Home Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Home Schedule

Reaction Score
Respectfull my friend, if you think the home schedule is fine, there will be plenty of empty seats to leverage in the program you describe. The problem is, we need actual gate revenue to survive financially, since our conference TV contracts stinks.

Otherwise, I do like your post. We don't get a dime for empty seats and realistically KO isn't on the phone with Coach K signing up Duke.
By fine I meant its not like we're winning 25+ games with strong NCAA appearances. Furthermore we can't even get to the top of the AAC consistently. We need to improve a whole lot, before we can get back to yesterday's strong home opponents. Don't want to sound non confident, but we don't want to risk losses at home. Having an increased rambunctious fan base (i.e. students) is good for team optics and spirits.

Reaction Score
I really think the home schedule is fine. However I really wished the University would find a way to give empty (or unsold) seats to students.
Consider a ticket holder who can not make the game, he could tender the ticket back to the University before game time. The school then could re-sell the ticket dirt cheap to a student (e,g, $5). Many season ticket holders know when they can't make games.

The point is if you get the 'rowdy', cheering, loud students vocally and demonstrably supporting our Huskies it would rock the place. And I would add helping wins accrue.

The bottom line is colleges should never have empty seats at arenas, especially on campus. Kids are always looking for fun things to do on Campus and this would certainly entertain them.

I don't know how the plan would work to retrieve the no-show tixs (perhaps electonically) and also to spot empty seats that students waiting outside could take. But there are a lot of smart people at UConn who could figure this out.

Just saying if the opponent is not attractive get the students in there, they'll make the game and subsequently the score attractive. I think it could be a great solution to eliminate empty seats. I really believe UConn students would be on board and season ticket holders would cooperate knowing their seat would be filled with someone perhaps more interested in the game than them.

Pack Gampel and HCC, make it loud so when we see it on TV its awesome.

Is this a project @Chief00 , some Yarders, and the student Board could take on with the university?

I like your idea with the tickets. Unfortunately our students who buy student tickets don't even come to sit in the seats they paid for...so not sure how well that idea would work. The student sections the past few years have been sparse except for the few marquee games.

Reaction Score
I don't see what your problem is. "Other people" scheduled that PK thing. No one would listen to a veto attempt there. Ollie isn't getting a veto of any money game in MSG either. And I don't think he's in any position to postpone any of the home and home games against good teams that have been agreed to. And I'm sure Ollie had plenty of input into the OOC home schedule. So it seems to me Ollie did, in fact, schedule all the easy games and other people scheduled all the hard games.

Christ. You have to be trolling.

The idea that the head coach - who has no direct input on how revenue is managed - selected the schedule is from lala land, even by the standards of this board. Perhaps he did consult with the AD on the schedule, in which case the question was "do you want to play Monmouth or New Hampshire?" And he chose the far harder game - one of which he will receive little credit for in victory but be crucified for in defeat.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, with the nuance that we play the home schedule in two locations - we need two very good OOC games. Fans at one location won't see a good OOC game. They deserve better, especially given the conference.

You act as if the two venues are on different continents, Chief. I understand that getting to Gampel is a huge pain in the ass, especially on a weekday, but there are always tickets available for individual games at reasonable prices. If you live in the area and care about UConn basketball, you're going to be at the game provided there is no scheduling conflict. I'm continually miffed by the people who act like they are being held hostage in one place.

If the Nova game is at the XL, that probably means there is a good chance two of the three premier conference games are at Gampel, in addition to the Arizona game next year. That's the obvious trade off that you make when you sign up for season tickets to one venue.

Reaction Score
A very successful season will go a long way toward better recruiting and home schedule next year. Let's give KO enough rope to get that done and let's also put the knives away toward each other and him for awhile. Just a suggestion. Kumbaya.

Reaction Score
Jim used to use his coaching friends to get top HOME/HOME games

With all respect to HCJC, Coach is the proper address - and I do know him - scheduling was easier when in the OBE - the stronger teams (No P5 nomenclature) loved a home and home with most any OBE team. I would think that our AD has many connections with the P5 ADs and has tried to get some match-ups.
I don't think its anywhere near as easy as you make it out to be
KO, at this point, doesn't have the pull of HCJC but HCJC had some real yawners of OOC schedule at home also
Not when you're as tight with the man as Chief is

C

Chief00

You act as if the two venues are on different continents, Chief. I understand that getting to Gampel is a huge pain in the ass, especially on a weekday, but there are always tickets available for individual games at reasonable prices. If you live in the area and care about UConn basketball, you're going to be at the game provided there is no scheduling conflict. I'm continually miffed by the people who act like they are being held hostage in one place.

If the Nova game is at the XL, that probably means there is a good chance two of the three premier conference games are at Gampel, in addition to the Arizona game next year. That's the obvious trade off that you make when you sign up for season tickets to one venue.

I have season tickets to both locations, but a lot of fans don't. Their live game experience will be what happens at one location.

C

Chief00

The Women have 3 good home OOC games while the men have one. As they say in the biz World - Proof of concept.

Attachments

• IMG_1156.PNG
    IMG_1156.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I like your idea with the tickets. Unfortunately our students who buy student tickets don't even come to sit in the seats they paid for...so not sure how well that idea would work. The student sections the past few years have been sparse except for the few marquee games.

Put the student sections around the court

C

Chief00

Put the student sections around the court
The students need to step up. I would like to go back to the camp outside student tickets days. That way you get the real fans who will sacrifice not the casual student fan who enters the lottery on their laptop from the comfort of their dorm room.
Hopefully, Dave will correct that next year. I will mention that to him next time I see him.

Reaction Score
FYI, with the Oregon win, UConn is now back to 14 games on CBS, ESPN or ESPN2. Still getting exposure on the biggest channels.

If UConn had lost to Oregon, it would have been 12.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So, Ollie deliberately went for an easy OOC home schedule to save his job.

But then he agreed to the most brutal OOC road schedule in America.

People who hate their own team can seemingly double as contortionists

And after a good game by "their team", they're simply good ole fashion magicians and just disappear

Imagine how miserable life must be when you must hope your favorite team loses so you can come in here and b!tch about them and tell every other fan that sees something positive to talk about that they're disconnected from reality (as they create their own version of reality of course)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom