. So the game may be salvaged under not the worst of conditions.

That is what weather.gov looks like right now too.

Reaction Score

That too is impressive but it occurred in an era when there was generally a lot less scoring. 0-0 ties were not that uncommon back then. I think one of the biggest games of that era was a 0-0 tie between Yale and Army, though I didn't look it up.

Reaction Score
A little bummed about the weather situation - even though the teams are as weak as they come, if it were a cool sunny day it would have made for better attendance between two old New England rivals. Would hate to see another "SMU/500 people show up" situation. Hopefully the worst will be over by kickoff.

Reaction Score
A little bummed about the weather situation - even though the teams are as weak as they come, if it were a cool sunny day it would have made for better attendance between two old New England rivals. Would hate to see another "SMU/500 people show up" situation. Hopefully the worst will be over by kickoff.
It would appear to be that way, I have a feeling that the weather will be OK by kick honestly. I can recall in storms we have had in the last few years, it was raining before game time and then weather really improved as the game progressed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So does a monsoon help mask our secondary issues? I like our chances if it comes down to the running a game.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the game and paying you guys a visit. Will be sitting in section 200 for the rain soak competition. Have to believe Whipple is gone regardless of the games outcome. On a plus side Marquis Young is back after being out for two weeks after a no call targeting call with USF.

20181014_115027-c2p.jpg

Reaction Score
So does a monsoon help mask our secondary issues? I like our chances if it comes down to the running a game.
I agree on the second point, not sure on the first.

Pindell's legs will obviously be a huge plus if the rain is heavy.

It'll help the secondary if they're willing tacklers like last week. If the aggressiveness takes a step back this week, we'll be in for a long day.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

This will help us tremendously. We can rely on Pindell and Mensah running and take the air out of the ball. UMass' defense is going to have a hard time slowing Pindell down.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not a great tailgate forecast for homecoming. Looks like the game will be played in an occasional light rain though. Still being 4 days out on a coastal storm it’s hard to say. I wonder if they push back the kickoff to 2 or 4. The game is being show on what? Google hangout?

Reaction Score
Not a great tailgate forecast for homecoming. Looks like the game will be played in an occasional light rain though. Still being 4 days out on a coastal storm it’s hard to say. I wonder if they push back the kickoff to 2 or 4. The game is being show on what? Google hangout?

instagram live

Reaction Score
Fuller: Former UConn safety Brice McAllister returns to Rentschler Field with visiting UMass

>>McAllister is not the only person from UMass with ties to Connecticut. Whipple was the head coach at the University of New Haven from 1988-93 and counting his two stints at UMass, has a 2-1 record against UConn as a head coach. Offensive line coach Mike Foley spent nine seasons as an assistant coach at UConn, while athletic director Ryan Bamford previously worked at Yale. Linebacker Bryton Barr, who is second nationally with 103 tackles, made eight tackles including 1 1/2 tackles for loss to help Towson beat UConn in the 2013 season opener. Starting defensive end Jake Byczko was a former UConn commit.

Then there is senior offensive lineman Jake Largay, a former star at Granby High School who has started games at three different positions this season. “I’ve definitely had this circled on the calendar for a while ever since I saw we were playing them, I think it was two years ago that they came out with the schedule. I’ve been so excited to go back to the home state,” Largay said. “I wasn’t recruited by UConn, there is no bad blood or anything, but I am just real excited to go back, get a W for sure.”<<

Ostrout: New Britain Herald - Edsall, ex-UConn football DB McAllister differ on departure details

>>UConn coach Randy Edsall said Tuesday that the decision to leave was made by McAllister. “He decided to leave the program,” Edsall said. McAllister implies that he was told his scholarship was not being renewed. So which is it? Apparently, there is a little truth on both sides.

McAllister, who played in 33 career games for the Huskies, broke a bone in his hand early in the 2017 campaign and the last game he played for UConn was Oct. 6, 2017 against Memphis. The surgery to repair the injury and the ensuing rehabilitation might have, perhaps, taken the remainder of the season. McAllister wanted to apply for a medical redshirt for 2017 and return to UConn for a post-graduate season. The UConn coaching staff felt McAllister was able to return for the final game or two of the 2017 season.

So, ultimately, McAllister chose to leave UConn and play a post-graduate season at UMass. Edsall didn’t exactly ask McAllister to leave, but he didn’t want him back on his terms, either. In early November McAllister applied for a waiver to be released from his scholarship for the spring semester and the request was granted by UConn the following day.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a horrible idea to push it to a 2pm kick.

Reaction Score
I'll likely be at Buzzards Bay to check out Massachusetts Maritime Academy. Field is surrounded by water.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom