Holy Cross Coach Accused of Physical Abuse | The Boneyard

Holy Cross Coach Accused of Physical Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
FoxNews - Link

Gibbons has been at Holy Cross for 29 years. I don't want to believe that Gibbons did anything wrong.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
God forbid if any of these kids ever has to go to boot camp or wants to join one of the services. Is this the newest lawsuit trend? I hope there is nothing to any of it but if so there better be more than yelling and pulling a jersey.

Reaction Score
God forbid if any of these kids ever has to go to boot camp or wants to join one of the services. Is this the newest lawsuit trend? I hope there is nothing to any of it but if so there better be more than yelling and pulling a jersey.

th

It is the Barney generation

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Nah. Boot camps are suffering from the same crap. Please and thank you have replaced "get your a** moving maggot."

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I wasn't there and so I don't know what went on in those practices. Likewise, I haven't seen Geno at his frustrated worst either, but we do hear stories from time to time about epic tirades and we know he can be very sarcastic and foul-mouthed. Hopefully, nothing like this in UConn's future. If any of these players score a big payday as a result of these suits (rightfully or otherwise), I worry the suits might keep coming. Probably a good idea for coaches to do a little self-assessment and (as they do with the Xs and Os) adjust to the times as necessary.

Reaction Score

grabbing the back of her neck and causing pain is more. comparing college athletics to boot camp is quite a stretch.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Running wind sprints (suicides), lifting weights, running into screens, taking charges all cause pain, too, and are a part of development and learning to play through. What level of pain are we talking, did she end up in the trainer's office for treatment. Fine, that is an injury and is unacceptable. Did he make her say ouch, that is just a boo boo. Cuffing someone by the neck and redirecting them towards where they are supposed to be moving or cutting is cruelty, not really.

Putting people under durress is an important part of helping to prepare them to play under pressure. There are appropriate and inappropriate ways of doing it.

There suddenly seems to be a plethora of these incidents. Ambulance chasers or real protection: that is an important issue.

Reaction Score
Why file in NYC?

also, I could not tell which illustrious member of the Bar filed this little beauty....

Anybody want to take bets that this will be on the word processor - especially if the school tries to settle.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
NYPost Article - Link

psconn is correct when he states if a lawsuit is successful there will be more of them. Will Geno, Pat and others who are known as strict disciplinarians have charges leveled against them. I would think so, if LAWYERS can convince players that they can make substantial dollars with no expense to the players.

I did notice this suit was filed by a player who did not play for four years at Holy Cross. I suspect if there are other suits filed against other schools, it will be by players who haven't played for that school for four years.

Another question is, why was the lawsuit filed in NY and not in Mass?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Most likely it was filed in NY for reasons similar to why the suit against Geno was filed there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry, but if you can't stand being yelled at don't go to a division 1 school on an athletic scholarship. Am reminded of my childhood - Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me - obviously a simplification and words can be pretty devastating, but ...
I think we are creating a generation of children who have no chance of succeeding in the real world - youth teams don't lose and everyone gets a trophy, at birthday parties all the kids expect to get presents, teachers do not fail students because the paper work involved is so arduous and they will get no support from the admin, etc. etc.
Pretty soon we will see pre signing day contracts with prospective athletes on the order of 'I understand that by signing a let of intent to attend ____ university on an athletic scholarship, that I may be subject to verbal abuse by my coaching and training staff when I screw up. I may also be subject to occasional light physical contact from coaches when they try to redirect me into the correct position from the wrong position. In all this I absolve the university, administration, coaches, and my fellow athletes from any and all liability should I later decide this behavior could lead to a huge payday.'

Reaction Score
Look, I don't want to see that these charges are true, either, both because Gibbons has the reputation of being a good guy and, well, because I'm a Holy Cross grad. But this is not a case where the coach is charged with saying nasty words to players. He is charged with hitting at least one of them, hard enough to leave marks. Now, I do't know whether that's true any more than all of you do, but if that's the charge and if it's proven, it's a whole universe away from nasty words, IMHO.
http://www.masslive.com/news/worces...gibbon.html#incart_flyout_news#incart_m-rpt-2

Reaction Score
Sorry, but if you can't stand being yelled at don't go to a division 1 school on an athletic scholarship. Am reminded of my childhood - Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me - obviously a simplification and words can be pretty devastating, but ...
I think we are creating a generation of children who have no chance of succeeding in the real world - youth teams don't lose and everyone gets a trophy, at birthday parties all the kids expect to get presents, teachers do not fail students because the paper work involved is so arduous and they will get no support from the admin, etc. etc.
Pretty soon we will see pre signing day contracts with prospective athletes on the order of 'I understand that by signing a let of intent to attend ____ university on an athletic scholarship, that I may be subject to verbal abuse by my coaching and training staff when I screw up. I may also be subject to occasional light physical contact from coaches when they try to redirect me into the correct position from the wrong position. In all this I absolve the university, administration, coaches, and my fellow athletes from any and all liability should I later decide this behavior could lead to a huge payday.'

well said, try coaching these kids who want something for nothing (effort)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I knew something like this would be coming.

As I repeatedly say, it is a very messed up world we live in. Recent news articles about the girl suspended for going to pick up a drunk friend and the destruction of unsafe stamps (including one where a cartoon figure is doing a head stand without a helmet) continue to convince me that we have lost our basic common sense.

Part of that loss seems to be an inability to find where the boundary is between abuse and toughness. Apparently it isn't where it used to be.

Reaction Score
No coach has the right to touch a player in a physical manner. This has been around since Woody Hayes grabbed an opponents facemask in the 70's. Perceptions are tougher if the coach is a male and is managing females. Lately verbal abuse is less and less tolerated by players and parents (Bill Hollowady at Eastern). You can decry this evolution of what is acceptible behavior, and you could face a lawsuit and deal with it. It is real easy to find a lawyer and file one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Never thought of Gibbons as crazy and out of control on the sidelines.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I'm close to filing a lawsuit in New York against the Boneyard because of the excessive verbal abuse I take and have to endure as I read the unkind and uncomplementary things all of you say about me and each other. It's damaging to my psyche, and I'll be scarred by it for life. Someone better give me a trophy for particpating in this hurtful board.

Reaction Score
Why file in NYC?

also, I could not tell which illustrious member of the Bar filed this little beauty....

Actually it's a well-known attorney who has represented some well-known people in some large lawsuits. It is not some local fly-by-night attorney.

Reaction Score
Never thought of Gibbons as crazy and out of control on the sidelines.

You apparently haven't seen him coach in competitive games then. I've seen him a fair amount and would say he is frequently crazy and out of control. Far more than Geno or other coaches I have seen. A number of HC alums (and some players) have been embarassed by his behavior.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
You will need more than “embarrassment” and “out of control” to convince me, and hopefully a court, that he should be found legally responsible for his behavior…IAC, many will presume guilt simply with the accusation. Nothing new about that form of Scarlett Thinking.

My son competed at the Division I level, for 4 years, and I can assure all that it was tough, demanding and stressful at times…just like the sport he was preparing for.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am reminded by a noted comment by a famous player, different sport.

I have a wonderful book that compares Pittsburgh and Dallas (politics, culture, citizenry and, of course, pro football teams) in the 1970's. It is entitled, "The Ones Who Hit the Hardest."

The title is derived from a quite by Jack Lambert, HoF linebacker and arguably the most revered Steeler of all. Lambert:

"Football is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You apparently haven't seen him coach in competitive games then. I've seen him a fair amount and would say he is frequently crazy and out of control. Far more than Geno or other coaches I have seen. A number of HC alums (and some players) have been embarassed by his behavior.
That is fair enough because I only see him against UCONN and those games are never competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom