Holly's press conference | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Holly's press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I went to Catholic Schools too, a long time ago. If we got it wrong it was do it over, and over, rote. Father Taylor was the boogie man. Get called into his office then he and the boys talked basketball or baseball, never saw a girl get called into his sanctuary. Only once did I see any one struck by a Nun a boy who truly deserved it. He was struck once on the palm of his hand. A relative, in a school in Eastern Ct, was Mother Superior: all she had to do was look over her glasses and the school trembled; never raised a stick or hand.
We got whacked on the hands with a ruler in grade school in the late 50s. If you were actually bad the principal , a nun, would paddle you. Nothing brutal, but it was always in the back of your mind. I never got the paddle, but I probably should have. The cafeteria nun would look in your milk carton to see if you tried to dump your veggies. There was a line to return your tray and silverware and dump your garbage. If she found food in the milk carton, she would hold up the line and force you to eat it right out of the carton, Cold ,milky , disgusting veggies! Then she would tell everyone about the starving children who would be glad to have them. Then off to detention after school. So much for the good old days!

Reaction Score
I don't see berating, but maybe it is semantics, because after what 7 or 8 years of Holly and certainly for all those who signed up for the last few years, the slightest attention to her record would have advised them to stay away, but they took no heed. Not them. Not their AAU coaches. Not their parents.

Maybe Berate was too strong a word. However, as once was said: don't victimize the victims. In this case it is the Student (please note, not adult but Student) Athletes that are under UT and Hollys care/tutelage MAY be the victims in all this. Certainly, they are the victims if you can blame them in anyway for being seduced into going to play for Holly. They ARE KIDS when they are Signing LOI's. You don't have a great grasp on what parents to day can and cannot do with their children. You can't lock them in their rooms, tie them up, make them go to a school they don't choose. HS and AAU coaches have some leverage that is true. But be sure the kids will go where they will go. You are correct many people COULD have and maybe DID advise them and showed them the folly of following Holly. In the final word they will go where they are seduced (for what ever reason) by some thing as silly as a Jersey with their name on it.. Or their favorite friend decided to go (friends have more sway than ten parents).

Reaction Score
We got whacked on the hands with a ruler in grade school in the late 50s. If you were actually bad the principal , a nun, would paddle you. Nothing brutal, but it was always in the back of your mind. I never got the paddle, but I probably should have. The cafeteria nun would look in your milk carton to see if you tried to dump your veggies. There was a line to return your tray and silverware and dump your garbage. If she found food in the milk carton, she would hold up the line and force you to eat it right out of the carton, Cold ,milky , disgusting veggies! Then she would tell everyone about the starving children who would be glad to have them. Then off to detention after school. So much for the good old days!
I too heard the lectures of the starving children (in this case) in China. I too spent detention time. Spent one summer month 4 hours a day making up for having an impacted tooth and missing school for a week. It all built character and I am a better person for , I was told. Luckily, we brown bagged it. Amen, Amen G.O.D.'s

Reaction Score
Stubborn to a fault and choosing to ignore what she has done to the legacy PHS left. A great person doesn't do that.
I meant more outside of the basketball world. I’ve only heard pleasant things about her as a person. I do agree with you that she is determined to push any and all blame off on anyone but herself.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's a very painful presser to watch. I feel for Holly, but she is the head coach and it's her responsibility to instruct and motivate her players. She is failing at both. She also accepts no responsibility herself. She talks about effort, defense, and rebounding. Those were Pat's staples. Through the 1980s and 1990s, those things worked. They are not enough this millennium. Beyond that, Holly does not have the force of Pat's personality. When was the last time that Holly broke a clipboard? I don't see Holly having any success in her current position, as her limitations are glaring.

We play them next year? I like our chances.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I too heard the lectures of the starving children (in this case) in China. I too spent detention time. Spent one summer month 4 hours a day making up for having an impacted tooth and missing school for a week. It all built character and I am a better person for , I was told. Luckily, we brown bagged it. Amen, Amen G.O.D.'s
I brown bagged it nearly all the time, too. The cafeteria woman, Sister Flavian, was possessed! I spent far more detention time during my high school years than the grade school years. We had Saturday detention. Cleaned the school yards, emptied trash, and helped with lawn maintenance. Cheap labor!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

No nuns for me, but in public school my 5th grade teacher had a huge jar filled with whitish gray paste and if you lipped off or used foul language you got to eat a generous dollop of this muck! e rapidly became a very decorous bunch of ruffians.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But a completely ignorant, un-self aware person does do that! Voila-“Holly” :rolleyes:

One of the recent refrains
is that she's no disciple of Einstein
rather an air-head of limited ablity

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I would not say private. Catholic schools for 12 years. Bunch of stuff thrown together and cooked. Casserole or not? You tell me. If you get it wrong the nuns will whack you!

All my grandkids go to Catholic schools. Every one says the cafeteria food sucks - including casseroles. However, everyone of them is getting a great education.

Reaction Score
Isn't it amazing that Lady Vol Nation is quick to point out their proud history, anoint themselves the incubator of WCBB.... claim that it was their program which lit the fire to spring WCBB into the mainstream popularity....

Yet its present coach says nothing at press conferences except "well we just didn't hustle tonight the other team just wanted it more" .... and does not have a clue on how to coach the talented players she gets to go to Knoxville.... LVs are once proud program but Holly has successfully in 7 yrs as HC and another one as Acting HC.... embarrassed the school and the sport by the way.... immeasurably

Reaction Score
Tenn does NOT recruit the wrong players. Holly needs a fire lit under her. The idea that the team must decide to play all the time, give 100 percent all the time, be energetic all the time, and play with intensity is ONLY coming from the players: Hey Holly---if Pat or Geno had kids that only gave 40 percent there would be a price to be payed. Pat had no problem taking the locker room away from the team for lack of energy--it harsh, but it works. Geno will practice longer and harder until his team gave 140 percent for 80 minutes. The coach leads, the team follows.
Holly has a team loaded with talent. Holly apparently knows the fundamental of coaching but not of motivation of stick and carrot adjustments. Geno recently said he was their coach not their friend (at least until their Senior year) . Friends makes requests, coaches/leader make demands and make sure those demands are met.
Could Holly do it now? Probably not, but if she dug down deep into her Pat's book, observed Christine she'd get a good idea of how to do it.
Geno sat 2 of his best ever players for the final 35 minutes for not playing up to his Standards, Stewie, and Tuck.

Reaction Score
Russell sits all but unused at the end of Seattle's bench; or sat. Mercedes Russell WNBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com Doubt she comes out of camp this year.

I did call the players who by apple buy over statistics "dunderheads" and there is the whole survival of the species appeal to your argument favoring Holly's unending longevity as Tenn coach. ;)
Dan Hughes resigned Russell, so they might feel a training camp will help. Playing overseas, and being around Stewie should help.

Reaction Score
All Holly had to do is go by what Miss. State did last weekend. Vandy could not handle the full court press and turned the ball over too much (need to fix that, Steph).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All Holly had to do is go by what Miss. State did last weekend. Vandy could not handle the full court press and turned the ball over too much (need to fix that, Steph).
There is a significant difference between a Vic Schaefer coached pressure defense and a HW coached pressure defense. MS St is relentless and well coached. The LV’s are neither. TN did press for much of the game against Vandy. They forced very few turnovers and Vandy frequently broke the press and got easy layups at the other end.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Trying to get inside the mind of a teenager is a perilous endeavor. I don’t think most of these kids think very much about whether or not they will improve at TN. All these kids are stars in HS and AAU ball. They just assume it will be the same in college.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
All my grandkids go to Catholic schools. Every one says the cafeteria food sucks - including casseroles. However, everyone of them is getting a great education.
The more things change, the more they stay the same! :)

Reaction Score
You are 17/18. You are a STAR. You are offered by a Storied program historically once the top of the heap.You visit Uconn and it is WORK. You see coach Holly running soft practices not pushing hard. HEY FOLKS I JUST GOT INTO WCBB HEAVEN. I'm going to play and float through 4 years and cuz I'm a star I'll go first in the WNBA draft. I'm 17/18 and invincible !! Don't give them too much credit for analysis!

Reaction Score
She doesn’t have the coaching experience and she’d be tough to pry away from her current gig...but for me, the Vols couldn’t go wrong in choosing Kara Lawson as their next coach. She a Pat/Lady Vol product, who obviously knows her basketball and is more than worth the gamble. ( Hey, the Yankees did it and doesn’t appear to be a problem for them ....as of yet).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She doesn’t have the coaching experience and she’d be tough to pry away from her current gig...but for me, the Vols couldn’t go wrong in choosing Kara Lawson as their next coach. She a Pat/Lady Vol product, who obviously knows her basketball and is more than worth the gamble. ( Hey, the Yankees did it and doesn’t appear to be a problem for them ....as of yet).

She's coached a what, WNBA NBA Celebrity Game? Not prying her out of a career for an ant hill.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And please, I would like you to list all of the great life choices you made when you were 16 and 17. Perhaps with our magic TV we can view and then excoriate you for all of the boneheaded moves you made then. This time however we'll do it in front of a million people.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Who's talking about athletics? How about that great decision to be a rock star when you found you could play actually play the guitar marginally well and still shower only twice a week? Let's have a few million people watch you fumble around your school stage in filthy jeans. Then lets have a bunch of people criticize your life choice. In print. "Gee, I wonder who told that idiot he had talent?" "He deserves the non talent he surrounds himself with". "He deserves to fail". The truth is few of us made good life decisions at that age. I know I sure didn't, and these talented young ladies, babies really, are supposed to have the wherewithal to choose the right path. Then have a bunch of non athletes criticize them if or when their situation doesn't work out. I mean no one ever said life is easy, but few of us get to work out our failures in front of millions, then stand there passively while people publicly lambast you.

Reaction Score
There is a significant difference between a Vic Schaefer coached pressure defense and a HW coached pressure defense. MS St is relentless and well coached. The LV’s are neither. TN did press for much of the game against Vandy. They forced very few turnovers and Vandy frequently broke the press and got easy layups at the other end.

Tenn. ran a pretty weak press. Miss. State ran a full court press which is what Holly should've prepared for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom