Home Schedule | The Boneyard

Home Schedule

C

Chief00

Men's Basketball Home Schedule Includes Villanova, Wichita St.

Quite frankly, the home schedule is on a respirator. One good OOC game and the rest are arguably not even mediocre. Tough to built up gate receipts with this hurting schedule.
I am a pragmatist and I recognize that KO is trying to save his job. I will accept it this year without a huge complaint, but next year we have got a huge problem, if this is repeated. Don't tell me about neutral court games the way you demonstrate true "Fan Appreciation" is with a good home schedule.

I would grade this schedule as a D- with Villanova keeping it from a F-.

Reaction Score
Men's Basketball Home Schedule Includes Villanova, Wichita St.

Quite frankly, the home schedule is on a respirator. One good OOC game and the rest are arguably not even mediocre. Tough to built up gate receipts with this hurting schedule.
I am a pragmatist and I recognize that KO is trying to save his job. I will accept it this year without a huge complaint, but next year we have got a huge problem, if this is repeated. Don't tell me about neutral court games the way you demonstrate true "Fan Appreciation" is with a good home schedule.

I would grade this schedule as a D- with Villanova keeping it from a **.

How is KO trying to save his job by scheduling Oregon, Arizona, Villanova, Syracuse, Auburn and possibly schools like Michigan St. and Arkansas?

Reaction Score
What a piss poor home schedule. Used to donate a pretty good amount of $ to the program. I moved out of state so I don't donate anymore but I would be hard pressed to give if I was local. And I am sorry but the neutral court schedule is not enough to off set the BS conference schedule. Our SOS will suck.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with the schedule. When all is said and done, I think we will have one of the stronger non-conference schedules in the entire country. And we play in an absolute dumpster fire of a conference. This is about as much as I could ask for considering our circumstances.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What a piss poor home schedule. Used to donate a pretty good amount of $ to the program. I moved out of state so I don't donate anymore but I would be hard pressed to give if I was local. And I am sorry but the neutral court schedule is not enough to off set the BS conference schedule. Our SOS will suck.
You move out of state so you don't donate anymore???????????
OK

Reaction Score
You move out of state so you don't donate anymore???????????
OK
Yeah your right sounds bogus but my wife doesn't get it. Tough to sneak 10g out of the bank.

C

Chief00

How is KO trying to save his job by scheduling Oregon, Arizona, Villanova, Syracuse, Auburn and possibly schools like Michigan St. and Arkansas?
I addressed that in my post, about neutral court games. We need a filter for home games - fannies in the seats - our conference TV contract is far from lucrative. We need the home gate revenue.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have BU Columbia, Monmouth and Coppin State as Ws, that is a far cry from last year. Think positive

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wtf do you expect?

The 2011 Big East ain't walking through that door.

They can try to get as many P5 and NBE home and homes, but those leagues give their teams enough competition in league play they'll settle for neutral court OOC games.

Reaction Score
I addressed that in my post, about neutral court games. We need a filter for home games - fannies in the seats - our conference TV contract is far from lucrative. We need the home gate revenue.

You said KO had rigged an easier schedule in order to save his job.

C

Chief00

The link to the article on the schedule is two months old. Is there anything new here or just another reason for some of you to create another thread and bitch in a different place?

This week (8/14) we just added Stony Brook hardly old news - does that make you feel better about the home schedule?

C

Chief00

You said KO had rigged an easier schedule in order to save his job.
He approves the schedule. I am so sick of those who don't buy season tickets complaining about season ticket holders legitimately complaining about the OOC home schedule.

Reaction Score
He approves the schedule.

So then you are sticking to your point that Arizona, Villanova, Oregon, Syracuse, Auburn and possibly Michigan St and Arkansas is an easy OOC.

Reaction Score
The link to the article on the schedule is two months old. Is there anything new here or just another reason for some of you to create another thread and bitch in a different place?

Vuce I think you knew the answer already!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He approves the schedule. I am so sick of those who don't buy season tickets complaining about season ticket holders legitimately complaining about the OOC home schedule.

If only the AD had been allowed to conduct a comprehensive search and hire a coach who had a proven track record of effective scheduling.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have had season tickets for over 50 years (started with my late Dad) and I am not complaining about your complaining but trying hard to understand why some don't get why it's hard for a team like UConn to have a more attractive OOC schedule when all P5 teams look for easy OOC wins due to conference obligations. I have to go back to Stair's position - the OOC schedule looks pretty tough and attractive home or neutral site not withstanding.

C

Chief00

So then you are sticking to your point that Arizona, Villanova, Oregon, Syracuse, Auburn and possibly Michigan St and Arkansas is an easy OOC.

I specified home games in my post. Good try but too transparently untrue.
But overall not a bad RPI if we win the early neutral court games. However, that neutral /away part of the schedule this year KO had little to do with. Villanova and Cuse were TV deals. Auburn away was recriprocating when the AD bailed KO out after he failed to get a meaningful home OOC game last year. Oregon and the Nike field was a result of a long existing financial relationship with Nike. Jim used to use his coaching friends to get top HOME/HOME games.

C

Chief00

If only the AD had been allowed to conduct a comprehensive search and hire a coach who had a proven track record of effective scheduling.

Without realizing it you bring up a good point. Why did KO do well his first couple years then go on a downward trajectory? I think the part of the job he struggles with is running a program. That includes developing and executing a successful recruiting strategy and yes using his coaching network to schedule home/home OOC games. I am thinking over the years Stanford, Zona, Michigan State, KU, Indiana, UNC, TX, TN etc - these were all H/H series and all supported by JC's coaching connections.
I think with the right assistants and players KO can be a pretty good instinctive bench coach, it's the other things the concern me more.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Jim used to use his coaching friends to get top HOME/HOME games

With all respect to HCJC, Coach is the proper address - and I do know him - scheduling was easier when in the OBE - the stronger teams (No P5 nomenclature) loved a home and home with most any OBE team. I would think that our AD has many connections with the P5 ADs and has tried to get some match-ups.
I don't think its anywhere near as easy as you make it out to be
KO, at this point, doesn't have the pull of HCJC but HCJC had some real yawners of OOC schedule at home also

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our OOC schedule looks like it is going to be fine this year. Our strength of schedule looks like it is going to be fine this year. If we win games, we should have nice metrics. If we don't, it doesn't matter. The OP is complaining that our home schedule is weak from a standpoint of selling tickets. He may not be wrong about that. From a competitive standpoint though I don't think we can complain about the schedule. The team has to win. The good opportunities for wins are there this year.

Reaction Score
I specified home games in my post. Good try but too transparently untrue.
But overall not a bad RPI if we win the early neutral court games. However, that neutral /away part of the schedule this year KO had little to do with. Villanova and Cuse were TV deals. Auburn away was recriprocating when the AD bailed KO out after he failed to get a meaningful home OOC game last year. Oregon and the Nike field was a result of a long existing financial relationship with Nike. Jim used to use his coaching friends to get top HOME/HOME games.

So, Ollie deliberately went for an easy OOC home schedule to save his job.

But then he agreed to the most brutal OOC road schedule in America.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom