Home Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Home Schedule

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I specified home games in my post. Good try but too transparently untrue.
But overall not a bad RPI if we win the early neutral court games. However, that neutral /away part of the schedule this year KO had little to do with. Villanova and Cuse were TV deals. Auburn away was recriprocating when the AD bailed KO out after he failed to get a meaningful home OOC game last year. Oregon and the Nike field was a result of a long existing financial relationship with Nike. Jim used to use his coaching friends to get top HOME/HOME games.

Jim this Jim that

Reaction Score
OK, so I hate to be so blunt, but this is stupid. Virtually every program in America is limited to one or two home and homes per season. It's a simple matter of budgeting, which means if you have two home and homes scheduled, you're only going to get one of those opponents in your gym. Right now our home and homes are Villanova and Arizona. That is the grande deluxe of meal plans in the best of times. I wonder whether any other program in the country is juggling two home and homes of that stature, which means with regards to accommodating fans UConn quite literally might be the best in the country. We also scheduled Monmouth, perhaps the toughest buy game in America And people are still complaining. Insert shaking head emoji here.

With regards to the conference schedule, it broke perfectly for us. The league is at its post Louisville apex and every program of note is scheduled to come to Storrs or Hartford. If you have nine conference games, there is a good chance you're going to see 2/3 of them against top 50/tournament caliber competition and a third against top 10/25 teams.

It's never going to be what it used to be but if the old Big East is your reference point then you're basically just a little kid throwing a tantrum because nobody is paying attention to you. It sucks, we know. We don't need to rehash it every five minutes.

C

Chief00

Jim used to use his coaching friends to get top HOME/HOME games

With all respect to HCJC, Coach is the proper address - and I do know him - scheduling was easier when in the OBE - the stronger teams (No P5 nomenclature) loved a home and home with most any OBE team. I would think that our AD has many connections with the P5 ADs and has tried to get some match-ups.
I don't think its anywhere near as easy as you make it out to be
KO, at this point, doesn't have the pull of HCJC but HCJC had some real yawners of OOC schedule at home also

How about old as the way to address him? LOL

C

Chief00

So, Ollie deliberately went for an easy OOC home schedule to save his job.

But then he agreed to the most brutal OOC road schedule in America.
You need to learn that reading is fundamental. If you developed the reading comprehension skill set you wouldn't be perpetually so confused. I responded to all your points in earlier posts.

Reaction Score
You need to learn that reading is fundamental. If you developed the reading comprehension skill set you wouldn't be perpetually so confused. I responded to all your points in earlier posts.

I am confident that no one else on this board knows what in the world you are talking about.

Could it be that you can't write?

You wrote that KO wants a certain schedule to preserve his job.

People love attacking KO on this board.

I'm trying to understand whether you are one of the knee-jerk attackers or not.

If you say he has an easy home schedule in order to preserve his job, then doesn't the very difficult non-home schedule contradict your point?

Reaction Score
The schedule is not that bad. It's not the greatest but it's not as bad as you make it seem. As a season ticket holder I'm more worried about 9:00 game starts in the middle of the week because of our commute

C

Chief00

I am confident that no one else on this board knows what in the world you are talking about.

Could it be that you can't write?

You wrote that KO wants a certain schedule to preserve his job.

People love attacking KO on this board.

I'm trying to understand whether you are one of the knee-jerk attackers or not.

If you say he has an easy home schedule in order to preserve his job, then doesn't the very difficult non-home schedule contradict your point?
Bottomline, Kevin aporoves the schedule. He's been head coach now for close to 5 years, if he wanted a more challenging home schedule - he would have it. These OOC games are often planned a couple years in advance. You don't seem to have a clue how things actual work.
As for attacking KO - I defended him in the Miller controversies.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Bottomline, Kevin aporoves the schedule. He's been head coach now for close to 5 years, if he wanted a more challenging home schedule - he would have it. These OOC games are often planned a couple years in advance. You don't seem to have a clue how things actual work.
These days not many schools have challenging home OOC schedules. Mostly you get your challenging games from preseason tournaments (which UConn has done), one off neutral site events like Jimmy V (UConn has done that too) or made for TV conference challenges like the Big10/ACC and SEC/Big12 (and we're in the AAC so good luck there).

C

Chief00

These days not many schools have challenging home OOC schedules. Mostly you get your challenging games from preseason tournaments (which UConn has done), one off neutral site events like Jimmy V (UConn has done that too) or made for TV conference challenges like the Big10/ACC and SEC/Big12 (and we're in the AAC so good luck there).
When you are in the AAC it's needed.

Reaction Score
For where we sit our overall schedule is good and doesn't leave KO any place to hide. As iffy as our front court has the potential to be especially early do we really want more challenge OOC at home?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
When you are in the AAC it's needed.
...but it's not very feasible. Now a days, best case scenario you get 2 good H&H's a year. Most of your marquee games will be away from home. It's just a reality of being in the AAC.

C

Chief00

...but it's not very feasible. Now a days, best case scenario you get 2 good H&H's a year. Most of your marquee games will be away from home. It's just a reality of being in the AAC.
My point is a coach makes it happen due to his coaching connections.

Reaction Score

Kevin Ollie is trying to take the easy way out with an easy home schedule. According to you.

C

Chief00

Kevin Ollie is trying to take the easy way out with an easy home schedule. According to you.

It's a schedule more designed to pad the schedule with "easy" wins rather than be entertaining to fans and competitively challenge the team. It's very obvious, yet you seem to have trouble coming to terms with the facts on the ground.

Reaction Score
It's a schedule more designed to pad the schedule with "easy" wins rather than be entertaining to fans and competitively challenge the team. It's very obvious, yet you seem to have trouble coming to terms with the facts on the ground.

Nope. What I'm writing has absolutely nothing to do with that. It's your implication that Ollie is taking the easy way out.

A person who schedules one of the top OOCs in the nation (Arizona, Syracuse, Villanova, Oregon, Auburn + Michigan St. and Arkansas potentially) is not taking the easy way out at all. It is a very hard OOC. In other words, the exact opposite of what you wrote.

C

Chief00

Nope. What I'm writing has absolutely nothing to do with that. It's your implication that Ollie is taking the easy way out.

A person who schedules one of the top OOCs in the nation (Arizona, Syracuse, Villanova, Oregon, Auburn + Michigan St. and Arkansas potentially) is not taking the easy way out at all. It is a very hard OOC. In other words, the exact opposite of what you wrote.
Dude, respectfully you are in over your head. Chief has better things to do than answer the same question over and over. Dave scheduled the H/H with Auburn. The Nike tournament is due to our institutional relationship with Nike. Cuse and Nova were TV deals, etc. I will need to check on Zona, I don't know how that one came about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Dude, respectfully you are in over your head. Chief has better things to do than answer the same question over and over. Dave scheduled the H/H with Auburn. The Nike tournament is due to our institutional relationship with Nike. Cuse and Nova were TV deals, etc. I will need to check on Zona, I don't know how that one came about.

So, according to you, Ollie scheduled all the easy games, other people scheduled all the hard games.
I am only asking you because you seem to know all things UConn. This is good for us to know. When Ollie found out that Benedict and the other people who want him fired scheduled such tough games, he made the home OOC schedule, mostly easy games. Except for Villanova. Jay Wright is no threat to Ollie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, according to you, Ollie scheduled all the easy games, other people scheduled all the hard games.

I don't see what your problem is. "Other people" scheduled that PK thing. No one would listen to a veto attempt there. Ollie isn't getting a veto of any money game in MSG either. And I don't think he's in any position to postpone any of the home and home games against good teams that have been agreed to. And I'm sure Ollie had plenty of input into the OOC home schedule. So it seems to me Ollie did, in fact, schedule all the easy games and other people scheduled all the hard games.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
You guys are reading into this too much.

C

Chief00

I am only asking you because you seem to know all things UConn. This is good for us to know. When Ollie found out that Benedict and the other people who want him fired scheduled such tough games, he made the home OOC schedule, mostly easy games. Except for Villanova. Jay Wright is no threat to Ollie.

You have no sense of balance - there's a lot of nuances to a schedule - but yeah KO certainly could have gone out and gotten a better home schedule. He went in the other direction.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
So would you have preferred we play Arizona at home this year to pair with Villanova rather than have a marquee home game next season??

C

Chief00

So would you have preferred we play Arizona at home this year to pair with Villanova rather than have a marquee home game next season??
Quite frankly, with the nuance that we play the home schedule in two locations - we need two very good OOC games. Fans at one location won't see a good OOC game. They deserve better, especially given the conference.

Reaction Score
I really think the home schedule is fine. However I really wished the University would find a way to give empty (or unsold) seats to students.
Consider a ticket holder who can not make the game, he could tender the ticket back to the University before game time. The school then could re-sell the ticket dirt cheap to a student (e,g, $5). Many season ticket holders know when they can't make games.

The point is if you get the 'rowdy', cheering, loud students vocally and demonstrably supporting our Huskies it would rock the place. And I would add helping wins accrue.

The bottom line is colleges should never have empty seats at arenas, especially on campus. Kids are always looking for fun things to do on Campus and this would certainly entertain them.

I don't know how the plan would work to retrieve the no-show tixs (perhaps electonically) and also to spot empty seats that students waiting outside could take. But there are a lot of smart people at UConn who could figure this out.

Just saying if the opponent is not attractive get the students in there, they'll make the game and subsequently the score attractive. I think it could be a great solution to eliminate empty seats. I really believe UConn students would be on board and season ticket holders would cooperate knowing their seat would be filled with someone perhaps more interested in the game than them.

Pack Gampel and HCC, make it loud so when we see it on TV its awesome.

Is this a project @Chief00 , some Yarders, and the student Board could take on with the university?

Reaction Score
I don't see what your problem is. "Other people" scheduled that PK thing. No one would listen to a veto attempt there. Ollie isn't getting a veto of any money game in MSG either. And I don't think he's in any position to postpone any of the home and home games against good teams that have been agreed to. And I'm sure Ollie had plenty of input into the OOC home schedule. So it seems to me Ollie did, in fact, schedule all the easy games and other people scheduled all the hard games.

Oh, this gets richer. Apparently now, Ollie wasn't even here when those Arizona and Villanova home and homes were agreed to. They happened decades ago. Not last year or the year before when he was coach. Nope. Nothing to do with it. Apparently, also, he was adamant that he needed an easy schedule because he already had one of the 5 toughest OOCs in the nation. Go ahead, come back with yet another delusional, hopeless, ridiculous, lost post about how Kevin Ollie watered down the schedule.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I really think the home schedule is fine. However I really wished the University would find a way to give empty (or unsold) seats to students.
Consider a ticket holder who can not make the game, he could tender the ticket back to the University before game time. The school then could re-sell the ticket dirt cheap to a student (e,g, $5). Many season ticket holders know when they can't make games.

The point is if you get the 'rowdy', cheering, loud students vocally and demonstrably supporting our Huskies it would rock the place. And I would add helping wins accrue.

The bottom line is colleges should never have empty seats at arenas, especially on campus. Kids are always looking for fun things to do on Campus and this would certainly entertain them.

I don't know how the plan would work to retrieve the no-show tixs (perhaps electonically) and also to spot empty seats that students waiting outside could take. But there are a lot of smart people at UConn who could figure this out.

Just saying if the opponent is not attractive get the students in there, they'll make the game and subsequently the score attractive. I think it could be a great solution to eliminate empty seats. I really believe UConn students would be on board and season ticket holders would cooperate knowing their seat would be filled with someone perhaps more interested in the game than them.

Pack Gampel and HCC, make it loud so when we see it on TV its awesome.

Is this a project @Chief00 , some Yarders, and the student Board could take on with the university?

Respectfull my friend, if you think the home schedule is fine, there will be plenty of empty seats to leverage in the program you describe. The problem is, we need actual gate revenue to survive financially, since our conference TV contracts stinks.

Otherwise, I do like your post. We don't get a dime for empty seats and realistically KO isn't on the phone with Coach K signing up Duke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom